Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New Kid on the Block

Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Bill
BillC2012 is on a distinguished road

BillC2012's Tacoma Gallery
New Kid on the Block

I bought my '05 4Runner new in May, '05. Been wanting a Tacoma for about a year. The changes in the '09 models have made the wait worthwhile.

Did some window shopping a month ago and was told by the salesman at a local dealer that the Double Cab was not available with a V-6 and 6-Speed manual transmission. Then he handed me a brochure with a photo of one with that configuration. Go figure... (I think this guy was a bit misinformed.)

One question: All the information I've read about the 2009 models state that the V-6 engine requires Premium Unleaded, 91-Octane fuel. Is there enough of a fuel economy difference to justify the 10 - 20 cent/gallon difference from Regular Unleaded?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Welcome. I can't comment on the gas, my L4 runs just fine on 87.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW
Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
hello and welcome to tee dubya
Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the site and yes the 4.0L will run fine on 87 octane. Just as an FYI the Auto gets better MPG than the 6-speed. (I have owned both)
Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Welcome to the forum.TW is loaded w/great info.But sadly not enough pics. U have any?? Get um up Been using 89 mid.No probs here.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
I was told the same thing about the Dbl cab, v6, manual; The dealer said they don't get them in my area. I went home and saw, online, that the same dealer had 2 in stock. I went back a few days later and drove the stick and auto. I bought the automatic.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Bill
BillC2012 is on a distinguished road

BillC2012's Tacoma Gallery
Just out of curiosity, Gene563, what was it about the manual that turned you off to it?

I personally just prefer a manual. Learned on a 3-speed column shift. I am surprised to learn that an automatic provides better fuel economy. I always held the theory that the direct connection provided by the clutch would slightly increase economy.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The manual has a long throw and seems to shift slowly, it also gets less miles per gallon than the Automatic. They do make a DC in a manual, they do not however make the dc long bed in an a manual. The auto gets better gas mileage due to taller gearing. Honestly, I love this transmission. I've never heard that you have to run anything higher than regular. I personally like to run higher grade gas when I can afford it.

Welcome to Tacoma World.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Welcome, lots of good info here.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=BillC2012;138897]Just out of curiosity, Gene563, what was it about the manual that turned you off to it?

Don't get me wrong, I liked driving the manual; I think they're more fun to drive. The 6 speed, though, seemed to take a while to get up to speed( although I wasn't winding it out either )...on the other hand the auto demo that I drove accelerated quite smoothly and when I punched it, took off like a rocket.
I also had to take into consideration that my wife will drive the truck occasionally. She knows how to drive a stick, but doesn't care to.

The automatic trans is pretty nice. You can shift it( somewhat ) manually in that, in the 4, 3, or 2 position, it will start in 1st, upshift, and hold at that gear...giving it the control similar to that of the manual.

I posted "New to the forum" with pictures of the truck if you'd care to see it.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome To Tacoma World! Post Pics