LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

(Hopefully) Soon to be Tacoma Owner

Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
2000GM is on a distinguished road

2000GM's Tacoma Gallery
(Hopefully) Soon to be Tacoma Owner

Hello all. Just making the customary "First New Guy Post." I'm shopping around for a Double Cab 4X4 and have been lurking here a bit to learn.

My current truck is an '04 quad cab Ram SLT 4X4. At 78,000 miles it's starting to show its age a bit. Don't get me wrong it's been an awesome trouble free truck, it's just that I get doubtfull for some reason when I think of the future with it. I put a lot of miles quick on my vehicles and I'm hoping that by going with a Taco, when I'm done paying for it in 4 years and it has 120K or so on the clock it will still have plenty of trouble free life left in it. Plus, I almost never need a full size anyhow.

I think the smaller sportier feel of the Taco will be a welcome change. All I need is room to put my ATV (Honda 400EX) and home project materials in the bed, and my 2 boys (5 and 8) need a decent back seat.

Hopefully I come to a deal I like on what I want and will be participating more here. I joined another Taco forum the other day, but its atmosphere is just too nasty for my liking.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
The truck you're looking for is a great truck, but when test driving, be very aware of any vibrations at low speeds. Alot of us with quad cabs have noticed a very slight vibration at certain rpms or speeds. Good luck with your search and welcome to TW
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. I too came out of a Dodge, although I really didn't like that truck. The Taco was a definite trade up, much more fun to drive and so much cooler looking.

If you're going to be hauling an ATV I would wait for that long bed (referring to your other post).
Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 AM   #4

2000GM's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Like I said, the Ram has actually been a great truck. Neither my wife or myself ever really liked it that much though. My previous truck was an F-150 FX4 and we both loved it. Only reason I traded that in on the Ram was I wanted more power and a larger rear seat. The hemi is a great engine and it's great effortlessly crusing 80 mph at 2,000 rpm and taking long uphill grades like a diesel with no need to downshift, but it dives like a lumbering tugboat compared the the Ford.

I know some manage to haul bikes and ATVs in the regular bed, but I really like being able to close the tailgate behind it and therefore only needing one strap to tie down. There just doesn't seem to be a trustworthy way to strap in an ATV in a regular bed with the tailgate down. For short trips maybe, but I make 2 hour rides on the highway at 65-70 mph sometimes. The in-rail tie downs just don't impress me much. I'm sure they're fine for holding something straight down into the bed, but I don't know that I would trust them to hold an ATV not just down, but also from flying back out of the bed.

Bottom line is that I can think of multiple times when I'd say, "Damn, I wish I got that longbed!" I can't think of many situations where I'd say, "Damn, I wish I had got that shortbed!" I do like the looks of the shortbed better. It's more sporty. Other than that though it's the longbed for me.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
sak3358 is on a distinguished road

sak3358's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the group. Today I accept delivery of my TRD Sport, short bed. I live in the DC area and the long bed was just too big for my needs. Looking forward to doing a couple of mods once I get my grubby fingers on it. Know what you mean about the other forum...they have a 'tude of sorts.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
If you end up needing stronger tie downs at the front of the bed you can get the D-rings installed or DIY. I plan on getting some put in the floor near the cab. Here's a tread all about hauling bikes and how they did it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...not-trust.html
Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #7

2000GM's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, thank you. I've read many posts re: puting the tie-downs in up front. If I get the truck I will come up with something. Something substantially reinforced because i will want the truck to last me a long time, and I'd hate for any weakening of the bed material caused by it to surface and bit me in the butt a few years down the road.