Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Conventional Oil or Synthetic oil ??? what should I use ???

Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Uncelou1980 is on a distinguished road
Uncelou1980's Tacoma Gallery
Conventional Oil or Synthetic oil ??? what should I use ???

Hello everybody !!!!!

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner 2WD and it only has 42560 miles ... I bought it brand new and ever since then i have always used conventional oil for every oil change ( I do it every 4000 miles ) ,, i only drive my truck from my house to work and on weekends a drive it to go out to the mall and other places ...i just used for normal driving ,, nothing crazy ...

Should i change to synthetic oil ( Mobil 1 , Castrol Synthec, etc. ) our should I continue using conventional oil ????

Thans for the help .....

Uncelou1980
Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
give it the good stuff. synthetic!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
do a simple search and you will find lots of threads about this...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=1893918
Old 01-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethr21785 View Post
do a simple search and you will find lots of threads about this...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=1893918
x2

But use Synthetic...Mobile 1
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
BartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of light
BartStar's Tacoma Gallery
No,, I do not recommend to switch to synthetic after high mileage
You're wasting your money cause the engine is already worn and the perpose of using synthetic is "0" engine wear
synthetic is a much smaller molecule and switching to it may cause oil leaks
synthetic has added extreme high detergent chemicals that will clean out the inside parts of your engine, and may get into the mains or rod bearings and may or may not cause problems or lack of oil pressure.

The proper way of using a full synthetic is start with a new engine, wait till the engine breaks in (around 10-20K miles) then switch to the synthetic and have "0" internal engine wear for the life of the engine
Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStar View Post
You're wasting your money cause the engine is already worn and the perpose of using synthetic is "0" engine wear
synthetic has added extreme high detergent chemicals that will clean out the inside parts of your engine, and may get into the mains or rod bearings and may or may not cause problems or lack of oil pressure.

The proper way of using a full synthetic is start with a new engine, wait till the engine breaks in (around 10-20K miles) then switch to the synthetic and have "0" internal engine wear for the life of the engine

hey buddy thanks for your info and your help ,,, i will continue using conventional oil until the car is worth nothing .... anyway is a 2006 model and it only has like around 43000 , not bad right for a 2006 model ...
Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
i would switch. i made the switch at 75,000 on my 2006. most anybody here will tell you to run synthetic no matter the mileage
Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
i would switch. i made the switch at 75,000 on my 2006. most anybody here will tell you to run synthetic no matter the mileage

What brand of synthetic Oil would be the best one for my 2006 Tacoma , Mobil 1 ??? Royal Purple ??? or Castrol Synthec ?????

Thanks for the help ????
Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
amsoil what.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What the hell are you talking about?! The truck has less than 43k.You call that high mileage?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

take all the information you read in this post and forget it! you can switch to synthentic and back to conventianal at any milage. it is not going to cause and leaking problems or any other problems..
Old 01-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
take all the information you read in this post and forget it! you can switch to synthentic and back to conventianal at any milage. it is not going to cause and leaking problems or any other problems..
X2
Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
BartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of light
BartStar's Tacoma Gallery
Just trying to use common sence, why pay $10 a quart for synthetic when it doesn't improve anything?
The number 1 reason for using a full synthetic is "0" internal engine wear
If the internal engine is already worn then synthetic won't help

I am a big believer in a full synthetic, I have been using it since 1996, BUT you have to use it the right way, use it on a new, or rebuilt engine, right after the engine is broken in.
When an engine is new its tight and its expected to loosen up and break in, you find this out after a sudden increase in fuel mileage, then thats the right time to switch to a full synthetic and the engine stopps wear, from now on you get NO "0" internal wear.
I have seen too many people in the past make the mistake of switching to a full synthetic after high mileage and they experienced major engine oil leaks, exhaust smoking, poor perfomance, not saying this will happen to everybody, but I wouldn't take the chance!
You need to understand the difference between a conventional oil and a synthetic oil, I explained that in another post.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #15
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncelou1980 View Post
Hello everybody !!!!!

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner 2WD and it only has 42560 miles ... I bought it brand new and ever since then i have always used conventional oil for every oil change ( I do it every 4000 miles ) ,, i only drive my truck from my house to work and on weekends a drive it to go out to the mall and other places ...i just used for normal driving ,, nothing crazy ...

Should i change to synthetic oil ( Mobil 1 , Castrol Synthec, etc. ) our should I continue using conventional oil ????

Thans for the help .....

Uncelou1980
You should be fine continuing on with Dino.....save yourself some money..
Old 01-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You may get away with switching between petroleum based & synthetic lubes, but I wouldn't go switching 1 synth. for another, remember its NOT PETROLEUM !! Some of those exotic syn blends have some wierd properties & react badly to other exotic syns, which gets acidic, I don't have to go further to tell you what happens... just my $.02
Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #17
moe1967 is on a distinguished road
moe1967's Tacoma Gallery
Just made the switch to synthetic on my 04 4Runner with 67K miles. I can tell you that my engine seems to run smoother and quieter. Have not notice any leaks thus far.

Let it be known that before the switch I religiously change the oil every 3K. My impression was that if an engine has been well maintained it is OK to switched to synthetic at anytime.
Also, with the price of dino oil on the rise, why not start using synthetic and change every 5K. Overall, the price is about the same-at least in my situation it is.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #18
Jraugust will become famous soon enough
Name: Jeremie
Jraugust's Tacoma Gallery
Ive always been a firm believer, if you treat your truck right it will treat you right! synthetic!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #19
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
J
I have seen too many people in the past make the mistake of switching to a full synthetic after high mileage and they experienced major engine oil leaks, exhaust smoking, poor perfomance, not saying this will happen to everybody, but I wouldn't take the chance!
The oil debate will go on and on and on.........

Yes Syn will clean your engine.
46K is not High miles.......
SYn will not sludge like Dyno oil..
You can run SYn or Dyno oil to the Manufacturers recommended change interval, unless it is heavy use, then follow their intervals for that.
Dyno should be changed every 6 mo's or at miles. Reason being is it becomes acidic with time due to its very nature.
SYn can run the mileage regardless of time. It will not become acidic over time

People who have problems when they switch are usually the ones that have not done regular oil changes when using dyno and have sludging and excessive wear due to poor oil quality over a long period of time. When they put syn in it does clean the built up crap out, and the engine may exhibit some of the symptoms listed above.

On the other hand; If you have been doing regular maintenance there should be a nice clean engine to put SYn oil into with no ill effects.

I started using Syn oil in my old 85 Jetta with 300K+ mile on it. I did regular maintenance always. There was no change in oil consumption, leaking, etc.. In fact the SYN oil with all its additives seemed to help the old seals on that motor and there was less dripping, although there was not much to begin with.

Do your homework, make your own well informed decision, and drive happy.

Paul
Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!!!