1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello from a newb

Discussion in 'New Members' started by RATyson, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    RATyson

RATyson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey folks!

I've been drooling over these Tacos since 2005... I've never been much of a truck fanatic... but the styling of these things has roped me in.
    I currently have a Subaru WRX wagon (2002) and am looking to sell it, and buy a Taco.

One quick question:
    There is a 2005 TRD Sport 4x4 for sale here for $19,900 with 65k miles on it.
    It is the exact color/package that I want.. But, with 65k miles on it, is it worth the pricetag?
    How many miles would be considered "High" for a 2005 Taco? I don't necessarily have an issue with buying a vehicle with 65k miles on it as long as I know I'll get a long life out of it. I tend to take good care of my vehicles.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Ahh shoot, that Taco's still in it's infancy @ 65K. Well that is dependent on what type those miles were, serviced regularly, highway vs. dust bowl driven, etc. But 65K wouldn't scare me. Got 80K on my '07 and 260K on my '95 Camry. Get the history behind those miles & good luck! BTW welcome to TW!!!

3. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

4. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    unentered

unentered Son of Baconator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB4x4MGM
    OME 886/Dakar, ARE CX, AMS Filter, WT Mats, 255/85/16s
    Vehicles sell for different prices in different areas, consult kbb.com and nada as well.

NADA is what most dealers I've worked with go by.

If the price isn't right for you, offer them what you'd like to pay for it, and if they can not match that, it's then up to you if you're willing to pay what they want for it. 65k isn't all that much for a Tacoma or a 2005.

In the end it's all up to you, it's going to be YOUR truck. Good luck.

Jake

5. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    unentered

unentered Son of Baconator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB4x4MGM
    OME 886/Dakar, ARE CX, AMS Filter, WT Mats, 255/85/16s
    Oh, and welcome to Tacoma World!

6. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :wave: Welcome to the site!!

7. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4- totaled
    OEM bug deflector
    I'd say the price is a little high, as a new owner of an 05 myself. I'd say offer 17,500. I'd say you'd be fine with those miles..depending on what you mileage you drive everyday. I'd see what tsb's have been done too....might want to get the rear leaf spring added if you plan on towing.

8. Jul 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    RATyson

RATyson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info guys! And the welcome.

I just looked at the truck, and honestly don't think it is worth the money.

The previous owner was a smoker. The thing smells, and they tried to cover it up with febreeze... so now it smells like cigarettes and that fake new car smell stuff.. I just quit smoking.. and it wasn't pleasant. Plus there are a couple of cigarette burns. Two in the back seat, one on the center console top, and one in the little tray just below the outlets in the center dash.

The tow plug housing and cover are broken, and it looks like the plug is barely holding on to the mount.

There are several decent size scratches, which on a vehicle with 65k doesn't really mean much... but with the previous stuff, it adds that much to the down side.

The motor looked nice and clean with no evidence of oil leaks, that is a plus. But the air intake hose is either broken at the mount on the air box, or just not installed correctly. The clamps are closed, but the back side is hanging off, and you can see half of the air cleaner just by standing next to the truck.

The guy at the dealer said that someone in California is coming out on friday to buy it. He already put a deposit on it... hopefully they disclosed all of this information to this person before he decided to buy a plane ticket!!

If any of you know someone on this board who is in Cali, and buying in Huntsville (Madison) Alabama... you may want to have them check further into it.

9. Jul 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    GWL

GWL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Cole Harbour N.S.
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner 5speed 4x4 :)
    welcome to tw from canada

10. Jul 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    welcome chief..

Products Discussed in

To Top