1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dirt Bike suspension

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Cr250jumper, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Aug 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper [OP] Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    In the middle of doing a full rebuild on my suspension, I have a 2003 CR250, replacing all seals, most bushings, and found I have Race Tech gold valves so I figured might as well revalve while I have them apart. I miss my old suspension so going with a FMX/Supercross, A class, standard age/height/gas tank for 165lbs. So wondering if anyone else does their own suspension work or tuning? It seems tough but actually pretty easy once you have taken them apart and see how they work

In pieces :D

[​IMG]

Shock valve stack, rebound on the top and compression on the bottom

[​IMG]

2. Aug 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    I used to do my WP's until I took them over to see what GDR in Wilkesboro, NC could do with them. Huge difference. Now I just play with the clickers. :D

3. Aug 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    Cr250jumper

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Generally I would agree and have always had someone else do it too. But I had the same bike a few years ago and just copying the suspension it had before, I havent ridden on it yet, so I may be wrong but I think it will be pretty easy :eek:

4. Aug 25, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Nice work Cr250jumper.

I have done suspension work on my own dirt bikes many times over the years. Changing springs and seals, replacing bushings etc. The factory manuals from Honda & Yamaha usually are pretty good, plus a ton of info on you tube & web now a days.

FYI, the rear shock is charged with nitrogen usually. I had to go to an airport years ago to get my shock re-charged. I think some car dealerships have nitrogen now.

Good luck.

5. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM
    Cr250jumper

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Thanks. Yeah I have a nitrogen setup for the shocks on my truck so I can charge it myself. With 6 shocks and 2 bump stops on my truck filled with nitrogen it was worth the investment lol

6. Aug 25, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    I have the nitro and all the tools, tried a few times with different bikes, multiple times and I finally came to the conclusion that I suck at valving....
    I have TBT racing as a sponsor now so I aint fuckin with it no more, lol.

There is so much more to it than I thought...I think it has a lot to do with experience which I apparently dont have enough of. Good luck!! hope you do better than I did.

7. Aug 25, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Im trying to diagnose a squeak in my rear suspension. 03 YZ250. Of course I cant hear it when the bike is running but to me if its squeaking, it needs lubrication.

8. Aug 25, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    Doing it isn't hard.

Doing it right is an art.

Doing it without making a giant mess is freaking impossible!

9. Oct 21, 2014 at 3:35 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Been doing moto suspension since the mid 1970's. Yes, back when Fox first started and Dual AIRSHOX were common. Since then I've done some racecars, roadrace bikes, drag bikes, street bikes and opened a bussiness in the mid 90's rebuilding and modifying MTB rear suspension and forks.

Still work on the stuff more as a hobby for myself and friends. Recently friends are trying to pull me from Suspension Retirement.

Quoted from the previous post...

Doing it isn't hard.

Doing it right is an art.

Doing it without making a giant mess is freaking impossible!

The first two are 100% correct, the third about the mess, with experience it is less messy.

PK

10. Oct 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    elgringoloco

elgringoloco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Have you washed the bike recently? Sometimes the wiper seal on rear shocks can squeak when they 'stick' to the shaft. Smear a little hi-temp, light grease on the shaft, then cycle the shock a few times. If that doesn't do it- pull the shock off and check the bearing on the top, where it mounts to the frame/subframe.

11. Dec 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    teamfast

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Im halfway(?) through a teardown of my 03 YZ250.
    Most of it is in good shape but the swingarm bearings were totally shot. Rusted and broken needle bearings, a real shitshow.

To remove the bearings I am using a large c clamp with two sockets on each end to push them through. The outside bearing moved in until it is touching the inside bearing but now it wont move. I can apply heat and penetrant. If that doesnt work, is it safe to try and hammer them out? I dont want to destroy my swingarm.

12. Dec 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    elgringoloco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Check for any circlips or bearing seats. They may only press in/out in one direction.

13. Dec 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I'd love to do my own suspension but I dont have that much knowledge on them to work on them on my own. Just got my rebuilt and revalved last year along with the steering stabilizer and what a huge difference!! :eek:

14. Dec 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    teamfast

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    Got one side out. Using the socket and a BFH. The other side though is missing all of the needles on the outside bearing and the housing lip is missing 1/3. It may be required to cut and dissect that one out instead of trying to move it. I fear it might collapse.

15. Dec 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    teamfast

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    So here are the bearings and components after removal. They had to be taken out with a dremel. Absolutley pitiful condition. The linkage bearings on the other hand look good to go.

DSC04442.jpg
    DSC04444.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  16. Dec 24, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    elgringoloco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Yeah, you want to grease your bearings after every wash

17. Dec 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    teamfast

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    But that's after every ride. Maybe I can incorporate a zerk.

18. Jan 26, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    teamfast

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    Swingarm bearing installation went well.
    Moving on to the rear shock now.
    The only issues i have with the rear shock is that the bump stop (or rubber jounce) is completely rotten and falling off. Ill have to disassemble the entire shock to get at this wont I? I have the spring off, that's it.
    Also, I would bet the fluid in the shock is original.

19. Jan 26, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    Cr250jumper

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    yes the shock has to be disassembled :(

20. Jan 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM
    teamfast

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB

Products Discussed in

To Top