Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New to the forum with a question:

Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Sportsphreek is on a distinguished road
Sportsphreek's Tacoma Gallery
New to the forum with a question:

Bought my 2010 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road in early June of this year. Absolutely love it, but I have a few question regarding some problems that I am having with it.
----------
The engine seems to have a bit of a knock to it. It just doesn't sound smooth. Seems to be more pronounced when the engine is under load (ie: Doesn't exhibit problem when revving in Neutral). (Edit: This may be the Tacoma Engine Tick everyone talks about)

The transmission forgets to shift sometime. Most of the time it is going downhill, but after accelerating it just doesn't shift. I'm just stuck in whatever gear it happens to be in until it decides to shift (Typically around the 3000RPM range)

There is a rattling/ringing/jingling coming from somewhere on the under carriage. Occurs at all times but is most noticeable when coasting at low speeds.

The vent fan has started squeaking when running.
---------

Additionally, I got the notice that my truck was eligible for that gas pedal override. I didn't end up getting it yet, but was wondering if there was any point in doing it.

Thanks so much!
-Kevin
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
mac360 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mac360's Tacoma Gallery
Additionally, I got the notice that my truck was eligible for that gas pedal override. I didn't end up getting it yet, but was wondering if there was any point in doing it.

All they did on mine was shave the corners.. Kinda pointless, but I guess it was needed..
Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsphreek View Post
Bought my 2010 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road in early June of this year. Absolutely love it, but I have a few question regarding some problems that I am having with it.
----------
The engine seems to have a bit of a knock to it. It just doesn't sound smooth. Seems to be more pronounced when the engine is under load (ie: Doesn't exhibit problem when revving in Neutral). (Edit: This may be the Tacoma Engine Tick everyone talks about)

The transmission forgets to shift sometime. Most of the time it is going downhill, but after accelerating it just doesn't shift. I'm just stuck in whatever gear it happens to be in until it decides to shift (Typically around the 3000RPM range)

There is a rattling/ringing/jingling coming from somewhere on the under carriage. Occurs at all times but is most noticeable when coasting at low speeds.

The vent fan has started squeaking when running.
---------

Thanks so much!
-Kevin
The engine ticking is normal. You will get to the point where you wont hear it.

The engine doesn't shift when you go downhill is also normal. This makes it so you don't have to stay on the brakes the entire time.

Cant help you with the noise underneath (I would have Toyota check it out under warranty)

The gas pedal recall also comes with a computer re-flash. You won't notice anything different with your truck. The only reason not to do this is if you plan on Supercharging your truck in the future.

Good luck with your new truck! And Welcome!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Sportsphreek is on a distinguished road
Sportsphreek's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Thank You!

I got the Gas Pedal flash (More importantly the ECU reflash) and I got the Rear Spring TSB. The back is probably about 1"-1.5" higher right now. Now I have to go the rest of the way and raise it =)

Thanks Ya'll!