Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Remembering Duane Allman

Old 10-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Remembering Duane Allman

So today marks the day that (IMO) the greatest guitarist to ever play had his fatal motorcycle wreck 40 years ago in Macon, GA. Duane was only 24 when he died, so there's no telling how great he'd be if he were still around today. I'm 24 right now and can't imagine picking up a guitar and making the noise he did with it!

I live about 30 mins north of Macon and have been meaning to go visit the Big House (the old Allman bro's home, now turned into a museum), Rose Hill Cemetery, where Duane and Barry Oakley, as well as Elizabeth Reed are buried. There is also H&H restaurant, where the Allman Bros ate whenever they came back through Macon. Mrs. Louise, who cooked back in the 60's, still cooks there today and tells stories about the Allman Bros band coming in all the time! They even took her on tour a few times! Also, Molly Hatchet and Wet Willy ate here a lot. She is an old Southern black lady, so you know the food is freaking awesome (stereotyping, I know...but it's true)! Finally, there is the intersection where Duane had his wreck...and a few miles up the road is the intersection where Barry Oakley had his wreck; both died in motorcycle wrecks not even a year apart and not even 2 miles from each other. If any of y'all live close, you should go check it out sometime.

Anyway, to get off my 'Visit Macon' advertising, Duane was a badass guitarist who died way too young. I'm sure if you've read all this, you're an Allman Bros fan, so play a song for Duane today! Here's some rare 30 minute footage of him at the Love Valley Music Festival playing a 30 minute improvised guitar solo during the song 'Mountain Jam' on his 1957 goldtop Les Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joafeJQ890A
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
I've just had an apostrophe.
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharypaul89 View Post
So today marks the day that (IMO) the greatest guitarist to ever play had his fatal motorcycle wreck 40 years ago in Macon, GA. Duane was only 24 when he died, so there's no telling how great he'd be if he were still around today. I'm 24 right now and can't imagine picking up a guitar and making the noise he did with it!

I live about 30 mins north of Macon and have been meaning to go visit the Big House (the old Allman bro's home, now turned into a museum), Rose Hill Cemetery, where Duane and Barry Oakley, as well as Elizabeth Reed are buried. There is also H&H restaurant, where the Allman Bros ate whenever they came back through Macon. Mrs. Louise, who cooked back in the 60's, still cooks there today and tells stories about the Allman Bros band coming in all the time! They even took her on tour a few times! Also, Molly Hatchet and Wet Willy ate here a lot. She is an old Southern black lady, so you know the food is freaking awesome (stereotyping, I know...but it's true)! Finally, there is the intersection where Duane had his wreck...and a few miles up the road is the intersection where Barry Oakley had his wreck; both died in motorcycle wrecks not even a year apart and not even 2 miles from each other. If any of y'all live close, you should go check it out sometime.

Anyway, to get off my 'Visit Macon' advertising, Duane was a badass guitarist who died way too young. I'm sure if you've read all this, you're an Allman Bros fan, so play a song for Duane today! Here's some rare 30 minute footage of him at the Love Valley Music Festival playing a 30 minute improvised guitar solo during the song 'Mountain Jam' on his 1957 goldtop Les Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joafeJQ890A
The local rock station is playing a bunch of Allman Bros tunes today for that reason. I heard Jessica on the way in to work this morning. One of my favorites.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
The local rock station is playing a bunch of Allman Bros tunes today for that reason. I heard Jessica on the way in to work this morning. One of my favorites.
Awesome! That's one of my favorites, too. 2 Sunday's ago, they did 35 straight Skynyrd songs to remember the 35th anniversary of the plane going down and killing Van Zandt and a few other members. It was awesome