Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Tacoma n00b - am I crazy?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Chris G is on a distinguished road
Chris G's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma n00b - am I crazy?

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the whole Tacoma/pickup scene. I most recently owned a Subaru STi and a MINI Cooper S. But, now I'm thinking of trading in my MINI for a 2011 Tacoma. However, I'm not sure which Tacoma I really want...

First off, please keep in mind that I live in SoCal and plan to do very little, if any, offroading. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Prerunner TRD Sport and Offroad. I've ran numerous searches and haven't found information that really steers me one way or the other. I like certain cosmetic things about the Sport and some things about the Offroad. I do like how the Offroad has a few Offroad type accessories, like the locker.

My question is, will I really kick myself if I end up getting a Sport versus the Offroad? Or vice versa? Like I mentioned, I will be doing very little offroad. Is the locker even worth it on a Prerunner? I do want something that would be okay to take offroad if I did. Anywho, before I ramble I'd like to hear some input. I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Thanks for your replies. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Merry Christmas and welcome to the wonderful world of Tacoma's!

I've owned 2, both Offroad TRD's, gen 1 and gen 2. Out of neccesity, living in the northeast and driving in all types of weather conditions, I need the 4x4 option. If I was spending my money again I would go with the TRD offroad. I hear you say you won't being doing much if any offroading and that's ok. I would want the peace of mine knowing I had the option to get through any weather that faced me. You never know when you have to track over mudslides, earthquake damage, etc. If your life depended on your truck getting you through something, I would want the TRD off road to get me through it.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Chris G's Tacoma Gallery
Based off of your post, do you think the 4x2 option would be sufficient? Seems like a lot of Californians are believers in 4x4's versus the Prerunner 4x2. Most of these people are folks that travel into the mountains in the winter, which I highly doubt I will be doing.

And thank you for the kind welcome
Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amir
sandman427's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Based off of your post, do you think the 4x2 option would be sufficient? Seems like a lot of Californians are believers in 4x4's versus the Prerunner 4x2. Most of these people are folks that travel into the mountains in the winter, which I highly doubt I will be doing.

And thank you for the kind welcome
welcome brotha... yea 4x4 would be a plus but if your choice was between the off road or sport... go with the off road model u will find that a locker will become very useful... u can always make your truck look like the sport... just look at Rays (iamrayzian) his was an off road that he completely transformed... this might be wired but do u go snow boarding..???
Old 12-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Chris G's Tacoma Gallery
I don't snowboard or ski - hard to believe since I moved to SoCal from Colorado. I haven't been skiing since I was a kid. That being said, I don't see myself venturing into the mountains or snow here.

4x4 is only out of the question because of the price tag and the fact I don't think I'd use it but maybe once a year.

While I'm still asking questions, is the DC worth it over the AC? I like the looks of both and am having a hard time deciding. I have no children and don't see myself driving more than just my lady and I around
Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I don't snowboard or ski - hard to believe since I moved to SoCal from Colorado. I haven't been skiing since I was a kid. That being said, I don't see myself venturing into the mountains or snow here.

4x4 is only out of the question because of the price tag and the fact I don't think I'd use it but maybe once a year.

While I'm still asking questions, is the DC worth it over the AC? I like the looks of both and am having a hard time deciding. I have no children and don't see myself driving more than just my lady and I around
for sure brotha... thats why i ask.. i agree with everyone that 4x4 is superior but if u cant get one and its only 2wheel i would get a the off road... i snowboard every once in a while.. and i just slap on some chains and call it a day... but between the AC or DC... thats i up to u... i love my DC....
Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Chris G's Tacoma Gallery
Amir, I'm assuming you have a Prerunner then?

Edit: Saw your info - doh!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
KR FAB

Quote:
Amir, I'm assuming you have a Prerunner then?
u are correct but i just recently got regeared and installed an ARB air locker... an having a 2wd locked makes it that much more capable... now im not saying its 4x4... but now u can play harder and get into more places.... i would want to change to a 4x4 but this truck is payed off and it would be more head ache and hassle for me to switch... and i have a freakin blast in my truck...
Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Chris G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
I would go with the dc trd offroad tacoma the four dour is just nice for the extra room
Noted. That's how I was feeling, too.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the TRD offroad for those times when things go bump in the night. I have an AC and wish I got the DC because of the extra room.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Chris G's Tacoma Gallery
I'll bring up another question I had - how do you guys feel about buying used? I've found several used in my area (07+). This may help with expanding what I can afford and want.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
KR FAB

Quote:
I'll bring up another question I had - how do you guys feel about buying used? I've found several used in my area (07+). This may help with expanding what I can afford and want.
if its in good shape and clean title... i would SAY HELL YEA!!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
B A N N E D
stevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: steven
stevenstaco's Tacoma Gallery
i bought mine with 100k miles on it not worried at all the last toyota(4runner) i bought had 130k never had a problem in 5 yrs people dont just say it toyotas are good vehicles
Old 12-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
07 sport 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
ive got a sport double cab and i cant complain
Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
just grabbin gears
scrappletaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 779th Med Group
Name: Josh
scrappletaco's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason i bought a reg cab 4x4 is that i was broke and needed 4x4 for winter. If you don't think you need 4x4 buy a prerunner offroad for the locker in DC for the room. Never know when you might need the extra room. I had a 09 5 lug with a ready lift and bfg at's and it went most places it shouldn't have been. Just plan ahead buying and take your time so you don't end up wishing you had the options of the other models because you settled for something you didn't really want.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #19
Chris G's Tacoma Gallery
Nice to know I won't be a poser with a 2wd Offroad with the locker