1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

magnet on street bike?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Nitronick, May 3, 2010.

1. May 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    Nitronick

Nitronick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    Anyone hear about the myth where you put magnets on the bottom of your street bikes it supposedly sets of the lights at an intersection? i was just curious if anyone has actually tried it and got better results..

2. May 4, 2010 at 5:41 AM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    that is the same myth I heard about honking 3 times if you are the only one at the intersection and the light will change to green....LOL

3. May 4, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    The magnet, or whatever material it might be, simply adds a mass of metal to the underside of a bike for the sensor loop to see.

4. May 4, 2010 at 5:53 AM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    The square ground loop in the street at the intersections sense the metal in the bike, motorcycle, car, etc. That is how the light gets a signal that a vehicle is waiting. And when the traffic is light some are programmed to change when a vehicle arrives. I know the ground loop works better when you move the metal through the field and not just sit there stationary. And the magnet "may" improve the loop sensing you are there. But it won't change the light sequence program.

5. May 4, 2010 at 6:04 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    :thumbsup:

alot of people think it is triggered by weight.

i have seen quite a few on bikes bouncing at lights to trigger it :laugh::laugh:

6. May 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
  7. May 4, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha! thats so funny id point and laugh if i saw that! on my bike i actually have done the high beam flash thing and it worked a few times but im not sure if it were luck...

8. May 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    broker

broker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Broker
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 T4R
    Mostly Stock with a Roll Cage
    ill second on that if you are moving it helps a lot, ive noticed if i rock the bike ontop of the crack where they have they sensors its normally works for me.

9. May 4, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I avoid some intersections around here b/c the sensors wont pick up my truck and ill just sit there forever...but in my wifes mustang it works just fine...maybe I need some magnets! haha

10. May 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I did hear that sitting directly over the loop and revving the motor will trip it. Something about EM from pulses going to the spark plugs trips the sensor. I don't know if it was just coincidence in timing but I tried it once and the light tripped for me.

If its busy I'll just make a right and a u-turn. If not, check for the law and go for it.

11. May 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    This is a cool topic. I started thinking about some Physics classes during college. Then, I decided to pull out a couple of books and then pull up wikipedia.

Induction loop is a term used to describe an electromagnetic communication- and detection system, relying on the fact that a moving magnet will induce a electrical current in a nearby conducting wire. Induction loops are used for transmission and reception of communication signals, or for detection of metal objects in metal detectors or vehicle presence indicators. A common modern use for induction loops is to provide hearing assistance to hearing aid users.

12. May 5, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    If you're not setting it off, try putting your kickstand down. It puts more metal in a closer proximity to the sensor.

13. May 5, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    Nitronick

Nitronick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    yea i just figured it was worth a shot, i mean what is the worse that can happen? lol. i also have heard about the kickstand one and heard that one works pretty good.

14. May 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    The sensing loop at stoplights has a field that gets interrupted by the vehicles mass. When interrupted, it triggers the timing in the lights to change.

The idea with the magnets is to increase the field area that the mass of bike has. Because the bikes are small, they don't always interrupt the sensing field.

I put 3 strong earth magnets on the underside of my lower fairing. I had no luck triggering some intersections. The magnets were successful in picking up ferrous crap off of the road, and that's it. Didn't do a damn thing for triggering these intersections.

Right turn to U-turn, or wait for another car to come up and trigger the light is the only thing that seems to work. I don't buy the kickstand thing.

15. May 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    Jordo

Jordo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Nissan Frontier CC
    I think that the "loop" is a myth. I dont think they are in there. I know of tons of lights that have been there well before the technology of this magic loop was avalible. If you do silly things, long enough, yeah, the light timed out and its green and you think the ebay special for $19.95 did the trick. Their would be lines cut into the pavement where they where installed...or only NEW streets, with NEW stop lights could have it with out some sign that it was installed.

Just my .02 cents

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. May 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    chikuami1

chikuami1 Member

Member:
    San Diego by way of Pasadena
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad 4x4
    none yet.
    Simple solution that does not hurt the bike, is to bump the starter when you get to the light. On my Ninja 636 I'll hit it once or twice.

From my experience the magnet does nothing that you cannot do without one. If you're in love with having a magnet there, rip open an old PC tower, by the CD drive there will be a very very high powered magnet - better than just about anything that you could buy on the market separate

17. May 5, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    An inductive loop is a myth? It is some sort of magic technology? You 'think' wrong my friend ;)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/question234.htm

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. May 5, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    Jordo

Jordo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Nissan Frontier CC
  19. May 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    vball6pac

vball6pac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Alexandra, VA
    Vehicle:
    white 09 4dr TRD O/R 4x4
    Front skid plate. Hood protector, and wade in-channel guards. K&N CAI. Weathertech floormats, and door scuff guards. Tri-fold soft tonneau cover.
    You guys might want to check with local law enforcement... A friend of mine is a Sheriff's Deputy, and he saw me sitting(stuck) at a light, and here, if you are sitting at a light for a certain amount of time, with no traffic, look both ways before you cross the street. OR, just do what I do. Bikes weren't meant to sit at lights, unless you are chasing girls, and right turn on red, to find a new way to where you are going.

20. May 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    lopedogg

lopedogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 TACO TRD
    You could be like a firetruck and put a strobe light on the front...all the lights will change for you!!!:)

Products Discussed in

To Top