Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Motorcycle Question....

Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Adair09 is on a distinguished road
Adair09's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycle Question....

As the title said I'm looking at getting a bike. I found a deal on a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic. Its for sale for $2000. Heres the catch it needs a starter. Does anyone know what one is worth? Also if anyone knew the average life of one of these yamaha motorcycles is that would be great. This particular one has 50,000.

Any help is appreciated

Bob
Old 05-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair09 View Post
As the title said I'm looking at getting a bike. I found a deal on a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic. Its for sale for $2000. Heres the catch it needs a starter. Does anyone know what one is worth? Also if anyone knew the average life of one of these yamaha motorcycles is that would be great. This particular one has 50,000.

Any help is appreciated

Bob
Suggested retail for one on KBB is $4K. That would be low miles and mint condition.

A starter is about $400 from the dealer. You can find one on ebay. New ones there look like they run around $200.

I'm not familiar with the reliability of a V-Star, but for a bike that size, I wouldn't think 50K is too bad. It is high, but that just means it wasn't sitting around collecting dust. I bought a Kawasaki Concours with 45K and have put 40K miles on it. As with anything, but especially a bike, it depends on how well it was taken care of and how it was ridden. You'll want to check out the suspension (fork seals, pitting on the forks) and brake system really well, maybe replace the fluids. Also, check out the driveshaft splines to make sure it's been lubed and isn't too worn. You might look at the date on the tires too to make sure they're not too old.

Note that some motorcycle shops won't work on a bike that old. They've been known to get stuck with a bike that the owner decided it was too expensive to pay for the repairs after it has already been done.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
50,000MILES is a TON for a bike. do lots of research...
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Bob.....know one thing...and understand it is the infallible statistical truth....you ARE going to go down on the bike. It WILL happen.....the question is simply how badly will you be injured.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Adair09's Tacoma Gallery
I should have been more specific there 50,000 km on the bike. I think thats like 31,000 miles.
As far as the going down on the bike, I'm no speed demon, more of a cruiser, so hopefully injury wont be that bad Thanks for the posts so far. keep them coming.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
well im no expert on this but looking at a few sites, if it is just the starter motor, it will run you about $4-500. if everything needs replaced, its going to be alot more. I have heard the V Stars are good bikes. The classics are pretty nice. im actually in the market for a bike and that is one of the choices i have. you might like the suzuki boulevard c50. those bikes are running around 3k around here with decent miles. I have heard thought that as long as maintenance is kept up and the bike is taken care of, it will last for quite a while. as for dropping the bike. it WILL happen. its just one of those things. it makes you better in the long run too. Being on a bigger bike will also make it harder to handle at lower speeds. make sure your wearing the right gear!

Good luck finding a bike! check out craigslist, cycle trader, go and pick up a motorcycle classifides from your local gas station. You will find some decent bikes in there.

Ride safe!

Aaron
Old 05-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
branct06 has a spectacular aura aboutbranct06 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Thomas
branct06's Tacoma Gallery
The way i look at it motorcycles dont last s long as cars to relate the mileage of a bike to a car multiply the bikes mileage by 4 and that should be close to a cars mileage so u buying that bike would be like buying a car with 200,000 miles...... now if that car is a tacoma u still have a few hundred thousand miles left lol but u get the idea
Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i got one last year, enjoyed it, but i get bored with things easily...So mine with 2,800 miles is for sale.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
Being on a bigger bike will also make it harder to handle at lower speeds. make sure your wearing the right gear!
Not always. One of the easiest bike's I've ever had was a 1981 Honda Goldwing. The low center of gravity made the bike a dream at very slow speeds (less than 10mph). The engine sat low and the fuel tank was under the seat, plus the rider sat upright in the middle of the bike. It was very easy to turn lock to lock. I went through an advanced Rider course where the instructor (a former CHP motorcycle officer) set up tight lock-to-lock obstacles. We were doing lock to lock turns both sitting down and standing on the pegs. We also got to the point where we were doing side-by-side (chp style) u-turns. You had to turn the bike within the width of a traffic lane (inside rider nearest the median went wide to the outside of the lane while the outside rider turned inside of him to become the rider by the median). The Harley Electra Glide & Road King are two others that perform well at slow speeds.

Sport bikes, which are very light, can be very difficult to handle as slow speeds due to the turning radius (not much travel in the handlebars), forward seating position and the high center of gravity. It makes the bike harder to balance at slow speeds.

Cruisers can be a handful because of the raked fork, narrow handlebars and laid back seating.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Not always. One of the easiest bike's I've ever had was a 1981 Honda Goldwing. The low center of gravity made the bike a dream at very slow speeds (less than 10mph). The engine sat low and the fuel tank was under the seat, plus the rider sat upright in the middle of the bike. It was very easy to turn lock to lock. I went through an advanced Rider course where the instructor (a former CHP motorcycle officer) set up tight lock-to-lock obstacles. We were doing lock to lock turns both sitting down and standing on the pegs. We also got to the point where we were doing side-by-side (chp style) u-turns. You had to turn the bike within the width of a traffic lane (inside rider nearest the median went wide to the outside of the lane while the outside rider turned inside of him to become the rider by the median). The Harley Electra Glide & Road King are two others that perform well at slow speeds.

Sport bikes, which are very light, can be very difficult to handle as slow speeds due to the turning radius (not much travel in the handlebars), forward seating position and the high center of gravity. It makes the bike harder to balance at slow speeds.

Cruisers can be a handful because of the raked fork, narrow handlebars and laid back seating.

I know there are a few out there that are super easy but the majority of the bikes can be difficult. I was aiming more at the difficult ones. Was that advance class pretty fun? sry for the thread jack
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
its a nice looking bike. i was looking at them, but settled on the honda because i liked the way it looked. if its a started im assuming you can push start it to prove it runs?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Bob.....know one thing...and understand it is the infallible statistical truth....you ARE going to go down on the bike. It WILL happen.....the question is simply how badly will you be injured.

Odds are very high you will dump it, but I disagree with the "fact" of saying he WILL go down. I had a motorcycle for 3 years and never went down. Crotch rocket was pushed to my limits. Sold it because I knew I would hurt myself going 170mph. Too much power to be easily abused.

Ride within YOUR limits not your friends'.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
50,000MILES is a TON for a bike. do lots of research...

Sorry but this is a wrong statement!
I put 42,000 miles on my Concours in 3 years and it was still new!
Many Japanese bikes can get over 100,000 miles and still be great.

IT all depends on how it is cared for!
You need to check out the bikes maintenance record and have a good shop look at it.
A 2000 is still 9 years old and THAT may be a deciding factor.

Good Luck and ride safe!

Yuma, Taco
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
Adair09's Tacoma Gallery
Can you push start a bike like this?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair09 View Post
Can you push start a bike like this?
Yessir!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
Adair09's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome