1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycle Question....

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Adair09, May 25, 2009.

1. May 25, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    Adair09

Adair09 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma single cab
    Lots to come
    As the title said I'm looking at getting a bike. I found a deal on a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic. Its for sale for $2000. Heres the catch it needs a starter. Does anyone know what one is worth? Also if anyone knew the average life of one of these yamaha motorcycles is that would be great. This particular one has 50,000.

Any help is appreciated

Bob

2. May 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Suggested retail for one on KBB is $4K. That would be low miles and mint condition.

A starter is about $400 from the dealer. You can find one on ebay. New ones there look like they run around $200.

I'm not familiar with the reliability of a V-Star, but for a bike that size, I wouldn't think 50K is too bad. It is high, but that just means it wasn't sitting around collecting dust. I bought a Kawasaki Concours with 45K and have put 40K miles on it. As with anything, but especially a bike, it depends on how well it was taken care of and how it was ridden. You'll want to check out the suspension (fork seals, pitting on the forks) and brake system really well, maybe replace the fluids. Also, check out the driveshaft splines to make sure it's been lubed and isn't too worn. You might look at the date on the tires too to make sure they're not too old.

Note that some motorcycle shops won't work on a bike that old. They've been known to get stuck with a bike that the owner decided it was too expensive to pay for the repairs after it has already been done.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. May 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    50,000MILES is a TON for a bike. do lots of research...

4. May 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Bob.....know one thing...and understand it is the infallible statistical truth....you ARE going to go down on the bike. It WILL happen.....the question is simply how badly will you be injured.

5. May 25, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    Adair09

Adair09 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma single cab
    Lots to come
    I should have been more specific there 50,000 km on the bike. I think thats like 31,000 miles.
    As far as the going down on the bike, I'm no speed demon, more of a cruiser, so hopefully injury wont be that bad ;) Thanks for the posts so far. keep them coming.

6. May 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    well im no expert on this but looking at a few sites, if it is just the starter motor, it will run you about $4-500. if everything needs replaced, its going to be alot more. I have heard the V Stars are good bikes. The classics are pretty nice. im actually in the market for a bike and that is one of the choices i have. you might like the suzuki boulevard c50. those bikes are running around 3k around here with decent miles. I have heard thought that as long as maintenance is kept up and the bike is taken care of, it will last for quite a while. as for dropping the bike. it WILL happen. its just one of those things. it makes you better in the long run too. Being on a bigger bike will also make it harder to handle at lower speeds. make sure your wearing the right gear!

Good luck finding a bike! check out craigslist, cycle trader, go and pick up a motorcycle classifides from your local gas station. You will find some decent bikes in there.

Ride safe!

Aaron

7. May 25, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    branct06

branct06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    The way i look at it motorcycles dont last s long as cars to relate the mileage of a bike to a car multiply the bikes mileage by 4 and that should be close to a cars mileage so u buying that bike would be like buying a car with 200,000 miles...... now if that car is a tacoma u still have a few hundred thousand miles left lol but u get the idea

8. May 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    branct06

branct06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    o my bad thats kilometers so it would be like a car with around 130,000 miles

9. May 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i got one last year, enjoyed it, but i get bored with things easily...So mine with 2,800 miles is for sale.

10. May 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Not always. One of the easiest bike's I've ever had was a 1981 Honda Goldwing. The low center of gravity made the bike a dream at very slow speeds (less than 10mph). The engine sat low and the fuel tank was under the seat, plus the rider sat upright in the middle of the bike. It was very easy to turn lock to lock. I went through an advanced Rider course where the instructor (a former CHP motorcycle officer) set up tight lock-to-lock obstacles. We were doing lock to lock turns both sitting down and standing on the pegs. We also got to the point where we were doing side-by-side (chp style) u-turns. You had to turn the bike within the width of a traffic lane (inside rider nearest the median went wide to the outside of the lane while the outside rider turned inside of him to become the rider by the median). The Harley Electra Glide & Road King are two others that perform well at slow speeds.

Sport bikes, which are very light, can be very difficult to handle as slow speeds due to the turning radius (not much travel in the handlebars), forward seating position and the high center of gravity. It makes the bike harder to balance at slow speeds.

Cruisers can be a handful because of the raked fork, narrow handlebars and laid back seating.

11. May 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3

I know there are a few out there that are super easy but the majority of the bikes can be difficult. I was aiming more at the difficult ones. Was that advance class pretty fun? sry for the thread jack

12. May 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    its a nice looking bike. i was looking at them, but settled on the honda because i liked the way it looked. if its a started im assuming you can push start it to prove it runs?

13. May 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar

Odds are very high you will dump it, but I disagree with the "fact" of saying he WILL go down. I had a motorcycle for 3 years and never went down. Crotch rocket was pushed to my limits. Sold it because I knew I would hurt myself going 170mph. Too much power to be easily abused.

Ride within YOUR limits not your friends'.

harleypower69 likes this.
  14. May 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.

Sorry but this is a wrong statement! :mad:
    I put 42,000 miles on my Concours in 3 years and it was still new!
    Many Japanese bikes can get over 100,000 miles and still be great.

IT all depends on how it is cared for! :)
    You need to check out the bikes maintenance record and have a good shop look at it.
    A 2000 is still 9 years old and THAT may be a deciding factor.

Good Luck and ride safe!

Yuma, Taco

15. May 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    Adair09

Adair09 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma single cab
    Lots to come
    Can you push start a bike like this?

16. May 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM