1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Suzuki V Strom 650 vs. 2013 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Aug 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    It is time to get a full size bike again. I was 100% dead set on the V Strom 650 since it fit my needs best (on paper) but wished it was just a hair lighter/smaller/better fuel economy, etc.

Then enters the 2013 Honda CB500X. It's not an adventure bike to clarify from the get go. But it is lighter, smaller, better FE, etc. than the Strom.

I need to test ride both but would like any input from riders here.

2012 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS
    V-Twin
    Length - 90.2
    Width - 32.9
    Height - 55.3

Wheelbase - 61.4
    Ground clearance - 6.9
    Seat Height - 32.9
    Weight - 472
    Fuel capacity - 5.3
    Fuel economy - about 55?
    Hp & Tq - ? & ? @ ? & ?

2013 Honda CB500X ABS
    Parallel Twin
    L - 81.6
    W - 32.4
    H - ?
    Wheelbase - 55.9 (1.5 less than strom)
    GC - ?
    Seat Height - 31.9 (1" less than strom and same as my XT225)
    Weight - 430 (42 lbs less than Strom)
    Fuel capacity - 4.5 (0.8 less)
    FE - about 65 ish (10 better than Strom, off or real world not EPA)
    Hp & Tq - 48 & 31.7 @ 8.5k & 7k.

I'm honestly leaning toward the Honda now, since I'm 5'8", 158lbs and don't really intend on going off road with either bike. That's what the dirt bikes are for, I just like to be able to hop a curb and go down a nasy back road or through a rough spot to get to where I want to if need be.

This will be a commuter and highway tourer. No more than 8 hours on the road most likely. That's the farthest I've gone on a bike anyway.

The Strom is the better bike, period. No debating it. The Honda is meant for the market of people bumping up from a 250 and is definitely NOT off road capable or an adventure bike in any way. But I'm not sure I need more than what the Honda is. My only worry is they didn't move the foot pegs forward on the "X" version and I HATE having my feet behind me like a sport bike.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Please feel free to chime in and weigh in on the subject. I've called and called and no place nearby has either bike for a test ride so in the mean time I am just tumbling it around. For all I know I will ride them and hate one and love the other, love them both, or even dislike them both, but so far, on paper, I am definitely getting one of these bikes, and am actually leaning toward the Honda simply because it would make a good commuter, weekend warrior, and highway rider, all while being very economical.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Aug 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Where's old man Rich at when you need him?

3. Aug 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    More nimble and better FE are calling my name haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Aug 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    I have never met anyone with a Strom who had anything bad to say about it.

as for the honda, don't know enough about 'em
    only seen one since they got release

5. Aug 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    That's why I'm torn between the two haha

Test rides would settle the debacle, but those remain to be near impossible in this neck of the woods. Short of ordering one blind and hoping I like it I'm pretty much playing the wait/keep looking game.

6. Aug 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I'm still waiting to hear back from another dealer about a test ride but as long as that goes well I've pretty much made my mind up on paper.

I'm just thinking out loud here:

Features important to me:

-Small and nimble enough for commuting (and fun enough to put a smile on).

-Lightweight (<450#-ish).

-Above average FE (65-70+).

-Low seat (<32") and upright seating position (the rearward pegs worry me some on the Honda)

-Comfortable/powerful enough to cruise highway at 75+ (and pass) for at least 450-500 miles.

-Ability to go over rough terrain when need be, but not daily.

The CB500X fits the bill for most of these. The only other bikes that outdo it that I can think of are lacking the upright riding position and ability to go through some rough stuff if need be, ie sport bikes.

If anyone has suggestions for a similar bike that fits the bill I am up for anything but I am just missing my full size bikes and will likely buy this Fall or next Spring at the latest. I just want to ride again and the XT225 doesn't exactly get me out on the highway . . .

Strom, again, is the superior bike. I just don't need all of what it offers. This is the only bike that's similar to what I want (Honda CB500X ABS).

