1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension issues...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by K25, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    K25

K25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5 4x4
    leer camper shell bedliner rough country front & back 881's re-proportioning valve relocation kit muffler drop kit diff drop kit Dakar leafs Light racing UCA's 1" poly top spacers 1.25" spidertrax spacers
    Hello

I'm a new Tacoma owner, not a new tacoma though, and need some help. I have to warn you though I'm not up on all the common terms used on some of the threads I've been reading.

I would like to add that I really appreciate all the info I've already found on this website. You guys do a good job of laying down the pros/cons of everything, and giving your best recommendation. Much appreciated.

I have been wanting the Tacoma that I now own for over 4yrs. It's the perfect truck for me. So I really want to take care of it and make sure I do what makes sense for the life of my truck (and my personal preference of course). I do know my way around a vehicle, but like I said before I'm not familiar with all the terms.

The only issue I have right now is the suspension. I looked at the front shocks and leaf springs and they both look pretty bad. I am already wanting to lift the truck 2in so what I need to know is what to buy. Do I just go for some factory spec equipment, which may put it at the height I want it at? Or do I get some upgraded components right away. I'm just not sure how the truck is supposed to look with the normal stock (no wear and tear) components and whether or not I'll be pleased with that look.

Let me know if the pics I've attached are good enough, I can easily take some more. Thanks

Nate

040.jpg
    041.jpg

2. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    easiest and most affordable would be to buy billestien 5100's for the front end lift and do an AAL(add a leaf) for the rear lift with some billestien 5100 shocks for the rear also.

3. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    oh yah and wlecome

4. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    K25

K25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5 4x4
    leer camper shell bedliner rough country front & back 881's re-proportioning valve relocation kit muffler drop kit diff drop kit Dakar leafs Light racing UCA's 1" poly top spacers 1.25" spidertrax spacers
    By the way the ride does seem a little lose, and when I back out of my driveway the truck rocks a little as the front tires roll off the curb (individually).

5. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I would definitely upgrade since your replacing stuff. Beautiful truck. I'll let the first gen owners chime in on what to buy.

6. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    K25

K25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5 4x4
    The 5100's and an AAL are what I have been looking at. But then I got under my truck and noticed that the leaf springs look more like an 'S' than a 'U' if you know what I mean.

Excuse my ignorance but I've seen a lot of stuff on the 5100's being adjustable for the front, but nothing really on the back (as far as them being adjustable).

And I was wondering if the AAL would get my leaf pack up to par, or is it just a short term fix? I'm not a big off-roader, don't really have the time, so I don't need a lot of fancy suspension equipment. But I do want to make sure I'm not short-changing my truck.

7. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    K25

K25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5 4x4
    by the way those are some good looking trucks. Maybe one day mine will look similiar...

8. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    You could put in new leaf packs. The rear 5100's don't provide lift. No rear shocks do. The leafs yes.

9. Aug 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Welcome, fellow 1st genner.

You have hit on one of the biggest, typical issues for our trucks. The first thing I did (after lots and lost of research) was replace my stock suspension.

Go search the suspension forum for "leafs" and "coils." The are many threads from 1st genners inquiring about worn leaf springs. The shocks also are a bit weak and of course wear out. All this contributes to squishy, rolly, vague ride and control. This was the case with mine when I bought it used at 101K miles.

Basically, the OEM stuff sucks, and you can do better with aftermarket stuff.

Another issue (mainly aesthetic) is rake. The back by default was designed to be a little higher than the front, so that when the bed is loaded, the rear end doesn't "sag." Lots of people prefer to level the front and back. This is the main function of the Bilstein 5100 "leveling" shocks. (see attachment for the basic idea)

Here are some specific threads for you to peruse about a bunch of us figuring this out.

This first one is a primer to help you understand all the crazy terminology discussed in the other threads:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...heelers-offroad-1st-gen-leaf-replacement.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/83863-1st-gen-needs-suspension-upgrades-asap.html

And here is a great 1st-gen-specific list of threads that we have recently been working on (thanks to StAndrew):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...y-how-thread-compiled-list-helpful-links.html

Be careful as people offer advice that there are differences between 1st and 2nd gen parts, especially with the Bilstein 5100 part #s and settings.
    It may take a little time to get your head around the issue and what is right for you.

OME (Old Man Emu, don't confuse with OEM) makes some very good, and very popular suspension replacements for our truck. Several vendors offer various kits ready to go for certain kinds of replacements. You can check out Downsouth Motorsports, Wheeler's Offroad, and Toytec for starters, all with links on this site (and often deals for TW members).

Happy hunting. Start getting your head around things to narrow your options (budget, your typical driving use/needs, etc.), and keep asking questions. It's what we are here for!

Attached Files:

10. Aug 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Here are before and after shots of mine.

Note that I have a V6 and cap. These factors (and cab type, of course) area all factors in what your final ride height will be.

The specs for my lift are in my signature. Basically lifted nearly 2 inches in the front and 1.5 in the rear. The difference accounts for reducing rake. Note also that my tires are stock 265/70-16. This is a pretty common setup.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

11. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    K25

K25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5 4x4
    Thats about the look I was going for, just something to accomodate some 265/75/16 and give it a lifted look. Plus of course fixing the suspension issues. I'll look into what you have listed for sure, but I think that may be all I need.

12. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    K25

K25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5 4x4
    Just so I get this right, you got the OME for the front, and the leafs and bilstein for the rear, correct?

13. Aug 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Front: OME 881 plus Bilstein 5100s set at zero. The 881s provide the lift, not the 5100s. Long story, thought I would just use 5100s on stock coils, but then decided I needed the new coils to lift that high and preserve a decent ride quality. The stock coils are 375 lb progressive springs that collapse at the top. the OMEs are a 500-lb non-progressive coil that are taller than stock. Technically, don't need 5100s for this; you could use another shock of the correct length and rating, like one of OME's, but they are more expensive and 5100s work fine.

Back: New leaf pack plus 5100s (these are, of course, not adjustable. All lift from the pack.)

14. Aug 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    K25

K25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5 4x4
    got it, thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top