Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Motorcycle Insurance

Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycle Insurance

I'll be purchasing a Ninja 250r soon and looking into insurance. This will be my first policy and I am confused as hell.

1) I'm 17 not 18 (will be on 10/5) so can the title even be in my name? Does it matter by state?

2) I'm gonna get full coverage $1300 for the year if you want to know. Can the policy be in my name if the title isn't in my name?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
auart is on a distinguished road
Name: ART
auart's Tacoma Gallery
Yes and No and it depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
I'll be purchasing a Ninja 250r soon and looking into insurance. This will be my first policy and I am confused as hell.

1) I'm 17 not 18 (will be on 10/5) so can the title even be in my name? Does it matter by state?

2) I'm gonna get full coverage $1300 for the year if you want to know. Can the policy be in my name if the title isn't in my name?
Title depends on the State Laws. In my state it would most of the time be in Parents AND your name till you are 18, or just the parents till then.
At your age $1300 premium is very good. Jump on that. At least in our state/ Alabama, that would be great for your age.
In Alabama, you could buy insurance on it, and the Title doesn't matter. We don't ask for the Title copy, anybody can insure any car. That may be different in your state though. the problem is that if say, you insure a vehicle/ motorcycle and someone else's name is on the Title, then you go out and wreck it and it is a Total loss, the insurance company wants the title in exchange for writing that big check to buy a new one... So in a round about way, you could say whoever holds the Title needs to be the person that insures the vehicle!
If its your parents then its not a big deal usually. You could be on the Insurance with them listed till you are free and clear at 18.
Of course your state Laws in relation to Insurance and Vehicle Registration are most certainly much different then Alabama... We have outdated laws in most everything here, but hey we do have Running water and electricity too!!

Hope this helps a little without confusing you! I have been in /Insurance for a long time, and no situation is the same for everybody!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
in nj, you dont have to have the title in your name. You just have to have a title and insurance..depending on your insurance carrier, you may need your parents as a cosigner kinda deal.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
It's gonna be my uncle on the title until I'm 18 in a month. Then he will sign it over to me on my birthday. Would that work?

So it might be bought in NY or MD (it's complicated) so your saying that I might be able to buy my own insurance or he might have to buy it and then I will just pay him until he signs the bike over?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
It's gonna be my uncle on the title until I'm 18 in a month. Then he will sign it over to me on my birthday. Would that work?

So it might be bought in NY or MD (it's complicated) so your saying that I might be able to buy my own insurance or he might have to buy it and then I will just pay him until he signs the bike over?
You can title it in either state and then you can purchase the insurance in the state where it will be driven the most in your own name.