1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPhone as a Go Phone?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Twiget, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Jul 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Twiget

Twiget [OP] Proud to be Awesome

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    654, 6 Cylinders, 5 Speeds, 4 wheel drive
    Alpine Headunit, Soft Tonneau Cover, CAI
    I just got off the phone with AT&T. My iPhone is out of contract and I want to switch it to a Go Phone. I've got the Go Phone sim, but they are refusing to activate the sim for my phone. Has anyone been able to use their iPhone as a Go Phone?

2. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I don't know about a Go phone but I had been looking to buy an Iphone to unlock or already unlocked to put a Straight Talk sim card in and have unlimited everything for $45 a month. I know people that have done this with Tmobile also.

3. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    Twiget

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    The Go Phone has a $2/day option with unlimited minutes and texts and you only get charged for the days it is used. I dont talk or text much, so this option would be great for me.

Another reason I want to stay with AT&T is that my iPhone will only work on AT&T and I dont want to buy another phone to switch to another service provider.

4. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
  5. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Straight Talk uses the cell towers from all the big carriers, At&t, Verizon, Sprint and Tmobile. So your phone would still be using At&t towers if you wanted to do it this way. So do you use the Data much? That's what's appealing about Straight Talk, $45 a month gets you unlimited talk, text and data. Anyway I just thought this might be a good option for you.

On a side note. I thought if the sim was active you could put it in any GSM phone and it would work? Maybe if it was activated on a Go phone then put it in the Iphone? Might have to unlock the Iphone first though?

6. Jul 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Twiget

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    I found a similar article too, though after reading the one you posted, I think I found what went wrong. The article I found did not mention needing a dummy GoPhone. I think I'll try this.

I just noticed I put this in the motorcycle forum. I meant to put it in the technology forum. Oops. Well, here is a pic of my bike to make up for it.

IMG_0818.jpg

7. Aug 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    Twiget

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    Go figure, I went to AT&T today to get a Go Phone and do the switcheroo detailed in that blog. The chick I ended up working with had no problem changing my iPhone to a Go Phone plan. I told her about my difficulty making the change on the phone with AT&T's customer service and she really had no reason why they refused to make the change.

5 minutes, 2 questions and a little flirting later and my account was changed over to a Go Phone. :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top