1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Singles- make or break?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Russellstiltskin, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin [OP] Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    I'm curious. When you guys hear a band/artist's single, does it make it or break it for you? Example: if you don't like it, less liken to buy the album. If u like, more likely? OR, you figure to purchase i-tunes (or similar) and either purchase whole album or just the select songs u like?

My new record is in its final stages. Studio wants to release a song prior to album release, and for the life of me I can't decide which of the 10 songs to do. My previous bands have always just been predominantly full cd sales and never released a "single" prior to release, even when on tour. ( with exception of one ). Just curious. It's taking more time to decide than the actual studio recording. Lol

2. Sep 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    If I'm unfamiliar with the band, a single is my first impression of them. if I really like it, I'm likely to buy the album; if not, I probably won't

However, if I'm already familiar with the band (and like them); I won't not buy their album cause I thought the single was crappy

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  3. Sep 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM
    flatblack

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    ...And as far as choosing, I guess it's also sort of based on that:

Are you known? If so, maybe choosing a song that you think best represents the album is the way to go

Are you unknown? If so, maybe choose a song that you think best represents your band and will appeal to the broadest range of your target audience

4. Sep 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Locally known, yes. Ive been on small tours in the lower 48 few years back with different bands. Been in the scenes here in one shape to another for a fairly long time. I've taken a breather the last year and a half to get married and focus on personal stuff like that. I'm trying to find the happy median. Studio wants to release a catchy single, followed by another single (likely a song with different feel to it to contrast the other) prior to releasing 5 songs for an EP while new material gets added before finally releasing a full length album (12-15 songs or so). I've just never done it this way before, so trying to see what folks thoughts are on the matter of singles released.

5. Sep 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto.

Actually, if I was familiar with the band, I would generally skip the single because they were always trimmed-down versions of the song intended for a quick 3-minute shot on AM radio.

But I'm thinking back to the days of wax and have no idea how singles are handled today. Is it just a pre-release on iTunes?

6. Sep 23, 2013 at 5:09 AM
    flatblack

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    Yes, I think I've only bought one single in my entire life; and that was just to test out the first CD Walkman that I was given

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  7. Sep 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I usually only ever buy singles.... it just depends.

I'll go on itunes and check out the rest of the songs on the album. If there are multiple songs in that album that are popular that I've heard before (but didn't necessarily consider buying at first) - then I'll buy the entire album.
    And that's a matter of cost..... why spend $1.29 for each song when you can get the entire album for $13 and save $$.

And yes...I use itunes popularity to help me even look for 'likable' songs.

After all....(for me anyway), I don't know any songs exist unless I hear them on the radio / TV / Pandora or whatever. If its on the radio/TV/Pandora..it's already a popular song. I let the popularity of songs dictate what I buy - more or less.

The last year or so, have developed a liking to certain artists based on how many songs I've purchased from them in the past. If I have favorite artists - I have been known to prepay for albums before their release dates. And obviously....the more songs you buy, the more artists become favorites and the more albums you buy from that artist.

8. Sep 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    It'll probably be a free download to start, in terms of the single. But the EP will probably use i-tunes and spotify. I like i-tunes because EVERYONE has it. And like you guys said, you can pick which songs to buy if you don't want the entire disc. I do that quite often as well. Lol

9. Sep 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    One of the biggest things nowadays that has a huge impact on music and artists is youtube. Yeah itunes will get your song out there but youtube will make it known. People won't know who you are when they see your song on tinues, but if it's popular on youtube it will get them to buy the song. At least that's how it goes for me. If I listen to it on youtube enough I will go and get it for my iipod

10. Sep 24, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    What kind of music you putting out? Rap, rock, pop rocks? Mmmm pop rocks.

Anyway in the past when you still had to buy a cd, I'd buy a whole album if I.liked the single. I figures, they made one good song, has to be atleast one or two more on the album that I like.

I can imagine its hard to decide what's the best song, out of a group of songs you wrote. I mean, you wrote them and recorded them, so you must like them. It's like picking a favorite kid.

When you put it out, throw the link up. TW will support you.

11. Sep 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

I have bought many a 45rpm single. Sometimes you would get lucky and both sides were good generally with mega groups like beatles, stones etc...

12. Sep 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    And sometimes even newer groups.
    Boston's "More than a Feeling" had "Long Time" on the B-Side.

13. Sep 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Scorpions got "good" at that after Crazy World. One song got the airplay, and there might have been 3 decent tunes on the entire CD.
    Pure Instinct was the last one I bought from them.
    Not really. I put together a 5-song EP back in '86 and there's a couple of tunes that I wouldn't want to put on a single. One is just mediocre at best, and would not have been included on the CD if I had finished the rest of the project, and one is a kinda fun "Chuck Berry" influenced thing, but not distinctive enough to be on a single.

14. Sep 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    It's rock. Not metal, but not soft either. I'd be pressed to say my writing has taken a more "Christian rock" (along the lines of Switchfoot or something of that nature, not the hallelujah kind lol) lately. The thing is that the song suggested I use as the first release isn't really my favorite one. But, as of today I'll probably go with that one prior to an ep. I've started bands over the years, but few years ago really got in to doing just an acoustic act. Easy set up/take down, money is split one way also which Is always nice. Lol. But the sings were always meant to be full arrangements.

I'll definitely let you know when I get it put online for download. Http://www.reverbnation.com/russperry is my main music page.

I hadn't thought about b-sides. Maybe I'll consider that, though with the Internet and download, what's the point?

Thanks for the opinions guys! It's helping me a lot!

15. Sep 25, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Makes sense. I've never wrote a song or recorded any music, so I would have no clue what that's like. Ha ha.

And yeah, it always amazed me, when the single was great, but the rest of the album was pure shit. I would think, how could you right such a great song, and then think these others are any good?
    Nice, will be looking forward to hearing it.

16. Oct 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
  17. Oct 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: I dig it!

18. Oct 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Thanks!!! I'll definitely let u know when the cd is available in full.

19. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    I've got the cd master sent to me. I uploaded the title track last night at www.reverbnation.com/russperry
    It's called Transition. The entire record should be available on i-tunes, spotify and a few other sites for purchase in the next few weeks. Once I get off my lazy arse. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top