1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying an older R1

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by MowTaco, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Oct 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    For the record, that helmet isn't one of the flip up ones haha. It broke like that, I wonder how the rider fared. I wouldn't think it was fatal (I bet if the pictures were overly graphic he wouldn't have sent them) but it could've been judging by that helmet.

I do want to look at it eventually to check the straightness of the frame. He says it's straight but I'm guessing it's got a few less degrees of rake now than it came from the factory with :)

2. Oct 30, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    id say wear gear kiddos ;)

friendly reminder of what a small one looks like

[​IMG]

3. Nov 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    signalbobby

signalbobby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    18 Rapturd
    sweating is always better than bleeding.

4. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Bringing this tread back up, just saw it..
    I'd buy it if the price was right, about a G and that's if everything worked fine mechanically. If it had the valve adjustments done, this is a good bike with a strong frame and it will keep on running. This was the first bike I owned and learned to ride on. '01, last of the carbs. I wouldn't even dare compare it to a new 600, maybe a gixxer 750. The power curve is smooth and you don't need to wind it up like a 600 to get into some power. Very forgiving and also rewarding experience to ride this bike. I'm not too sure, but I don't think that the championship edition in this bike offered anything more than the limited edition fairings. Its not like it came with ohlins suspension or anything like that.

I've ridden the ninja 250s too, and I'd get the R1 cheap, zip tie those fairings and have at it! I'd rather have the old carb'ed R1 vs the 02/03. The second gen feels lacking in the power and throttle response, due to the way the fuel injection is. If I remember correctly it is a throttle body injection. If you are a wheelie guy, though, the 02/03 is a better bike. Better balance point and with the softer throttle response, you can keep it up till you lose the rear brakes.

Now I'm missing my R1...

5. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Dug up some pics.
    Akrapovic Titanium slip on, rejetted carb, scott's damper (necessary item), down one/up two on the gears, and metzeler sportec m3s. Fun bike to learn on. I was never a wheelie guy, but I had this thing scraping the pegs on the street. The frame and swing arm was fully polished when I got it. Miss that bike. Sold it after a friend went down and didn't make it. So it just sat for awhile.. Have fun, but be smart and wear your gear!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I the back, my old accord ex 5spd, sohc vtec, 50 shot. Fun times!

6. Dec 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Already passed on it for an 05 zx6r, but it's still for sale. Yours looks way cleaner than this one did in pictures, sweet bike

7. Dec 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Thanks, it didn't look like that when I got it, ahaha. The R1 was a stunt bike, had no taillights and a bent front wheel from a pothole. Took some time and a whole lot of hand polishing to get it looking like that!

Congrats on the 636! That's a great bike as well. Ram air, good fuel injection, they're a blast to ride. It even has beter aerodynamics than my 05 zx10r. You got pics? Here's mine.

[​IMG]

8. Dec 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Just one I snapped on the way home. Here she is next to my other blue ninja (250):
    20131127_170653_zps04f5fee3_2878ce33dd5dc38c89b79a4816676619a1ac84e0.jpg

I only rode it for a short time to check it out mechanically (mostly to hammer on 2nd gear a little to see if it's been abused, obviously it checked out cause I loaded her up and took her home :D) It was freezing, about 15 degrees. Froze my toes but holy shit it was awesome since I was used to a 250. Think I'm gonna add some frame sliders to it but that's about it for now and a more legal license plate mount/light but other than that I'm happy with it (for now...)

9. Dec 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Nice! They look like brothers, side by side.

10. Dec 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Yup. They got into a shouting match while I was winterizing them, I poured sta-bil in both and was running them to get it worked into the carbs/FI system and couldn't resist revving the piss out of both of them at the same time. Needless to say big brother won haha

11. Mar 3, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    I'll bring back this thread as well as it looks like a great opportunity to share with other people looking at buying a bike.

Having purchased over 25 bikes and still currently own 7, I think you did the right thing by walking away. Way to many red flags on this one.

Things to point out,

1. Wrecked
    2. Lien
    3. 7 previous owners
    4. 8th person holding title
    5. 25,000 miles(not to bad exept for the amount of previous owners)
    6. Costs to bring bike back to original(exceeds value of bike)
    7. Bike has a bad history, hard to resell

These were the things that popped out at me. Hang in there for the right bike, don't be tempted by a cheap price!

12. Aug 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    Soldier84r1

Soldier84r1 New Member

Member:
    And now comes the fuuuukk my life. Why didn't i get that can't even find one barely anymore. Super rare bike!! Js

13. Aug 31, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    Soldier84r1

Soldier84r1 New Member

Member:
    I smashed up a zx9 worse then this and it's back on the road. My bet is frame isn't bent bc if it were then the front rim would have taken a lick. We're talkin buckled infer into the radiator with a large dent wheel won't spin. That's what happened to mine and let me tell you it was slightly by the smallest bit ever bent. 5 times over worse then this little ding. I could only pray to find this now. Lol you could have sold the ohlins suspension for 900 to 1k alone now let's talk tank. Authentic tank yes it was can tell from the crash pics. The tail mint so tank eh 400 with the quickness the tail 250 easy champions seats 200 bucks engine with 25k...1200 pretty quick. Parting it out you could easily double to Tripple the money. It was always a go here. They made limited supply. Supply and demand. There's an enormous demand for such things. The nose I've never even seen one for sale except a banged up one as a set of crappy fairings. I just bought that same tank got it in today for 500 bucks and I consider myself lucky to get it. Food for thought my bike life peeps

Products Discussed in

To Top