1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Canuck in search for my new Taco

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ToyotaFTW, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    ToyotaFTW

ToyotaFTW [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey, new here. Drooling over the info you guys have provided :p

Love the second gen Tacos. I currently own a 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf from Japan that's for sale. Need a truck and decided to hunt down my next project. Here's some pics of the Hilux if you guys are interested:

[​IMG]

DSCF3595_d4d967c6dca05ccb30575507e077335eea56436f.jpg

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    :wave: Hey neighbour , love the summer shots of your Hilux in SK . Not much snow for August .

:canada::thumbsup:

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    mgage10

mgage10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
    It's Taco time my friend :) Like the surf/4 runner though

4. Jul 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    Series1000

Series1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    Lots
    Mmm taco time

5. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    ToyotaFTW

ToyotaFTW [OP] Member

Member:
    hey, just had to show the winter version too :p and some fun in the snow

TACO TIME! lovin it, can't wait to start a new project once I get one!

6. Jul 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Phantom_X-SP

Phantom_X-SP Rude Boy |><|

Member:
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Black Sand Pearl X-SP
    Nice ride! Welcome aboard!

7. Jul 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    looks like a nice rig to have some fun with,

good luck on the hunt for the new taco! :canada:

8. Jul 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    duffy_north

duffy_north Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    check out some of the threads about Canadians sourcing their Taco in the US. Lots of coin to be saved.

9. Jul 9, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    ToyotaFTW

ToyotaFTW [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks, I feel welcomed here! :)

This is great, thanks! I've been sourcing some out from there, I'm no stranger to importing vehicles since the one above I imported from Japan last year. Should be much easier from the states! Less to worry about with compliance, etc.

10. Jul 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    Just a warning about importing trucks from USA-

I have heard of several people who are getting screwed around because of "unsafe floormat clips".

My friend is trying to import one and it has been held up by DOT/customs for 6 weeks now. They won't just let you buy the new clips and install them.

Find out what's involved first- or maybe have the dealer install new clips before importing.

11. Jul 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Also know that different configurations aren't available in Canada like they are in the states. There are no Access cab Sport editions or Double cab Off Road editions in Canada. (For some fucked up reason)

That being said, look at the DYI section on how to install DTRLs and a block heater to save some coin from the dealer.

Second, try looking at dealers near oil regions. (Fort Mac, Edmonton, Lloydminister.) Lots of guys get trucks and either upgrade to a full size or sell the truck cause they can't make payments due to the volatile nature of the business. (Almost happened to me.)

I bought my truck second hand with 800kms on it from a dealer in Edmonton cause the guy upgraded to a Ford F350 Diesel. Go figure.

12. Jul 11, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    ToyotaFTW

ToyotaFTW [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks for the heads up guys ;)

I've been checking some of the oil sands locations as well. I was there once so I know what kind of condition those trucks can be in as well...

I think it's bs that you need a block heater to pass inspection... importing a car/truck from japan does not require this..

13. Jul 12, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    duffy_north

duffy_north Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    I just brought a 2009 Taco into Ontario, and there is no block heater requirement that I'm aware of. DTRL, yes, and there is a thread here that shows how to do this, which I did and it worked well.

Somebody mentioned issues with the floormat/gas pedal recall. That is currently an issue. You cannot get your RIV inspection form which you will need to get registered in your province because Taco owners cannot produce a clean recall letter. Toyota has not yet issued the remedy for the Taco, so we can't get the fix completed and get a clean recall letter. Some of us have been waiting for a 6 weeks or so. Have been told it's imminent and from all sources, should not be too long now.

Products Discussed in

To Top