Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page

Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #41
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I have to give the overall nod to Page, just because of his diverse styles and yes, he managed to stay alive until now doing it.

But the absolute best talent of all time with straight ahead blues-rock-jam style was Hendrix. And I never cared for Hendrix much for years because all I ever had heard was the "Jimmy Hendrix Experience" stuff which I think sux mostly. Not sure if this was really his fault or that of the music executives.

But when I was around 20 I first heard the Band of Gypsys album with Buddy Miles (sample cut in the post above) and that removed all doubt as to his real genius. So tremendous talent with short career span due to his drug abuse.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #42
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Neither. I'm choosing... (Drum roll please)

Richie Sambora.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #43
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Hendrix is great. So is Page, SRV, EVH, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #44
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexForbesR6 View Post
hmm if hendricks had lived longer i would say hime...but page has be alive and getting better so ill have to go with page...if anything just for everything he has created in his lifetime...hendricks was an amazing guitarist but he died too soon to accomplish everything he was capable of
^This.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #45
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Jeff Beck
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #47
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
roy clark
Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #49
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to say Hendrix IMHO blows Page out of the water. The thing with Page is that he is a master with creating iconic riffs, but his solos always leave me hanging.

It appears to me that Page learned his guitar scales and stuck with them throughout his career - all his solos revolve around pentatonic licks that are overly played out; I am not saying they suck, but there is not much stretching of the musical vocabulary. John Paul Jones made Led Zeppelin who they were, Jimmy Page gets too much credit.

Maybe because I play guitar I see it a little differently, but I feel like Page plays around with the scales during his solos and knows enough to make it work, while Hendrix hears the music in his head then transcribes it out on the guitar. For example, Little Wing is a perfect fusion of rhythm and lead work, I can't think of any Zeppelin song that can touch that ability.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #50
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
I would have to say Hendrix IMHO blows Page out of the water. The thing with Page is that he is a master with creating iconic riffs, but his solos always leave me hanging.

It appears to me that Page learned his guitar scales and stuck with them throughout his career - all his solos revolve around pentatonic licks that are overly played out; I am not saying they suck, but there is not much stretching of the musical vocabulary. John Paul Jones made Led Zeppelin who they were, Jimmy Page gets too much credit.

Maybe because I play guitar I see it a little differently, but I feel like Page plays around with the scales during his solos and knows enough to make it work, while Hendrix hears the music in his head then transcribes it out on the guitar. For example, Little Wing is a perfect fusion of rhythm and lead work, I can't think of any Zeppelin song that can touch that ability.
I play too, and concur. Page is all about blues scales. Hendrix was an experimenter, made his guitar make sounds never heard before, and very few can replicate.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #51
Nowhereman04 will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
Nowhereman04's Tacoma Gallery
I like both...I just like Jimmy more. It's really just a matter of opinion.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #52
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
Jimmy Page!!! I get called Jimmy frequently because I have long wavy hair... and I actually do play the guitar.

Yeah, I'm 57 years old and living the 60/70's again. Minus the drugs.