LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Audiophiles...Good sounds

Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #41
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
I mostly listen to hard rock, but the best recorded band I have heard is Dire Straits.

Their mixing is top notch, and their music is filled with dynamic sounds that really demonstrate what imaging is all about.

My home system is still growing, but I have some goodies. Marantz SR7005 receiver, Oppo BDP83 universal player, a Marantz CD player that has been converted into a Hart tube CD player, through some Vandersteen 1c's and a Velodyne sub.

Upstairs, I also have a pair of Sennheiser headphones that I listen to with a Mark III headphone tube amp and a Rega turntable powered by an Anthem Amp.

Nice!! I've never got to hear any Vandersteens but have heard so many good things about them. How do you like the Oppo? I've been using a Denon 3930 for a long time but it's lost its will to play cd's and have been looking at the model you have.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunsquatch View Post
I never know what the words to a song are, I couldn't care less. I just like the music, cadence whatever. My wife likes songs based on lyrics and meaning and sometimes she will ask how I can like a song, and the honest truth is I have never listened to the words. Don't care at all.
truth man!

although i find myself learning lyrics sometimes cause i love the vocal mixing..haha but i never know the meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
I mostly listen to hard rock, but the best recorded band I have heard is Dire Straits.

Their mixing is top notch, and their music is filled with dynamic sounds that really demonstrate what imaging is all about.

My home system is still growing, but I have some goodies. Marantz SR7005 receiver, Oppo BDP83 universal player, a Marantz CD player that has been converted into a Hart tube CD player, through some Vandersteen 1c's and a Velodyne sub.

Upstairs, I also have a pair of Sennheiser headphones that I listen to with a Mark III headphone tube amp and a Rega turntable powered by an Anthem Amp.
SICK!

Dire Straits huh? Very classic no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
I'm thinking about starting a vinyl collection. Does anyone know about vinyl players and which one I should get? I'm looking for a modern one that is mid level to high end but not too expensive. So far I'm thinking about the Music Hall 2.2
Do it!..although im no help there..i just have my grandma's old school vinyl player..i don't even know what brand it is..probably due for a new stylus soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle1 View Post
Same here. That's the reason I got so into Phish, esp. their Live albums. Endless jams that would meander all over the place and finally merge back into the song.
Oh man i love music like that.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #43
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Polk audio sla 2...
Adcom GFA-555 II mono blocks i run two... ( power FUCKING hungry) If they start at the same time they will break a 20 amp breaker easy on start up.
Adcom GFP-565 pre amp..
Phillips CD-I ( the 910)

cables running all monster cables..

My system...
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #44
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Okay im in a pretty jazz mood today as my schools Jazz fest is going on and im preforming tonight. Im a lead trumpet play in the Big band.

This album is probably the best sounding big band album i have EVER heard. Just beautiful. Plus every player in the bad is just a monster player.

Anyways, this is Carl Saunders playing trumpet in the song Love Dance. I would KILL to be able to play like him. Sound is so effortless yet he plays soooooo high and low and the licks are just sick. Then the band is just great. I love the Forte Piano they do in the shout chorus.

enjoy

New link

http://www.carlsaunders.com/bebop_cd.htm

Scroll down and take a listen!

also Emily..is EPIC
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #45
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice!! I've never got to hear any Vandersteens but have heard so many good things about them. How do you like the Oppo? I've been using a Denon 3930 for a long time but it's lost its will to play cd's and have been looking at the model you have.
Yea, I really dig the Vandy's. They are audiophiles most sold floorstander. Relatively cheap for their quality.

The Oppo is incredible. Very clean tight sound with excellent ability to play Bluerays as well. My model, the BDP83, is one of their older models, about 4 years old now, but is still great. It was their last model before introducing 3D capable Bluerays. You will not be disappointed with Oppo.

It is an expensive hobby, lets not even get started with wires/cables.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #46
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
Wires and cables are snake-oil. Absolutely could not tell a difference between the Nordost Valhalla and lamp cord. I will say that copper is better than aluminum as a conductor and gauge matters of course, but I'd rather spend my money on a new player, like that Oppo!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #48
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wires and cables are snake-oil. Absolutely could not tell a difference between the Nordost Valhalla and lamp cord. I will say that copper is better than aluminum as a conductor and gauge matters of course, but I'd rather spend my money on a new player, like that Oppo!

Yea, different components will sound different with different wires, and I think is more noticeable with audio than it is with video.

For example, silver conductors will tend to sound bright, and work well with components that lack in high ranges. Different wires will also change response. I had a cheap RocketFish sub cable for the Velodyne sub, it sounded ok. I switched it out for a AudioQuest SubX cable and the bass is noticeably tighter and crisp, but it did loose a little 'umph'.

Good wires will also have better insulation, resulting in less interference from other components/wires.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #49
Barbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Barbaro's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at a Nuforce uDAC-2. I like the size and it would look good sitting on top of my BX5 D2's. I know its a "headphone" amplifier but would it work?

Budget $150 or less. Looking for something compact that I could be mobile with. Mac sound cards suck and I want something that will work with the monitors and a pair of quality headphones when I get them.

Right now the monitors are just plugged into the samsung tv with a TRS to 3.5mm cable. I know these monitors would sound much better with something in between the tv/computer/iphone whatever I'm playing music off of.

I'm relatively new to this audio game. But I really enjoy getting the most out of my music. I occasionally listen to Flac files, have a few live recordings of The Doors. Really love Jim's banter and Ray's keys with that fender piano bass.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #50

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaro View Post
I was looking at a Nuforce uDAC-2. I like the size and it would look good sitting on top of my BX5 D2's. I know its a "headphone" amplifier but would it work?

