Notices

emergency brake cable replacement

Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
mytacoma2001 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Morse Code Operator
Name: Ron
mytacoma2001's Tacoma Gallery
Question emergency brake cable replacement

Have 2001 tacoma 4 wheel drive. Tried to replace front emergency brake, but can't get the pin that holds the emergency brake out. any body know of an easy way to remove the pin without taking it to a dealer. Don't want to do that. Thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Ecnerwal is on a distinguished road
Ecnerwal's Tacoma Gallery
Huh. two years and no answer?

Just had to figure this out. Found posts with people removing the whole assembly, removing the pin by driving it out, all sorts of work. Couldn't be right. Wasn't.

Take a flashlight, 12mm wrench or socket, pair of needlenose pliers. Grab the handle above the door and slide awkwardly under the dash on your back (don't take it apart.) Pull the pin retaining the axle on the pulley. Slide the axle out (easier if you push down the gas pedal.) set pulley, axle and pin aside. Use the 12mm to remove the parking brake switch. Now the "trick" - reach up near the dash, on top of the shaft mechanism, and feel for the two ratcheting bits. Push on them until the handle will push in just that extra bit that will let you pull the cable end out with the pliers (over where the pulley was).

Grease all the exposed parts of the cable very well, and use grease or antiseize on all the nuts and bolts for clamps and such, to slow the rate of rusting and reduce the time and frustration the next time you have to do this. Especially grease the exposed cable where the old one rusted and broke...

The pin at the other end (under the truck) was rusted in place, but a simple use of an old sledgehammer head with the hole over the pin as an "anvil" on top of it (with room to drive the pin into) and a hammer on the pin got that out.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
rgd720 is on a distinguished road
rgd720's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks -It Works!

Ecnerwal has the best method. Not the easiest to get to, but not bad. Thanks for the posting. Now I can get this truck registered and on the road.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Ecnerwal is on a distinguished road
Ecnerwal's Tacoma Gallery
HtH. It was one of those things where it simply didn't make sense what some people were going through to do it. Maybe on one of those cars where it's "remove fenders to change spark plugs" it would be that hard, but not on a Toyota...though "remove intake to change spark plugs" is getting there, come to think of it...but at least they are 100,000 mile plugs.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
NC Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
NC Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
emergency brake cable replacement

Thank you ecnerwal! I thought it was an elegant solution and the right way to do it. Only thing, I found I had to remove the lower dash panel to see the ratcheting pins and move them (for my 2003 model). Other than that, perfect!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
JLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Former NH LEO
JLee50's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnerwal View Post
Huh. two years and no answer?

Just had to figure this out. Found posts with people removing the whole assembly, removing the pin by driving it out, all sorts of work. Couldn't be right. Wasn't.

Take a flashlight, 12mm wrench or socket, pair of needlenose pliers. Grab the handle above the door and slide awkwardly under the dash on your back (don't take it apart.) Pull the pin retaining the axle on the pulley. Slide the axle out (easier if you push down the gas pedal.) set pulley, axle and pin aside. Use the 12mm to remove the parking brake switch. Now the "trick" - reach up near the dash, on top of the shaft mechanism, and feel for the two ratcheting bits. Push on them until the handle will push in just that extra bit that will let you pull the cable end out with the pliers (over where the pulley was).

Grease all the exposed parts of the cable very well, and use grease or antiseize on all the nuts and bolts for clamps and such, to slow the rate of rusting and reduce the time and frustration the next time you have to do this. Especially grease the exposed cable where the old one rusted and broke...

The pin at the other end (under the truck) was rusted in place, but a simple use of an old sledgehammer head with the hole over the pin as an "anvil" on top of it (with room to drive the pin into) and a hammer on the pin got that out.
Old post. Worth reviving. :P

I had read about driving the pin out - was like WTF, that doesn't make sense at all. I tried, and bent my punch without moving the pin. So, I searched again..ran into this. WAY easier.