1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Handlebar swap

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by NumNutz, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Apr 28, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Hi fellow riders,

I am in the process of buying a 04 GS500F and was thinking that after 6 months to a year I would pretty much take the whole front end apart and revamp the front forks and was wondering if it is possible to replace the handle bars with a more swept back bars like a GSXR?

Thanks.

2. Apr 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    WVtriple

WVtriple Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    WV eastern panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Sport
    Satoshi grill mod, Redline Tuning Hood struts and tailgate E-Z down, HID headlights and fogs, LED tail lamp upgrade, TRD exhaust, FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels, T-REX eyelids, power sunroof, 5100 Billies and ToyTec AAL, K&N drop-in, TRD seatcovers, Weathertech floor mats, Fog light any-time mod, Pop-n-lock, slotted front rotors with ceramic pads, BenWa power rear slider mod, blackout badges, and blacked out center stack and console. 7" HID's behind the grill. LED light bar in the lower grill. Trailer plug relocate. Auxiliary reverse LED's wired in to be manual or auto on when in reverse.
    Gixxers and other full out sport bikes have Clip-ons, and yes just research the diameter of your forks, there should be an aftermarket clip-on set for your bike.

3. Apr 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    I'm pretty new to this so could you be more descriptive or post some links for products?

4. Apr 28, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Apr 28, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
  6. Apr 28, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    My guess is that those clamp to the fork tubes and those are the handlebars..............

7. Apr 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    s2studio

s2studio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Here's a broad view of what you do...
    1. Remove your top triple tree.
    2. Loosen the pinch bolts on the original clip ons and slide them off the forks.
    3. Put on your new clip on's and clamp on the fork where you want them to be.
    4. You need to take off all the components on both handlebars (start/kill switch, front brake reservoir, lights, horn, etc.)
    5. Install the grips and throttle tube on naked bars where you want them to be.
    6. With the rest of the set up, you just need to re-set where you want your reservoir, throttle tube/cable etc. to be (or where they need to go.)
    7. Then install the bars onto the clip on. Make sure that you check your clearance from the fairings and your gauges. Then you can start tightening all the screws/bolts.

hope that helps man!

8. Apr 28, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    mike07yota

mike07yota Active Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab. white
    885's, 5100's, moto metal 951's black with 285's and tinted windows
    clip-ons are the type of bars that the gsxrs. use. they dont bolt into the forks the bolt onto the forks. The gs uses a regular handlebar set-up. Check out a forum and see what others have done. google is your friend. im pretty sure you can buy a whole used front end off a gsxr and change the whole front end out but you will have to research. sorry im not to familiar with gsxrs and susukis in general. Im a Kawi guy. but check around. www.gs500e.co.uk/forums/ this place seems to have a lot of good info for you.

9. Apr 28, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    or you can just get a straight bar for the clip on feel of the bike, without having to get clip ons.

10. Apr 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    mike07yota

mike07yota Active Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab. white
    s2studio- he doesnt have clip-ons he has top mounted handlebars like that of a dirtbike or a sv650. all he has to do is unbolt the 4 top bolts to the bars and they are pretty much off. And he may want to check too because a lot of bikes that dont come stock with clip-ons dont have the room around the fairings to put them on. my buddy has a ninja 250 race bike with clip-ons and it cant be used on the street because he cant make full locked turn because there is no clearance around the fairings.

11. Apr 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    That's the other thing I was thinking. Having a metal shop fab up a straight bar, more of a street fighter look.

So those clip ons that are posted on ebay, those will mount to my forks and then are I need are a set of grips and bolt my components to those bars?

I get what you are saying about not having room, I'm just trying to clarify what my options are?

12. Apr 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    mike07yota

mike07yota Active Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab. white
    yup those bolt right around your forks and then you have to put all of your controls and grips on. the thing that sucks about them is you have to make sure and align everything up first and take some markings, because they are universal. On the controls they have little tabs that go into holes on the clip ons or handlebars that are on the bike. aftermarket clipons dont have the holes you have to drill them yourself. it sounds harder than it is but people neglect to tell you that part of the installation. all it takes is the right size drillbit and a punch to start the hole. check around to because they may have aftermarket straight bars that you can buy.

13. Apr 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    mike07yota

mike07yota Active Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab. white
    also check with a company called woodcraft. they make clip-ons of all sizes and makes. they may have a set in your size. not sure though. theres are nice to because most aftermarket clip-ons require you to remove the top triple tree to install. woodcrafts have a 2 piece design that just bolts on which would be nice for your case since you dont have to remove the triple tree to take the bars off on your stock set up.

14. Apr 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    s2studio

s2studio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Oh lol I fail :bananadead:

15. Apr 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
  16. Apr 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    WVtriple

WVtriple Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    WV eastern panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Sport
    Satoshi grill mod, Redline Tuning Hood struts and tailgate E-Z down, HID headlights and fogs, LED tail lamp upgrade, TRD exhaust, FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels, T-REX eyelids, power sunroof, 5100 Billies and ToyTec AAL, K&N drop-in, TRD seatcovers, Weathertech floor mats, Fog light any-time mod, Pop-n-lock, slotted front rotors with ceramic pads, BenWa power rear slider mod, blackout badges, and blacked out center stack and console. 7" HID's behind the grill. LED light bar in the lower grill. Trailer plug relocate. Auxiliary reverse LED's wired in to be manual or auto on when in reverse.
    In the picture you have, you have gone from a straight type handle bar to a swept type handle bar. If this is really what youre looking for cool. Now you dont have to do a full front swap from a Gixxer, this requires, head bearing replacements, adapters and a whole other can of worms, trust me I know I wanted to do that swap on my Triumph to get the USD fork for more adjustibilty. Anyway if you look at the pics from my Aprilia I went with LSL clip-ons that give you some adjustments to fit tighter fairing tolerances that the others have meantioned. But they are clip-ons, which like another posters have said actually slide down your fork tube and clamp tight to it, not bolting INTO it. Either way your riders triangle will change to a more forward or sporty position placing a little more weight on your wrist, but I suspect you being a youger gentlemen can tolerate this weight transfer. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions, hell I'm close I work out of Baltimore, I ride sometimes to work.

DSC00870.jpg
    DSC00871.jpg
    DSC00873.jpg
    DSC00869.jpg

17. Apr 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    mike07yota

mike07yota Active Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab. white
    Nice. That looks better IMO. Hey s2studio dont worry you dont fail. I had to look up a pic to see what he was talking about. The GS's arent known as well as the sv650's are

18. Apr 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    mike07yota

mike07yota Active Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab. white
    Hey WV how do you like the LSL clip-ons. I ended up switching my stock clip-ons for a set of Driven Racings. I love them but they vib like crazy especially at higher RPM's

19. Apr 29, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    Is it finally clear now that this GS500 doesn't have clip-on's?

There's aftermarket companies that make different style handlebars. Rizoma, Renthal, ... and that's all I can think of at the moment.

Looks like you want to go lower. If you go higher, you're going to want to make sure that you don't have to lengthen any cables for ease of installation.

Products Discussed in

To Top