Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment > Music

Notices

The Beatles- the most overrated band of all time

Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!
TacoGlenn is on a distinguished road

TacoGlenn's Tacoma Gallery
The Beatles- the most overrated band of all time

I realize this might be the equivalent to tossing a lit cigar into a munitions plant but here goes. IMO The Beatles are hands down the most overrated band in history. There is a thread on TW asking members their top 10 bands, even if there was top 100 band thread The Beatles would not make my list. I only have one Beatles song in my entire Itunes collection, “Paperback Writer” ('cause I like the geetar), and I seriously doubt I'll ever acquire another Beatles song again.
Radio stations across the country often have the “top 500 songs of all time” contests around holidays. And invariably the number one song is “Hey Jude” or “Let it Be”, to my mind a couple of plodding and uninspired songs as all get out. I don't hate The Beatles, if I was on a desert island and only had The Beatles to listen to, I would (all the while wishing I had something else). I just think there are gobs of better bands and songs.
So if you agree with me, chime in. If not...well...I've battened down the hatches, braced myself, and ready to absorb all the ill will, derision, vitriol, and hate anyone can muster.
Cheers.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Grundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grundletaint's Tacoma Gallery
Your top 100 list saddens me.

As far as rating and overrating....I think Radiohead gets waaaaaaay more rating than they deserve.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
the Ramones > the Beatles

the beatles are ok. radiohead is pretty good. but for my money, i'd take the ramones over the beatles all day, every day, for the rest of my life if i had to. The beatles are indeed overrated.

Sub'd
Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Far from my favorite band, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Lennon and McCartney are one of the best songwriting duos to ever walk this planet.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
bigbarlo is on a distinguished road

Name: Chan
bigbarlo's Tacoma Gallery
Who do you like OP?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah they pretty much set the stage for every single thing that had anything to do with music after them, but definately over rated. I dont listen to much of their stuff, but verse chorus verse chorus pretty much started by them (atleast made popular by them) and still almost every song follow suite. Skynard or g&r most over rated band? I could see that.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
Yeah they pretty much set the stage for every single thing that had anything to do with music after them, but definately over rated. I dont listen to much of their stuff, but verse chorus verse chorus pretty much started by them (atleast made popular by them) and still almost every song follow suite. Skynard or g&r most over rated band? I could see that.
I like this guy. He's from Alabama and still has found it in his heart to be honest and admit lynard skynard is overrated. Gnr is OK in my book, but also overrated.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!
TacoGlenn is on a distinguished road

TacoGlenn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarlo View Post
Who do you like OP?

see:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mus...ml#post9186349
Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
WOW.......and the music today is much better right.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by detnight View Post
WOW.......and the music today is much better right.
Ha hahahahaha... no. The radio is the devil. It has been for quite some time. The only music worth listening to is music that is a band's or a solo artist's personal art. Not mass produced garbage pumped out by record company puppets with no inspiration. They just follow a formula and try to make the most money possible off their black and white, 2 dimensional "music."
Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yota243's Tacoma Gallery
Also if (which i dont) u consider country music, all of the band in that genre, for lack of a better term, would be over rated.

True story
Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
It all died with grunge in the early 90s. Shit and more shit. Thanks nirvana.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
thewarriordinghy is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
thewarriordinghy's Tacoma Gallery
alice in chains!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
...It Hurts when I Pee...
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: ParaRescue-SpecOPs
Name: Doc
AWF ROWD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGlenn View Post
You might get away with a playlist like that with 25 year olds...but you're way off base if you think thats even in the Ballpark with the Beatles, and the real Rock and Roll genre era ...todays music is alot of noise, and I consider myself have an eclectic taste in all music....the "groups" these days are playing 3 chords at best and calling it Music...
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
Also if (which i dont) u consider country music, all of the band in that genre, for lack of a better term, would be over rated.

True story
Did we just become best friends? We're the same age and both live in the south where country western music is beyond overrated... especially that neo pop country garbage. Do you like metal and punk rock?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #17

yota243's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah hard rock and a little progressive rock i guess. I have a soft spot for everything breaking benjamin did because they were the first rock band i ever really got into (until i was 16 and could drive i only thought country came on the radio) i also got on a huge 90's kick for a couple years so pearl jam, bush, 7 marry 3 etc are pretty easy listening for me.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #18
Chesh is just really niceChesh is just really niceChesh is just really niceChesh is just really nice
Chesh's Tacoma Gallery
Come Together is an okay song, but i think the Beetles suck donkey balls. Bunch of dirty fucking hippies singing about how great Communism is as far as I'm concerned.

Give me some Hank III or KMFDM.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #19
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Liking or not liking the Beatles is fine, but I find it hard to believe anyone with a honest appreciation for music could call them overrated. In 10 short years, all before they were 30 years old, they completely changed popular music and the music industry, influencing practically every musical act since their time.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #20

yota243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh View Post
Come Together is an okay song, but i think the Beetles suck donkey balls. Bunch of dirty fucking hippies singing about how great Communism is as far as I'm concerned.

Give me some Hank III or KMFDM.
Pretty sure u just became the least popular member on tw.

CONGRATULATIONS! !!