Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment > Music

Notices

music storage

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
music storage

so i'm running into a new problem with my music... I've currently got about 50GB of just music that I'd like to be able to take with me in the truck. I don't exactly care if its on my phone sense I don't think I wanna spend the $400 to the get the 64GB iPhone (yes I'm limiting my phone to an iPhone because all my other electronics with with iOS and I don't want to have sync issues).

so my dilemma: how do I take all 50+GB of music on the road with me???

I've been looking into gettin a Pioneer head unit: Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS

and this has a USB input in the rear that I'm thinking I might be able to plug an external hard drive into that's got nothin but music on it.. that sound like a possibility to anyone??
Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
buy a used zune

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Zu...-/221343815293
Old 01-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

with my old one, the audio output was AWESOME compared to ipods.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

how does it sync tho? specifically with iTunes and the head unit? I'm looking for something that can easily be filled/edited with iTunes but also works and can be controlled by the head unit.... i've always have stereos in my past car that could control my phones and I hate trying to screw with the music on my phone now while driving... I really don't like havin to look away from the road when driving
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
NRA Endowment - Member
mwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
The possible problem with a regular hard drive is crashing the heads on big bumps. I was going to try it anyway but the Entune system won't power a hard drive, only a memory stick... So I got a really big stick, but it was really expensive...
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Mr. President

no it uses microsoft software. idk about any head units with zune players.

Always get an older ipod, I said zune because they are cheaper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-C...item3cdae3aa54
Old 01-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Mr. President

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwc273 View Post
The possible problem with a regular hard drive is crashing the heads on big bumps. I was going to try it anyway but the Entune system won't power a hard drive, only a memory stick... So I got a really big stick, but it was really expensive...
I found a 32gb for 15 dollars, how big did you get
Old 01-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I know I want the upgraded head unit anyway for many other reason... I don't like the stock stereo..

also, as much as I like iPod's they're relatively expensive for one that's big enough to hold what i've got, plus in a short while I'll have more than any of them can handle....

I really like music and am constantly getting more.. wouldn't be surprised if I hit 80GB by the years end..
Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
NRA Endowment - Member
mwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
I found a 32gb for 15 dollars, how big did you get
512 GB

54,860 Tracks

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Preda...sh+drive+512gb
Old 01-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
512 GB

54,860 Tracks

ok you got me beat.... currently sitting at a little over 10K songs... wanna swap some music sometime? haha

question there tho... with having it all just on a flash drive, can you view it by artist or just track number??? cuz i had a stereo in the past right when USB was really get in started and it was a PITA haven to scroll through all the songs to find that one you wanted to hear
Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Mr. President

Quote:

You are going to be a sad person if you ever lose that

Pretty sweet though!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
NRA Endowment - Member

mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
ok you got me beat.... currently sitting at a little over 10K songs... wanna swap some music sometime? haha

question there tho... with having it all just on a flash drive, can you view it by artist or just track number??? cuz i had a stereo in the past right when USB was really get in started and it was a PITA haven to scroll through all the songs to find that one you wanted to hear
If you tag your tracks properly, you can search by song name, album name, artist name, whatever...

The problem with the big stick is that the processor in the Entune head unit is slooooooow... It takes a few minutes to index that many tracks, and even when indexed, the [ABC] [DEF] [GHI] search interface is difficult to navigate. It would be nice if in a future update, they would let you choose [ABC] then sub-choose [A] or [B] or [C], because if you have 5000 tracks in [ABC], and you scroll through them 10 at a time, it can be a real pain to find the [B] track you are looking for...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
If you tag your tracks properly, you can search by song name, album name, artist name, whatever...

The problem with the big stick is that the processor in the Entune head unit is slooooooow... It takes a few minutes to index that many tracks, and even when indexed, the [ABC] [DEF] [GHI] search interface is difficult to navigate. It would be nice if in a future update, they would let you choose [ABC] then sub-choose [A] or [B] or [C], because if you have 5000 tracks in [ABC], and you scroll through them 10 at a time, it can be a real pain to find the [B] track you are looking for...
that makes sense... I'm pretty sure all of mine are properly tagged.. at least the are in iTunes. and on the entune note. that's really stupid! I may not have 5K of [ABC] tracks but scrolling through the 1k+ i do have 10 at a time would suck!!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This,i bought a 160 GB ipod classic 5th generation from Flea-bay for 100$ shipped.

I'll never fill it up... in the next years.. Im at about 16GB of music now, my 8GB ipod touch didnt have the space
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #16
Mr. President

Quote:

Hold on a second. Your telling us you bought 27k or almost 55k songs? (depending on what the numbers mean up there)

Old 01-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #17

Quote:
So your telling us you bought almost 55k songs?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
NRA Endowment - Member

mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Hold on a second. Your telling us you bought 27k or almost 55k songs? (depending on what the numbers mean up there)

No... I started collecting back in the mid 90s, when I ripped my CD collection (of around 1500 CDs) into .mp3s. Traded in the CDs for more CDs at Everybodys Records, ripped them, traded them, ripped some more, etc, etc for the last 20 years... Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm...
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
TACOMA GNOME will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement:
TACOMA GNOME's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have wonderful taste in music
Old 01-10-2014, 02:51 AM   #20
NRA Endowment - Member

mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA GNOME View Post
You have wonderful taste in music
Thanks.
Long live Bon Scott!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdagpIgItw#t=36

Products Discussed in this Thread