EDIT: reading back over this post I realized I pretty much need to mate a supermoto with the comforts of a highway tourer haha

7. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    tinker_troy

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    Like a KTM SM-T!
    but no way it's getting that kind of gas mileage.

the more I read on the honda the better it sounds

8. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I've been considering lots of old bikes but to be honest I'm fully aware that what I'm looking for in a bike is a tall order and very few will fit the bill. At first I didn't like that the Honda was very entry level / budget. Then I thought about it. Who am I kidding. Anything more would be paying for stuff I don't need or use.

For reference I have a very bad spine, hands, hip etc and shouldn't even be riding but refuse to give it up. I can't allow myself to have anything fast or anything I can jump too much because I WILL use it as intended and hurt myself more.

So this will have just enough oomph and comfort to hit the highway from Aberdeen to Lincoln for 450 miles and go to the occasional national park or campground as well as be small and nimble enough to have some fun commuting. FE figures look promising as well.

9. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Still not impressed that they didn't move the footpegs forward on the X model though. I'm going to hate that most likely . . .

10. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I would take the 650 Vstrom any day, all day over that Honda and over the NC700X as well..

11. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I fully and completely understand that it is the superior bike, but for my application (commuting and occasional highway jaunt) could you perhaps be more specific as to why.

It's the better bike, period. But more than I need in some categories and not quite as small, nimble and fuel efficient. I'm open to rational suggestions/discussion any time, but other than the stupid peg position, the Honda seems good to go for my personal practical application.

12. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I'm just saying bewteen those two bikes, I would take the 650 no questions. I would pick it because it fits my needs better. You already know which one you like, so you need to get what you like and stop asking us LOL, I'm kidding! I've asked for peoples input before, even though I already knew what I wanted.

You may find that you might want to use your 500 more than just commuting someday and get tired of the 500 quick. You won't outgrow the 650 anytime soon. I'm a power whore and neither of those 2 will make me smile like 110-160 RWHP can but I know the 650 will be much better lugging on the freeway than the 500 more maxed out on the RPM's on the freeway. It's like the KLR650 when people can't understand why it burns oil when they try and ride it across country LOL. I find it hard to believe that the peg postion is all that much different on the 500 than the 650? Are you really short? or something?

What's the MPG difference between that 500 and the NC700?

13. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    5-10 difference is what I've seen. I'm not interested in the NC though.

I hear ya, man. And to be honest, when I made this thread I was still up in the air entirely, but the more I think about it and all the more I'm making up my mind.

I said earlier as well, I shouldn't even be riding. My spine and hands are in pretty bad pain daily, among many other issues. I just can't give it up. I can't have a "fast" bike, the same way I can't have a performance car. I WILL, undoubtedly, break something haha. Honestly, I just want to commute and travel on two wheels again and the 2006 XT225 isn't cutting it.

The Honda is just a sport bike with upright bars and a little more travel. It will be more nimble and easier for my busted spine to throw around. More fun around town I would imagine. Until I test drive all is speculation and hearsay.

I appreciate the feedback. Were I fit for longer rides, or lower corners I wouldn't be looking at something practical :) but I'm not, so I'm just looking for the smiles that two wheels give me :)

14. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    To answer your question, I'm 5' 8" with a 30" inseam and about 155lbs. The seat height on my dual sport dirt bike is exactly the same height as the Honda and I can reach, but there's not a lot of room to spare.

15. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I'm assuming there is a large margin of error but for what it's worth this is a pretty cool website.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

16. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:

In the end it's all about riding and enjoying yourself. My first bike I had was a Honda street legal XL250. It was slow of course but a hell of a lot faster then pedaling or walking, so it was all good. I have more memories of that ride than any bike or car to date.

17. Aug 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  18. Aug 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    tinker_troy

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    link no work?
    just takes me to youtube

19. Aug 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Hmm, let my try on my laptop instead of my phone.

Should work now. I hope.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  20. Aug 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I ride an 800lb cruiser that gets 30mpg.

Never did finish the resto on the two '81 CB750s.

Products Discussed in

To Top