1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Oct 1st

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Geist, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Oct 13, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    Geist

Geist [OP] Member

Member:
    To date: Tow package, soon LED light bar and LED turn signal side mirrors...
    Hey guys. Went in to buy out my '08 DoubleCab Tacoma at the end of the lease and ended up getting talked into a new 2011. I learned you get a wicked deal when you insist on keeping your original.

I loved and will really miss my old man, but this new guy.... *drooling*

My new 2011 next to my old friend, 2008. *sniffle*
    Oct2nd2010_88531ab20dc453e9601be280c54f1d9578df5fde.jpg

I'm an old member, but can't remember my old info. It's nice to be back! cool_040626ced6bc3b1732e0d80184cb096605fa03b9.gif

2. Oct 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    Welcome back!

3. Oct 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    Man I love both of 'em!! Gotta love Indigo Ink.

4. Oct 13, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    Ndanger

Ndanger Active Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x
    I have never leased before... It is something that I am curious about, could you share what a good deal is for a lease on a Tacoma?

5. Oct 13, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    Geist

Geist [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks, himmie. :)

Gr8WhiteTaco, Thx. I know I'll miss that beautiful look when the indigo ink was freshly polished!

Ndanger, my main interest was to have lowest payments possible for right now. Plan to buy him out at the end (if I don't get talked into a new one again) but I had 0=down they paid my last three and my first payment on my new truck. They took $400 off 7 year bumper to bumper coverage, free alarm, came with a tow package, back-up camera and only $259 a month. It's only 4X2 and no off-road, but I still think I had a good deal. I really wanted manual trans but they don't sell them in doublecab in socal. No complaints though, I love him!!!

6. Oct 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Welcome back and nice truck!

7. Oct 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Ndanger

Ndanger Active Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x
    Those are 2 colors that I can relate to... I just moved from a 05 Tacoma TRD (off road) PreRunner in Indigo Ink to an 08 Tacoma 4x that is the Silver color with the Sport TRD and hood scoop.

I like both colors and it is nice to try out silver this time around.

In the past I have tried to "pencil out" the lease thing and without a need for immediate tax write off instead of capitalizing the costs I was not able to make sense out of the cost of leasing.

I look constantly for a good deal on a Tacoma and it takes me 6 mo to a year to find a clean truck at a good price. What is with the high resale prices that people ask for their trucks? ps I look at most cities on CL from New Mexico to Seattle :)

8. Oct 15, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    Geist

Geist [OP] Member

Member:
    Ndanger, lease works best for me as it's always the lower monthly payment. I still put some $ by each month to go to pay-off in the end of the lease, but having that cash on hand makes me happier in case I need it. It's a shame they still don't make the indigo ink color. I'm going to miss messing with the auto guys when they ask what color the truck is... couldnt' bring myself to just say 'blue'. I agree on your feeling on silver too, already went through our first rain so it's filthy but 10 ft away it doesn't even look it.

TioTaco, thx and I feel you on the miles. That is the reason I had such a great deal though, only had 16,102 miles on my '08 + I keep heavy seat covers so the interior is always pristine (their eyes bulged as they new they could offer me a lot and still get their money back from the sale - my last trade-in sold the day after it was put in the lot) I work at home. My Tacoma is literally mostly toy.

Took him out for another drive through the locals mtns again this evening. The sat radio worked the entire way, don't think I'll keep it up after the 90 days though. I didn't have the luxury of the MP3 aux in my '08, ipod is enough for me. Nice to have the option though.

9. Oct 15, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    DAMN you really got suckered in :laugh:

Nice truck, old and new.

10. Oct 15, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    I had a lease on an FJ. It was the worst thing I have ever done. I wouldn't recommend it for anybody. The penalties they hit you with at the end of the lease make it not worth it and you don't even own the vehicle after you have paid it off. I ended up buying a new Tacoma (I wnated one anyway) just to use the FJ for a trade in to get out of the lease. Turns out they only gave me 11,000 for a trade in and I still owed another 5,000 to pay off the lease. Don't do it!

11. Oct 19, 2010 at 2:53 AM
    Geist

Geist [OP] Member

Member:
    joel0787, thanks man. biggrin_13b413ca5a973cfebc8c430177c0bc536f5c6843.gif cool_040626ced6bc3b1732e0d80184cb096605fa03b9.gif

cinch, whoa! What did you do to the vehicle??? Did you crank up the miles, ding the heck out of it and pour mud inside?? This is my sixth lease and they have never, ever brought up penalties. I had a couple scratches on one of the earlier ones, another was just over in mileage. Nothing. Leasing is the best way to go if you want low payments, but you must take care of it! What's that about not owning it after you have paid it off? That doesn't make sense.. If you pay it off it's yours.

