1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please wear a helmet

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Crosis, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    Crosis

Crosis [OP] Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Yeah yeah I know this subject is going to bring on the haters but its worth it. This year alone I have had to mop up 5 dead bikers. None were wearing helmets. Only 1 of those would have died no matter what because his head hit a tree and exploded. All of the others died needlessly from head trauma that would have been prevented by a helmet.

Keep your anti-helmet statistics to yourself because anyone can manipulate any stats. I am here to tell you I have witnessed the carnage and a helmet is the best safety device you can ever buy.

2. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    I absolutely hate when i go down to jacksonville and youhave idiots on r1s weaving im and out of cars on i95 doing 90mph with no helmet. Its like even if they hit me im still gonna have feeling in my head it was my fault they died because their being fucking stupid tryomv to show off for girls by not wearing a helmet.

$300, buy one

3. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    I just had a friend die from a head injury that would have not happened if he had been wearing a helmet. He hit his head, really didn't seem bad, was awake for about 2 hours after wreck, then went into a coma and never woke back up. They do save life's!

4. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Couldn't agree more. Dress for the crash, not the ride/destination/image.

5. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Many fallen brothers without helmets, I always wear a DOT/SNELL full face helmet, don't matter if I'm going 1 mile down the road or not.

6. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Yea, me too. A little piece of mind goes a long way. Heard a stat (on the interwebz, so :notsure:) that most head injuries occur on the chin area.

7. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I live on the border between a helmet state and non-helmet state. I see people pull over to take their helmets off and it just makes no sense to me at all. Riding is dangerous enough as it is, why increase the risk?

8. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    :laughing:

9. Apr 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    This is another good point... those stupid skull caps ARE NOT HELMETS. Anyone who has the argument that it's better than nothing couldn't be more wrong. They do almost nothing to protect you in a fall. DOT helmets are designed to absorb the initial impact to help keep your noodle safe.

Also, make sure you have a good quality helmet that's in good condition. If you've ever dropped the helmet over 3', you've more than likely compromised the helmet. Your helmet should be swapped out every 3 years at minimum, more often if you ride a lot.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now. This is an issue that is close to home, my uncle died because of this. He had a skull cap on and layed the bike down because a moose ran out in front of him. His body hardly had a scratch on it (he was only wearing a leather vest and jeans as riding equipment and still had no road rash that would have needed to be treated) but he hit his head when he went down and died from brain swelling. All your gear, all the time! :cool:

10. Apr 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    And don't get a POS half face helmet either, those don't seem to do much. There is absolutely no reason not to get a nice full face helmet, I wear one even on my 2 mile commute to work.

11. Apr 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    When you get hit or fall, if you have your mouth open, the impact from your jaw slamming shut can actually cause a concussion. That's why fighters wear a mouth guard. It's not only to protect your teeth but to stop that force from your jaw slamming shut and literally knocking you out.

12. Apr 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    okie

okie Pick your poison

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    sr5 Tundra

I say this often as I have to repeat my self when asked "arent you hot in that?" :rolleyes:

Blows my mind how one can ride without a helmet, yea its a choice I know, but still, damn.

And those half helmets...pffft. What good is a protected skull if you face is ripped off from it?

You can find full faced DOT/SNELL helmets all day long online for $100 & up.

Thread should be a sticky in this sub forum.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  13. Apr 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    One of the guys at work never used to wear his helmet. One day, he did... must have had a premonition or something. Some idiot turned in front of him. Hit the car and went airborne. The helmet saved his life and he ALWAYS wears his helmet now.

I used to always wear mine... Didn't feel "comfortable" without it :eek:

14. Apr 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I never get on my bike or quad without my helmet, I'd have been dead years ago without it. I actually cracked a helmet in a crash once.

15. May 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    Helmets have saved my life twice so far; 2 accidents 35 years apart.

AGATT for me.

16. May 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Since I have been riding (14 years) I have personally buried 8 of my friends.

5 of them would be alive today if they had their helmets on.

If you don't have a helmet and you are riding a motorcycle you get no respect from me.

17. May 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I think if people decide not to take the necessary precautions with the activities they partake in, health insurance should exclude from covering them if injuries result. I would rather have higher rates for people who are uninsured than morons who choose to do stupid things.

For the most part, I don't feel bad when people come in all banged up from not wearing proper gear on a ride.

I even tell cyclist to get a helmet when I pass them in my bike.

18. May 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Here in Az its not a law to wear a helmet as well. Figured I point that out.

19. May 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    HIst8ofMIND

HIst8ofMIND Defend Hawaii

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD-OR
    Why stop at helmets. Wear full gear. I don't mean full leather race suits either. That's a different subject matter. I see riders with little gear or full on race suit. Which is beyond me. I'm talking about proper gear. Like riding boots and not tennis shoes. Riding gloves, textile jackets and textile pants. Or if you wanna wear casual clothes like I do. I recommend under armor. My clothes are one size higher because I usually wear under armor. I've had to dump my bike because of a stupid tourist crossing into my lane on a blind s turn. Armor saved my ass.

20. May 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    i wear helmet(obviously) gloves, jacket, regular jeans (until i can get some motorcycle jeans that have the armor built in) and its impossible for me to find a pair of over ankle shoes that i like and feel comfortable on a bike. i can not stand boots at all, i hate shifting with them, so for now i just wear my sneakers, if i go down im sure i will regret it, but until i can find of good shoes gotta work with what i got

Products Discussed in

To Top