Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Surround Sound Help

Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Surround Sound Help

I currenty have the samsung HT-550 5.1 DVD digital home entertainment system..

MY DILEMA......

I am trying to connect the surround sound to the stupid TV so I can have surround sound to the dumb XBOX 360.

A. I want to use HDMI on the xbox from the TV.

As right now...

Xbox360 HDMI - TV HDMI 1 port
Samsung Receiver HDMI - TV HDMI 2 port

No sound anywhere

Fuck tvs and home electrical I only know wind turbines

Help
Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I currenty have the samsung HT-550 5.1 DVD digital home entertainment system..

MY DILEMA......

I am trying to connect the surround sound to the stupid TV so I can have surround sound to the dumb XBOX 360.

A. I want to use HDMI on the xbox from the TV.

As right now...

Xbox360 HDMI - TV HDMI 1 port
Samsung Receiver HDMI - TV HDMI 2 port

No sound anywhere

Fuck tvs and home electrical I only know wind turbines

Help
did you turn off the "internal mute" on the tv? that should fix it if you plugged it all in right. that's the way mine is.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
right now I have HDMI from my xbox to my TV...then RCA from TV to Receiver. Seems to work fine. I don't usually bother with HDMI to a receiver
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You want to go off your reciever
Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHS2846bg8 View Post
right now I have HDMI from my xbox to my TV...then RCA from TV to Receiver. Seems to work fine. I don't usually bother with HDMI to a receiver
and OP remember that the sound isn't gonna be any better with hdmi apposed to high def cables. you've probably got a hundred ports for those which leaves you more options as apposed to just hdmi.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
and OP remember that the sound isn't gonna be any better with hdmi apposed to high def cables. you've probably got a hundred ports for those which leaves you more options as apposed to just hdmi.
Well I currently have no component cables at the house, and like 4 hdmi cables so I figured that would work. Are you trying to say I need to get component cables? white yellow red?

Also the receiver has numerous function settings.. like aux 1/2 d. In. dvd, ipod, etc..Which function is it suppose to be on..
Old 12-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I currently have no component cables at the house, and like 4 hdmi cables so I figured that would work. Are you trying to say I need to get component cables? white yellow red?
Can't you go hdmi from the Xbox into the receiver ? That's how my PS3 is hooked up .
Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Can't you go hdmi into the receiver ?
I have the hdmi cord from the receiver to the tv currently
Old 12-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
No just run hdmi it's one cable . Everything plugs into the reciever then reciever to the tv .
Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the hdmi cord from the receiver to the tv currently
I editted my post .

Hdmi from the xbox to the receiver then hdmi from the receiver to the tv

My ps3 is hooked up that way
Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
No just run hdmi it's one cable . Everything plugs into the reciever then reciever to the tv .
This ^^
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
and OP remember that the sound isn't gonna be any better with hdmi apposed to high def cables.
digital is always better than any component cable if that is what you are referring to as high def cables. As posted earlier everything needs to go through the receiver. You need to use the receiver as a switch between components.

So you will want to run an HDMI from your xbox to an HDMI input on your receiver. Pick which one you want to use for your xbox. My receiver has "game" input and that is what I use for my computer. If you have a cable box use an input for the cable box. Use the HDMI output on your receiver to connect to your TV.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Only 1 port for HDMi in the back on the reciever
Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Only 1 port for HDMi in the back on the reciever
Your surround sound receiver only has one hdmi in port ?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
If you plug everything into the receiver then receiver to TV, then you always have to turn the receiver on, and that is not always wanted.

Here is what I did.

I connected everything to the HDMI ports of the TV. IE. Xbox, Blu Ray, etc.

Then I connected the TV from the Audio Out port to the receiver.

Works perfect for me. Should be the same for you. Depending on the TV, you might have to go to the TV options and select Sound Output, Out or something like that, but it should work. Then, if you do not want to use the receiver for whatever, you select TV speakers again.

You will need to 2 RCA or whatever they are named cables or that. The red and white ones.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
No bueno .
Old 12-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Your receiver only has an hdmi output? No HDMI inputs? That doesnt make sense. But if you cant go xbox->receiver->Tv then you will have to go xbox->TV then get another cable (component or optical) to go from the tv's sound output into the receiver sound input.
Otherwise you cant use the receiver for sound from the xbox, only tv speakers.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I built my surround system for $2,000 I want it on whenever anything is on .
Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I read the samsung site. You dont really have a "receiver" so the only way to have anything play anything using the surround sound (besides the built in DVD) is to use an optical audio out from your tv to the audio input the the HT-550
Best place to get them is monoprice.com. Quality stuff and cheap

That or you can get a real receiver with inputs and just use that HT-550 as a DVD player.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Your receiver only has an hdmi output? No HDMI inputs? That doesnt make sense. But if you cant go xbox->receiver->Tv then you will have to go xbox->TV then get another cable (component or optical) to go from the tv's sound output into the receiver sound input.
Otherwise you cant use the receiver for sound from the xbox, only tv speakers.
Yeah I have an optical cable, no optical output in the tv though......... Sigh. Guess I'm getting some component cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I built my surround system for $2,000 I want it on whenever anything is on .
Cool story bro?