12. Oct 20, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    cinch

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    I had a five year lease and actually traded it in after about three years so I still owed quite a bit on it. It also had over 80,000 miles on it as I drive quite a ways to work. I was told by the dealer when I leased it that once the lease was over I would have to pay any penalties for mileage, etc. and then If I wanted to keep the vehicle I would have to purchase it from them as a used car. I checked witha couple of dealers and they all said this was standard procedure. I thought that was a bunch of crap so I just got rid of it.

The vehicle was never abused, it was in very good shape except for the mileage and the odor of my dog who went everywhere with me.

By the way, I made a mistake when I said I still owed 5,000 to pay off the lease, It was actually about 3,500 dollars.

13. Oct 20, 2010 at 4:50 AM
    cinch

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    "If you pay it off it's yours". If that is so why would they make you pay penalties if they were going to give you the vehicle once you paid off the initial payments? If they give you the vehicle after the payment period if would just be a straight purchase and not a lease.

14. Oct 20, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    And why would you want a truck that took you 14 yrs to pay off because you got low payments and it took you twice as long.

It's called a "lease" as in "loaner". I understand you have the option on most leases to purchase the vehicle after your contract ends but why would you.
    Besides, most leases I have seen lately are pretty close to what a regular payment would be on a vehicle and your not bound by a contract saying you can only put 12000 miles or whatever on the vehicle per year.

The only advantage I see to leasing is I guess you dont have to pay for mechanical repairs and insurance? is that correct? Like "leasing" and apt.

just my .02

15. Oct 20, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    cinch

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:

I don,t know about most leases but I still had to pay for my own insurance and repairs/maintenance.

16. Oct 20, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Oh.. ouch. Thats even worse.

17. Oct 25, 2010 at 3:32 AM
    Geist

Geist [OP] Member

Member:
    Sounds like you answered that yourself on the penalties then. You signed a contract, you broke it with the excessive milage and your dog. Lease is still yours when paid off in the end if you stick to the contract. I have three big (but clean) dogs, but keep waterproof seat covers and double floor mats, clean often; can't even tell in the end, don't even use air fresheners. I guess it also depends on how lenient the dealer is and or if they want to make a sale or not. It's a shame they treated you badly not all dealerships are like that, mine certainly isn't.

I still have my '86 camry. 170,000 miles and still the first out of the gate on green. I go into a lease for the low payment, as I said before, I prefer more cash in my pocket each month.. always plan to buy in the end anyway. Toyotas keep going we all know that. No reason not to buy them at the end of a lease, unless you simply like driving new trucks -- or if you are offered sweet deals.

cinch has a crappy dealership. Not all are like that. I went over miles in one of my other leases and they didn't even mention it, too busy selling me a larger tacoma. To buy the payment would have been $499 a month, I am only paying $259 a month with my lease... There are good days to go in to buy or lease, depends on the given sale at the time.

And no. I don't have to pay for maintenance or repairs for the first few years of this lease. My first free oil change, tire rotation and inspection is next April. After that deal ends I still have the 7 yrs bumper-bumper which I received $400 off in the deal the night I bought him.

18. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    cinch

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    Actually, the lease was written as 5 years and a mileage allowance of 125,000 miles. The money I had to pay was just to pay off what I owed on the initial lease. I would have had to pay penalties only If I continued with the lease till the end. I still don't think you are given the vehicle after the lease period unless you pay extra to purchase it. It's a lease, not a sale. And I agree the dealership personnel are a bunch of A-holes. They don't care about the customer, only the money.

I'll bet the free maintenance was something you negotiated as part of the paid 7 year bumper to bumper.

19. Oct 25, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    weksos

weksos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MACKY
    CALIFORNIA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    FACTORY MODS
    welcome

20. Oct 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    Irish7

Irish7 Fire Captain

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4 LB
    Procomp 6" lift, Procomp 18 x 9.5 wheels with Nitto 33" Terra Grapplers. TRD Preformance Exhaust. Bully tailgate pad lock, Front Bed Factory D-rings.
    Nice truck, the ride is better then ever. I walked out with a 2011 DC sport 4x4 LB two weeks ago when I went in to just check out the Tundra. You should have gotten the Toyota 2 year, 25,000 free oil changes and full required maintenance from the dealership on your new ride along with the other deal makers.

Products Discussed in

To Top