Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Build to Order Guitar Specs Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lespaulkid01 View Post
I see you're in San Diego? I lived down there last summer and got to meet some local luthiers. It's amazing to me how big the local acoustic music/building scene is out there compared to here on the east coast. My only regret about spending the summer out there was that I was working and didn't have the chance to make it out to El Cajon. haha I have to say though, I played a SCGC 1929 at the store out there where I bought my Eastman. That was an absolutely beautiful guitar. It played like butter and could handle pretty much anything I played very elegantly and clearly. It felt like it was custom built for and I loved it, but it was about 4x my budget

That is definitely something I would love to do too, but around here I just don't think it would be profitable enough to make a living, and I have absolutely no woodworking experience haha. I've also been interested in just learning how to do some repairs like set ups, basic cleating, etc.
Don't get me wrong, but this is a trade that requires a commitment to poverty. I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything but unless you're the owner and can get capital enough to make a production leap into making several thousand a month - and the reputation and the sales force to move all those - you're going to be poor for the rest of your life. Yeah, Santa Cruz made some five-figure guitars while I was there (and got in some six-figure guitars which I got to play, oh yes) but the owner isn't a rich man and never will be. And it's not because he's a dummy (he most assuredly isn't) or because he makes things people don't want (I don't think we ever got down from an 18-month waiting period while I was there). The economics of the thing just don't lend themselves to making a lot of profit or being able to pay your labor a lot of cash or benefits.

If you want to make money woodworking, make custom furniture. Seriously.

OP: glad you're happy with your axe. Yeah, it's not the kind of thing most people can afford to do more than once. I'm a big fan of the slothead headstock.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Roll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quinton
Roll Tide's Tacoma Gallery
Just received my first guitar, as a 32 year old man. Don't know how to play a single thing. Wow is it intimidating. It was a gift from my dad, and while its not some super awesome brand or anything, it's going to be what I learn on. Fender has a pretty bad rep in the acoustic world. For now though this will be just fine. I can't believe how beautiful these things can get!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
Lespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLespaulkid01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Lespaulkid01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
Just received my first guitar, as a 32 year old man. Don't know how to play a single thing. Wow is it intimidating. It was a gift from my dad, and while its not some super awesome brand or anything, it's going to be what I learn on. Fender has a pretty bad rep in the acoustic world. For now though this will be just fine. I can't believe how beautiful these things can get!
Welcome to the wonderful world of guitars. haha it definitely can be intimidating at first, but it's not so bad. and there is nothing wrong with a cheaper starter. Hell, I didn't buy my first "nice" acoustic until last year and I've been playing for about 9.5 years now. If you're having lots of problems though, maybe take it in somewhere for a setup, and it will make a world of difference.

As for now, start slow and take your time. It'll come with time and it's a whole lot of fun. haha Are you taking lessons or anything?

I've recently bought a Dobro and had my old mandolin restored so now I've got one instrument that I'm decent on and two that I have no clue what I'm doing. haha
Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
Roll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quinton
Roll Tide's Tacoma Gallery
I'm picking up what I can from the interwebz. Youtube mainly. I was a band nerd in high school...and basically just memorized what to "finger" depending upon where the note was. I didn't actually learn to read the notes, just the counts and fingering. But I understand some. I am also shopping who to get lessons from, in my area. I work a strange shift, so it can be tough on scheduling, along with time for my wife, and 1 year old daughter. I picked up and learned how to play happy birthday on "one string" the other night for my daughters birthday, she had no clue, but it was cool to play it for her. I now officially hate my pinky and ring finger on my left hand, as they don't do what I tell them to. Oh, and my fingers are sore. HAHAHA.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #25
TOPOMICH04COMA is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
TOPOMICH04COMA's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Thread.

Nice thread. Taylor makes some beautiful guitars. I grew up around Martins with two older brothers playing them. A D-42 and a D-35. I played flute and sang high harmonies at family sessions...holidays mostly.
In 2006 my brother passed and left me his 1974 D-35 he had purchased new. It was very difficult to play, my brother had worn the frets and it needed a neck reset. After a ton of work....frets, neck reset, fixed the famous 70's' split at the pick guard, it was one of the Martins built with the bridge in the wrong location, making proper tonation but a dream, and that was corrected as well. I had his initials placed at the octave fret.
I have been faithful ever since, playing often. It really sounds sweet and I continue to improve and grow as a player. There are a lot of great guitars, but after having grown up where and when I did, nothing beats the sound of a Martin.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I was jamming a bit today and got my little bro to take some photos of the guitar in action. Thought I'd share here.

DSCF0611.jpg by AdelphosChaz, on Flickr

DSCF0618.jpg by AdelphosChaz, on Flickr
Old 03-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #27
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #28
Taco turned Burrito
DelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Supervisor
DelRioTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That guitar is gorgeous! I would love to have a BTO acoustic someday. I just finished building my dream Gibson SG electric from a stripped body/neck kit. Still have some work to do, since the nut is too low and causes buzzing at 4/5/6 on the G. I'll be installing a new Gotoh graphite nut on my next day off to fix that issue. I won't hijack your thread with pics of mine (see Guitar Builds and Mods thread). Glad to see you playing again after your injuries!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #29

Hijack it all you want ha my intentions were that others could post up their guitars, dream guitars, and projects.