1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd motorcycle behavior

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by dayNnite4, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sep 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 [OP] We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    I recently bought an 04 kawasaki ninja with 8500 miles. I cleaned the carb and changed the plugs first things first and was told it had new gas in the tank. Today, after riding fine all day yesterday, I was on the highway going about 80 and the power slowly decreased till I had to pull onto the shoulder and died. The engine will start only if the throttle is turned and till rev up to 10k rpm but if you let go of the throttle completely, it does and it'll move on it own but not above 5 mph and 4k rpm. I'm suspecting bad gas but before I drain it all and get a tank of new gas, what do you all think? I filled up a few days ago but like I said, it rode fine all day yesterday with that gas in it. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Sep 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    8500 miles on an '04? It's been a garage queen. The carbs are likely fouled and need to be overhauled. Stored my dirtbike for 6 months in the desert without fuel stabilizer and the jets were plugged with a green corrosion. Fucking ethanol.

3. Sep 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    When you cleaned the carbs did you take all the jets out and clean them? Blow out the pilot circuit? Is there a fuel filter? Have you checked it?

4. Sep 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 [OP] We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    sprayed carb cleaner through every port/jet and thoroughly cleaned the carb. I've put about 150 miles on it since the carb clean and this is the first issue I've had. Fuel is flowing through the petcock as fuel is in the line when disconnected from the petcock and an attempted start.

5. Sep 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I did that too... wouldn't clean the ethanol corrosion out. I had to wire-probe out the passages I could, and I replaced all of the jets. The emulsion tube was trash.

But since you've put 150 on it without problems, I would suspect something else.
    It could be the fuel (may have just gotten a tank of bad gas), but it could also be a coil pack or igniter going out.

6. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    nj636

nj636 Hub Master General

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Jersey
    OME lift 4x sliders 4x skids
    what model is this?

7. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Carbs need a deep clean since its been sitting for so long but also consider the fuel pump and filter. If the gas fouled then it would have gummed up in the lines/pump/filter. Maybe you threw a clot?

8. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Start simple, change the fuel filter. My old bike did that to me once and it turned out to be a plugged fuel filter because there was some light rust in the tank. Water in the fuel could do that also and the way to get rid of that would be to drain the tank. I would drain the tank into a clear container, let it sit and see if it layers out, that would tell you if water got into the tank. When you drain it, make sure you drain the carb bowls also.

Products Discussed in

To Top