1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

loosing interest in the motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by mntbiker2008, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Dec 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 [OP] First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    hey all. in a bit of a dilemma... ive been working on an 83 honda shadow for a few months now and it just seems like the more i fix, the more i find wrong with the bike... needless to say, im loosing interest in it and have been pondering selling it. if i do, ive been wanting to get a fun trail rig for the longest time. i just dont know what i want.. guess my ? is, out of the vehicles ive chosen, which would be the better pick (again, strictly trail rig, i will def. be modifying it as well)

80's sammy
    80-early 90s toyota pickup/4 runner (had a 93 p/u and it was a beast)
    early 90s pathfinder

all 4x4 of course.

im a little hesitant to get a jeep.. is there any reason i shouldnt be? just heard a ton of issues with the older ones.

besides rust on the frames and stuff like that, there really isnt much i should look for on these is there? if its going to get the crap beat out of it...

thanks all and if im missing one that is a capable rig, feel free to chime in!

Aaron

2. Dec 2, 2009 at 9:36 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    id nix the pathfinder

and id nix every toyota above '85

that is...unless you want to do a solid axle conversion

3. Dec 2, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    ah... yeh... im handy with tools but i am not gonna even bother with the SAS... thats WAY over my head

:eek:

and i know there are not any yotas under 85 around here even worth trying to build up.

4. Dec 2, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    buy a 22r or 22re toyota from 1985 or older and get to work!

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 4:30 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    This might be long...so bear with me....

I was in your situation many years ago (2000). LIke YOU.... a SAS was way over my head.

Although I would've loved to have a Toyota as a trail rig..... I already had a tacoma (IFS) and I didn't wanna get another IFS. So - that leaves you with an 85 or older Toyota truck (solid axle). I've wheeled for 9 years and with plenty of vehicles...and the Toyotas are GREAT if you're willing to deal with all the rust issues of a vehicle that's THAT old. I've seen many folks build Toyotas (without restoring the frame) and things just fall apart and require a lot of TLC and work.

So - I ended up buying a Jeep Wrangler. The KEY to that...is being patient and finding a very very good prestine jeep. PERIOD. There are a lot of junkers out there and you have to find the gem in the rough.
    With a jeep - You can get a late model (less rust) and still have a solid axle with 6 cylinder engine & fuel injection (can't get an 85 Toyota with 6cylinder). TONS & TONS of jeep offroad & aftermarket support.

My first Jeep was a 92 Wrangler with only 45,000 miles on it. That thing was frigin beautiful!!! That is, until someone rear-ended me in 03 and totaled it. I ended up buying another one.... a 94 Wrangler with 85K miles on it. Both were PRESTINE and I didn't have any issues with it.

Today, you could probably find yourself a used Rubicon and have fun right out of the box. But like anything else....you gotta find that GEM in the rough. Or, you could probably find a nice TJ with coil spring suspension. Some of the older TJ's came with Dana 44 rears also (probably rare to find - not sure).

The only bad thing about the non-Rubicon Jeep Wranglers...is the Dana35 rear axle. Known to be weak and should be upgraded.
    I ended up putting a set of Dana 44's front & rear in mine - with ARB's & such. Those Dan44's (from a Wagoneer) were frigin bulletproof. Best thing I ever did! No regrets.....My husband and I did majority of the work ourselves as we 'learned' along the way. Wasn't difficult putting those Dana 44's in - just needed a shop to do the welding & allignments for us.

I just sold my jeep this past spring. Sorry to see it go, but it was time to move on. I've been wheeling since 99..... someone else is enjoying it now.

6. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    thanks alot. this is gonna be a tough search. :frusty:

7. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not trying to sway you towards any vehicle....

I think your primary concern should be finding a good solid frame/structure vehicle that will last. Other than all the modifications you'll be making - you really don't wanna have to spend time re-doing, repairing, & restructuring everything else that you didn't originally plan on having to spend money on.

BE PATIENT!! GOOD LUCK!

In fact, you're probably better off spending some time getting on some other vehicle forums and learning a bit about the vehicles you're interested in. Obviously, you've already had a 90's toyota - so you're already familiar with those.

8. Dec 3, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:

yeh the frame is going to need to be the number 1 priority (as well as engine and tranny. etc.) the body... i could care less about.. thats a fairly easy fix. and the 93 toyota i had was a major rust bucket... it was horrible... i just hope theres something in better condition that that.

thanks again. it much appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top