1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wake up, guys.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Dimonback, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    I'm posting this here to open up a discussion of driving habits, on two wheels and four.
    I took my bike to AZ for the "damn, I wish I could retire" run this morning. For the second time in two weeks, a black Acura zoomed by me in my lane. Not as close as the first one (6" off his mirror), but the driver still got my salute. The kid was showing off, or kicking his own adrenalin, or whatever, but his move was enough to spook me. I understand that bikers are not 20 ton 18 wheel roadblocks, but I'm beginning to feel like a damned target, and I'm getting pissed. The after-the-fact "Kill a Biker, go to Jail" sentiment won't cut it for me, or the family I leave behind.

Open your eyes on the road, and know that your actions cause reactions by other drivers that could be fatal!

2. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    bryant8

bryant8 Active Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Double Cab Long Bed
    TRD CAI, eBay Fog lamps, LED bed lights, 12V bed plug
    Word, I lost a friend just about a year ago due to a cager not paying attention (She turned left in front of him, he had no chance). Definitely feel the same about being a target on the road. That's the main reason I've just about given up on street riding and am pretty much just doing trackdays on my Duc.

3. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Yeah, people are stupid and completely oblivious to what's going on around them on the road. Thats why I don't have a street bike.

4. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    WRrider450

WRrider450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Torranceish
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    13" Wicked Flow Muffler
    ^^^ Yeah same here. As much as i want a street bike, it is just way too dangerous. that is why i stick to dirt

5. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    Taco Guapo

Taco Guapo Lurker

Member:
    Carefree AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4X4 2.7L
    Bone stock
    AZ drivers are, to put it mildly, asswipes. I used to live in SoCal where the traffic was way worse and lane-splitting was legal, and the average four wheel driver was much more considerate of their two-wheel brethren.

6. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    AZ is where the trash truck driver took out what... 5 bikers, in one out of body moment at a stoplight? This was last month. Ya... I worry about drivers there.

7. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've had my street bike since 07. That first year I put 12000 miles on it. It's sitting in my garage with 14589 right now. I hate riding anymore unless I get way away from everyone.

Scariest I ever had it- I was in a left turn lane and a lady in a mini-truck made a no look left merge into that lane nearly on top of me. I swirved left and was already into a HUGE 4 way intersection. I nearly bounced my knee off the curb making the corner and then had to pull into a parking lot to regain my composure before driving home. The intersection was about 2 mins from my place. I didn't even make it more than a mile or two before she nearly killed me.

All the gear- All the time. Ride safe!!

8. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    Bretsuaz48

Bretsuaz48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport
    There are alot of bad drivers, both two and four wheel. Unfortnately, when a two wheeler tangles with a four wheeler, they usually lose. Most people don't wear any protective gear. Not even a helmet. Those are the ones who end up in diapers pissing and shitting themselves, and eating through a tube.

9. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    eodrunner

eodrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerron
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    2 JL 10W3, Infinity reference series speakers all around, infinity 1600a and 475a amps, Pioneer Avicenna-z140bh
    what's absolutely insane is coming to Thailand and Cambodia. I've ridden for about 6 years now in the states and had several close calls. Closest call was a truck smacking his mirror into my shoulder. That scared the piss out of me. But here in Cambodia, even with all the chaos that it looks like, bikes in and out of traffic, stop lights meaning almost nothing, 4 ways where you can't tell who is going in which direction, all the cars seem to look out for the bikes and bikes give way when absolutely necessary. It's amazing to watch. Seems like they just have more respect out here.

10. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    STR8_BEAST

STR8_BEAST Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, SOUND SYSTEM, KENWOOD DNX 7140, WINDOW TINT, REAR TSB, FRONT COIL SPACER, SATOSHI MOD, BHLM, WHITE CALIPERS, CB RADIO W/4FT FIRESTIK, MAGLITE MOD
    i wanted a bike until my longtime childhood friend was turning right at a signal and some lady blew through a red light and slammed into him going 60 if i remember correctly. after that day i never wanted a bike again. RIP Ian Lopez :pray:

11. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    Try Bermuda, where 70% of the road population is on bikes. There's no respect for anyone there, and very few are really capable of skilled driving.

12. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    At 70-80mph wearing all the gear just means you'll die overheated.

13. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Well that's just plain untrue.

14. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Car impacts it's probably pretty true. But I'd rather have a fighting chance when I elect to low side.

15. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i know a guy who laid his bike down in rush hour traffic on I77 in charlotte at 70-80mph and was home from the hospital that night...

proper gear wouldve kept the road rash to a minimum tho...at least he had on a helmet

16. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    ^This is the story I hear most often. I had a friend of my lay her bike down on the interstate and slid about 100 yards down the road with a full jacket and helmet she still got some nasty rash- Woulda been FAR worse if she hadn't.

I think they say normal denim last about .5-.8 seconds of a slide at speed.

17. Jun 16, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  18. Jun 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    denim wouldve helped the guy i know too

19. Jun 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    He just makes it sound like we are dumb for riding motorcycles I feel like but I agree with you, car impacts at that speed would definitely not work out well for the rider

20. Jun 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    Bretsuaz48

Bretsuaz48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport

Products Discussed in

To Top