Budget $150 or less. Looking for something compact that I could be mobile with. Mac sound cards suck and I want something that will work with the monitors and a pair of quality headphones when I get them.

Right now the monitors are just plugged into the samsung tv with a TRS to 3.5mm cable. I know these monitors would sound much better with something in between the tv/computer/iphone whatever I'm playing music off of.

I'm relatively new to this audio game. But I really enjoy getting the most out of my music. I occasionally listen to Flac files, have a few live recordings of The Doors. Really love Jim's banter and Ray's keys with that fender piano bass.
Check out these DAC's. May be a little pricey, but paired with a quality headphone like Sennheiser, and a headphone amp, and listening to ONLY WAV or FLAC files, you will not be disappointed. NO MP3s, ever!!!!!!
http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-d...nder-1000.html
Old 03-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #51
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaro View Post

Look at this DAC

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=46

Honestly, I've had 500 dollar dacs and this one is 90 percent of what they were. Udac-2 is good but not even close to the JDS ODAC IMO. It is also smaller than the udac is but it is only a dac, meaning you cant plug headphones directly into it, it only has line level output.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #52
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Wow this thread moved quickly considering it was started today! I smelled audiophiles and legit just wandered in here. Like, I've never been in this Entertainment section of the forum before no joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post

Dire Straits huh? Very classic no doubt.
For sure. If you've got enough gain in your amp turn up "Private Investigations" and listen the whole way through. It's recorded VERY quietly but man is it ever a trip.

I posted my new towers in another thread somewhere on TW. I own StereoClarity.com and build/design/sell speakers. These are my current flagship towers that are in my listening room. I call them the LA-50. Line array towers with 50 drivers per set. Each has a 500 watt plate amp on the rear to run the subwoofer section and the upper midbass and tweeter lines are passive.

I can't even describe the level of detail that these produce. The best part is that distortion remains almost non existent. Because they're so capable they never really have to try/strain very hard.

PS: Solid walnut.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #54

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Wow this thread moved quickly considering it was started today! I smelled audiophiles and legit just wandered in here. Like, I've never been in this Entertainment section of the forum before no joke.

For sure. If you've got enough gain in your amp turn up "Private Investigations" and listen the whole way through. It's recorded VERY quietly but man is it ever a trip.

I posted my new towers in another thread somewhere on TW. I own StereoClarity.com and build/design/sell speakers. These are my current flagship towers that are in my listening room. I call them the LA-50. Line array towers with 50 drivers per set. Each has a 500 watt plate amp on the rear to run the subwoofer section and the upper midbass and tweeter lines are passive.

I can't even describe the level of detail that these produce. The best part is that distortion remains almost non existent. Because they're so capable they never really have to try/strain very hard.

PS: Solid walnut.

Good shit man
I bet those do sound great.

And I agree, 'Private Investigations' is one of my favs too.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #55
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No physical shop. Everything I do is through my website.

I've started building amplified media servers too. I had this vision one day while hooking up my home theater that it would be really cool to have no interconnects. This would mean everything would need to be in one box. So I decided to take a stab at it.

The end result is what I call the "OneSource". Basically, it's a home theater PC, Receiver, DVD/BluRay player, and media organizer in one box. You can even watch TV through it. Basically, you just plug in your HDMI to the TV, plug in your speakers....then press the on button. I haven't sold any yet but I'm about to get it reviewed so hopefully it gets favorable press and I can sell a few!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #56
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a true audiophile, but I appreciate quality sounding music, I am on a college budget or I would have some stuff that is a bit nicer. I run an onkyo 5.1 system in my apartment (best I could afford since I found it on sale). But for the last year or so, I have had a fixation on vinyl, making me really want to get a turn table, anyone know of one that would work well on a cheap skate college kid budget that sounds good?

and sweet jesus those are some awesome looking (and I'm sure sounding) speaker towers...I love walnut
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #57
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
No physical shop. Everything I do is through my website.

I've started building amplified media servers too. I had this vision one day while hooking up my home theater that it would be really cool to have no interconnects. This would mean everything would need to be in one box. So I decided to take a stab at it.

The end result is what I call the "OneSource". Basically, it's a home theater PC, Receiver, DVD/BluRay player, and media organizer in one box. You can even watch TV through it. Basically, you just plug in your HDMI to the TV, plug in your speakers....then press the on button. I haven't sold any yet but I'm about to get it reviewed so hopefully it gets favorable press and I can sell a few!
Nice! be sure to post a link to your website and any pictures of that "OneSource"

Keep up that awesome work!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #58
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Nice! be sure to post a link to your website and any pictures of that "OneSource"

Keep up that awesome work!
Thanks! Here'a a peek inside the 7 channel home theater version. This is a shot of the amp. It's 125x7 @8ohms. The two channel "audiophile" box has 250watts per side and a signal to noise ratio of 120db.

Website is www.StereoClarity.com

Truthfully, I don't expect to get rich of this stuff. But it funds my own audio habits which are quite expensive.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #59
Sounds Gooooood

But back to music....I recently picked up a copy of Lightning Hopkins "Blues Hoot".
You want something recorded well that has character? Holy cow man...this is where it's at. The intro song where he's lamenting about when this chick stole his car is just too cool. You can hear other people in the jazz club, waiters, and you can hear when he accidentally bumps into the mic. I might could dropbox if y'all want to pm...