Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New guy from Alberta. No Taco yet though...

Old 08-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
little.one.der is on a distinguished road
little.one.der's Tacoma Gallery
Cool New guy from Alberta. No Taco yet though...

My name is Laurence. I'm an apprentice machinist. And I need a truck.

Currently drive an '06 Pontiac Wave and I am fed up with it. Engine had to be replaced at 23,000 km.

I know I want a Tacoma, second gen.

But there is something I can't decide. I don't know if I want 2WD or 4WD.

Do you guys have any pros and cons, or opinions about it?

I'm looking to get decent gas consumption numbers. And I would like to maybe tow a tent trailer or a sea-doo at some point in the future. Also, would the 2WD with proper winter tires and sand bags in the back be good enough for Alberta winters? The Wave was a joke, but it only had all-seasons. It was light enough that snow would pack under the engine tray and lift it off the ground.

I don't need the 4-door. Should I get the X-Runner?

I think I want an automatic. I am just kind of tired of shifting...

I'm not into jacking it up and putting mudders on it and going bogging... but I wouldn't be opposed to lowering it a couple inches. Getting more in touch with the pavement.

But yeah, going to figure out my finances this week and go and test drive one hopefully next week.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
If finances allow,get the exact truck you want.I was fortunate to be able to and don't have to worry about the.."I wish I'd have gotten....".Any Tacoma is a capable reliable machine,but I recommend setting your budget,set the options and pick a year that works.Alberta winters are a bitch,just like here on the East coast and it sure is nice to know your vehicle is up to whatever your needs are.The Canadian TRD model comes with a tow package,(oil cooler,tranny cooler,hitch,wiring etc.) so they are ready to haul everything on your list.

Good luck and welcome to TW.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
little.one.der is on a distinguished road
little.one.der's Tacoma Gallery
Pro tip: I'm moving to N.S. next fall, so I think 4x4 is the way to go.