1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco owner wannabe

Discussion in 'New Members' started by thommes, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Dec 28, 2010 at 3:30 AM
    thommes

thommes [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Central OH
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe
    Hello all,

I was looking around to buy a truck before end of year. It will be my first truck. Did some research and thinking of getting a taco. My 01 Prius died last night so now instead of wanting to get a new vehicle, I need to. :mad:

My uses for the truck will be towing a boat, going camping (tent), hauling bikes to bike paths and the more than occasional need of going to the hardware store for home improvement project material.

Looking at what is available with the tacos, the Prerunner double cab v6 should fit the bill. The SR5 package would have enough conveniences for me. I'm not the offroad type so the 4X4 would be overkill for me. Looking around, this configuration does not appear to be overly stocked by dealers. :mad: Anyone have ideas of other configs that would work out similar to what I described? The 4x4 adds a ton to the bottom line as well. Trying to get a truck for lower 20's. I'm also considering the Nissan Frontier, so if any of you have compared the two trucks and have some opinions to share, Imma listening... I've read a few things here that I didn't know, like the bumpers rusting within months... and with all the problems Toyota has had in the last year, I have concerns.

Thanks!
    Thomas

2. Dec 28, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    welcome

in central ohio, i would want 4x4 because of the driving conditions in the winter. you should be able to find a used base or SR5 4x4 double cab for low 20s i would imagine. possibly a prerunner in high teens/low 20s. mileage will probably be the contributing factor to the low price though.

3. Dec 28, 2010 at 4:03 AM
    08chocotaco

08chocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TAYLOR
    San Diego/Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver TRD Sport
    No current modifications
    the off road package would actually be the best deal for you i feel. the off road package is 2 wheel drive, with an option to make all 4 spin together. the sport package is the 4x4 so if you dont want that then stay away from sport. also if you want bikes, i probably prefer you the access cab which comes with a longer bed then the double car with the regular bed, youd for sure probably need the long bed double cab at that point, but thats the top of the line tacoma. in the end, id prefer you to look for an access cab, off road package tacoma with as low of miles as possible years 2005-2011. you can probably get an earlier 2010 with like 15000 miles for low 20's, but i havent looked:)

taylor

4. Dec 28, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    welcome. x2 on the 4wd. You will be happy that you have it next time you get a foot of snow.

5. Dec 28, 2010 at 4:16 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    umm...the offroad and sport both come in 2wd or 4wd. the only "option to make all 4 spin together" is the 09+ offroad w/ ATRAC and there's no way to get that for low 20s.

6. Dec 28, 2010 at 4:46 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    :confused:

X1

If you live where you get snow every year, I would consider 4x4. I would suggest a Prerunner over a non-Prerunner for the ground clearance and suspension upgrades.

7. Dec 29, 2010 at 1:20 AM
    08chocotaco

Member:
    First Name:
    TAYLOR
    San Diego/Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver TRD Sport
    No current modifications
    I know you can get them both but ive personally never even seen a sport 4x2 and i was talking about the limited slip which to be honest i thought it went to all four wheels.. My bad, for being misinformed, but thats why youre a member on a forum to learn and stand corrected right? : )

8. Dec 29, 2010 at 1:42 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Yes, you are right !!

Now get your shit together with the facts before posting again dude, your making San DYeglo louk stoopid TEYLAR !!

:D j/k buddy:D

9. Dec 29, 2010 at 1:56 AM
    08chocotaco

Member:
    First Name:
    TAYLOR
    San Diego/Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver TRD Sport
    No current modifications

Hey man, watch yo shit! haha just kidding. but thats why im new here haha! once i get up to 2500 posts(edit 2800 posts. dont mean to undermine your hard earned posts;)) or whatever like you have, ill be knowledgeable enough to make San Diego look smarter then any city on the map! but hey, like i said, gotta start somewhere:) but at least im not some snotty kid that isnt open to correcting my mistakes, just trying to give some help to anothu memba

10. Dec 29, 2010 at 2:20 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Just joking & bustin' yer balls a little bro' , I don't need your help making SD look dumb, I do that all by myself... :D:D

That 2800 (or whatever it is) post don't mean squat really, just shows I got waaaay too much time on my hands bro' , don't take me seriously till we hit a trail Taylor & seeing how your in San Diego it won't be too long before you join the "legion of the damned' on a run to Corral canyon, Ocotillo, etc;

You just keep doing what your doing & you'll be fine buddy, I like your attitude though, wish we had more like you , I have seen you , A: start a thread for hosting a trail run ( I still haven't really done this yet ) & try to help another member out, that makes you aces in my book....

11. Dec 29, 2010 at 2:35 AM
    08chocotaco

Member:
    First Name:
    TAYLOR
    San Diego/Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver TRD Sport
    No current modifications
    Hey thanks man i appreciate that!: ) 2800 posts shows a lot of spread knowledge in my opinion, especially on a forum haha. But i just want to go out and have fun on trails and meet some new guys that have interests in cool trucks like this, and shoot the shit you know? Im a huge car guy and helping people out that have common interests and learning about stuff is all in good nature. Looking forward to froadin with you maannn!(bro voice) haha

EDIT: ps, sorry for the thread jack thommes:)

Products Discussed in

To Top