1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wake up, guys.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Dimonback, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Jun 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    The truth is when the temps are reasonable here, I do wear all the gear right down to heavy chaps. But at 100+ degrees leathers are out of the question, and even a mesh jacket isn't fun. I always wear a good Nolan helmet, regardless of the heat.

2. Jun 17, 2010 at 3:01 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I'm going to be getting an endorsement soon because I've been wanting a dual-sport bike (and my dad just bought one that is sitting in my garage for the next month or so until I can take it to him), but seeing and hearing about all the wrecks due to drivers not seeing the motorcyclist is really starting to make me second guess my decision.

3. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    bryant8

bryant8 Active Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Double Cab Long Bed
    TRD CAI, eBay Fog lamps, LED bed lights, 12V bed plug
    In the heat of Texas I still wear all the gear all the time... I'd rather sweat than risk road rash all over. Proper fitting gear is the key, I've had a buddy lowside his bike at close to 100 and came out with just a lot of soreness and bruises but no rash due to his leathers. I've lowsided and came out it with just a lot of soreness. Denim does nothing against asphalt

@Relentless Taco - Don't second guess getting your M endorsement, just realize the risk that's involved with 2-wheels (Dirt or Street) It's an everyday reality that you have to be 100% focused on the task at hand of riding. The times you lose focus or aren't paying attention is when bad things tend to happen.

4. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    How well do you think my kevlar lined jeans will do in a crash at highway/aggressive speeds?

5. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    bryant8

bryant8 Active Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Double Cab Long Bed
    TRD CAI, eBay Fog lamps, LED bed lights, 12V bed plug
    Kevlar lined jeans buy you a little more time to slide, but nothing beats dead cow! At highway speeds the heat and friction from the asphalt will burn right though. Get overpants with armor or try the icon field armor knee/shin guards (under jeans). A little inconvenient at times, but worth while if you test them out on a dismount

6. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    I ride on a daily basis and taught MS Safety in Canada for 24 years. I put 12k miles a year on my bike without any major trips. I wear kevlar gear from www.motoport.com and it is the best stuff I can find. It keeps me cool in 100 degrees as long as I am moving. The best advice I can offer anyone is to drive as if you are invisible and don't count on cagers for anything. If you don't count on anybody for anything, they can't let you down. One other thing, it is quicker to slow down by 5 mph then acccelerate by 5 mph.

You might legally have right of way, but the cost may be greater then you wish to pay.

Products Discussed in

To Top