Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Audiophiles...Good sounds

Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Audiophiles...Good sounds

Calling all audiophiles!

This is a thread for those of us that listen to music a bit different. We love the SOUND of the music. How it was mixed, mastered, produced. Something about the sound made it our favorite.

Im a student mixing engineer and i have lots of music that i love just cause it sounds great. Often don't care what the lyrics are or who it is.

So, anyone else on here like that?? Someone who listens with more then mp3s and cheap headphones??

Post up your favorite tunes! this is a genera less thread!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I will start with some tunes.

I love the clarity on this song..so clean. Grooves great too
http://grooveshark.com/s/Lunatic/3V3yr4?src=5

The bass line that goes into eighth notes in the second verse is so awesome. Great production call.
http://grooveshark.com/s/Makes+Me+Wonder/4gSOn9?src=5

Gorgous jazz piece. But the female vocalist that is featured..oh..my..god. So hauntingly beautiful. The whisper tone..so great.
http://grooveshark.com/s/My+One+And+...e/25rR4p?src=5

LOVE the acoustic guitar and vocal layering in this. And the elegance of the simplicity of it.
http://grooveshark.com/s/Secret/2cdTng?src=5

I love this delay and reverb on the lead vocals. Sick. and i love the looseness of the whole tune. The tempo never seems fully locked..but its totally just jams.
http://grooveshark.com/s/Black+Dog/4hkN6X?src=5

that should do it for now..
Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
audiophiles...
monte you are in your own little world lol
Nah!! I know where he is coming from. I prefer the sound of vinyl vs mp3 any day. I have slowly gone from 7.1 surround back to just the basic 2.1.. and even that is a stretch due to my addition of the sub. My main system is a set of Boston Acoustic mains driven by my Pioneer receiver. I had a Yamaha amp driving the speakers for cleanliness and warmth, but it decided it was time to retire. My vinyl collection, though small, goes from hank williams, to dexter gordon and even to erykah badu to spyro gyra. Quality of sound over volume!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwardsDyl View Post
Nah!! I know where he is coming from. I prefer the sound of vinyl vs mp3 any day. I have slowly gone from 7.1 surround back to just the basic 2.1.. and even that is a stretch due to my addition of the sub. My main system is a set of Boston Acoustic mains driven by my Pioneer receiver. I had a Yamaha amp driving the speakers for cleanliness and warmth, but it decided it was time to retire. My vinyl collection, though small, goes from hank williams, to dexter gordon and even to erykah badu to spyro gyra. Quality of sound over volume!
AWESOME!!!

dude, i had the great privlage of recording a jazz group and mixing it. They had it pressed to viynl. When i got the digital masters back i was like WOW!

but then i got the actual record...holy tits...beautiful. I listen to it now and go..wow..i recorded that?! Talk about lucky for my first ever fully mixed and recorded album..

here is one of the tunes. My personal fav. You could buy it on Vinyl haha

https://soundcloud.com/blackdawg-1/gospel-1
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Subbing. I don't totally agree with your taste in music, but I like the idea of this thread. I'll be lurking around to see what people post up, and maybe I'll put some of my favorites up.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Subbing. I don't totally agree with your taste in music, but I like the idea of this thread. I'll be lurking around to see what people post up, and maybe I'll put some of my favorites up.

don't worry. Keep lurking. My tastes are HUGE. That was just my current mood..it goes all over. Could be rap, hiphop, metal, jazz, classical, soundtrack, rock, pop anything. I listen to a lot to try and be a versatile mixer. But i don't get everything..

So hopefully your share at some point.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
I like to consider myself an audiophile. Just got some infinity references in the truck. But my room set up is my pride an joy.

All FLAC audio --> Asus Xonar ST --> Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver (weak point in my set up. hey it was 20 bucks) --> Axoim M3s

Listen to a lot of symphonic metal. Fun to pick out the back up singers.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good song, sure it would sound better on anything but my laptop speakers. I was playing some Pink Floyd earlier today on the TT... Wish You Were Here (Best album EVER)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
I like to consider myself an audiophile. Just got some infinity references in the truck. But my room set up is my pride an joy.

All FLAC audio --> Asus Xonar ST --> Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver (weak point in my set up. hey it was 20 bucks) --> Axoim M3s

Listen to a lot of symphonic metal. Fun to pick out the back up singers.
Symphonic Metal??? can you share an example..i don't think im familiar.

Sounds like an awesome setup!

Im using my Digi 003 console mixing board out to some Mackie SM8 MKII monitors. Works decent really as the monitors are dual amped and sound good. Its just my mixing setup so use them to get familiar as possible with the speakers.

I really want some Yamaha NS10s and a nice 8'' sub next..
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
The Red Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post

Im using my Digi 003 console mixing board out to some Mackie SM8 MKII monitors. Works decent really as the monitors are dual amped and sound good. Its just my mixing setup so use them to get familiar as possible with the speakers.

If you can afford it, go with some older NS1000Ms. My dad uses those has is main channels at his place... WOW is all i can say.. very crisp, very clear, bass is a little under where i would like it to be, but all in all a flagship speaker... even to this day they are one of the highest regarded speakers made!

As far as symphonic metal.. to me that would be something along the line of Metallica???
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwardsDyl View Post
If you can afford it, go with some older NS1000Ms. My dad uses those has is main channels at his place... WOW is all i can say.. very crisp, very clear, bass is a little under where i would like it to be, but all in all a flagship speaker... even to this day they are one of the highest regarded speakers made!

ill have to look those up..in the mixing world the NS10s are regarded as epic. Even thought they are super cheap and simple. But the saying goes

"if you can make is sound good on some NS10s, it'll sound good anywhere"

ill look those up..price will be a big factor of course haha

this is my fav Pink Floyd song, The Great Gig in the Sky...SO cool!

http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Great+G...y/3WEJea?src=5
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #17
The Red Bull

Quote:
ill have to look those up..in the mixing world the NS10s are regarded as epic. Even thought they are super cheap and simple. But the saying goes

"if you can make is sound good on some NS10s, it'll sound good anywhere"

ill look those up..price will be a big factor of course haha

this is my fav Pink Floyd song, The Great Gig in the Sky...SO cool!

http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Great+G...y/3WEJea?src=5
Phenominal song.. but doesn't rival Welcome to the Machine... Or any song on the album (Wish You Were Here (song and album!) of course being the absolute best of Pink Floyd) It is amazing to think that she (Clare Torry) thought she did horrible and apologized for that take!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #18
The Red Bull

Quote:
NS1000ms..cheaper then NS10s..wow haha
Wow... never thought i would see the day i would see them that cheap... no shit.. about a little over a year or so, those were sitting closer to the 1000 range! Looks like i will be bidding on some on ebay!!

Edit: Was looking at the wrong set... thought something was off. the ones i was looking at didn't have the freq adjustment for the mids and highs... below is what i am talking about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-NS100...item2c6c9bd18d
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #19
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

mmm dual amped. I wish i could go up to dual amped on my axoims. only one set of bananas tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9RcUgAbgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYBSw2fznbs

Also the genera tends to get mixed in with metal and gothic a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrgsJvL0VU More gothic rock but will come up as similar artists as epica.

Nightwish is another popular symphonic metal band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MTDBb8qro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3t9YCYqPno
Shit quality but live with a Symphony

Long post FTW