Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

NewB with a few questions

Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
dave408 is on a distinguished road
dave408's Tacoma Gallery
NewB with a few questions

Hi guys,

I dont have a tacoma yet, but i wanted to ask a few things before i commit. I didnt do this last time and purchased a vehicle with known tranny issues and electrical nightmares. BUT.... I totaled my Acura TL on Xmas day and now im looking to pick up anything between a 2008-2010 w/ under 50k miles.

1-I wanted to know what kind of known issues are you guys dealing with on those model Tacomas?(08-10)

2-What is the difference in servicing a 2WD and a 4WD?

3- how often do you need to flush tranny fluid?
4- are there any tranny issues?(automatic)

5- how much can should i pay for such a model?
ex)
2008 or 2009 or 2010
4wd automatic
double cab
TRD Sport Pkg, SR5

6- anything you guys wanna tell me?

Your advice is appreciated, Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Going nowhere as fast as possible
imtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: I forgot
imtwistd's Tacoma Gallery
First off A double cab is going to run $29K to $33K depending on the options and if you buy new. Services are basically the same 2wd and 4wd execpt you'll pay more for the diff flush with 4wd. The auto trannys dont need to be flushed until 100.000 miles because the special fluid toyota uses in all their vehicles and you can only get the fluid from toyota. Other than that there really isnt any other major problems with the tacos. I've had mine for 3yrs and I havent had any problems even with the mods. So I hope this helps.

All my mods:
TRD supercharger
URD CAI
URD offroad y-pipe
Flexalite electric fan
Doug Thorley LT headers
Banks 3" Catback
Unichip power chip
Procomp 3" lift
Old 01-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
with 4wd you need to maintain axls and cv boots also
Old 01-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Tennessee Member
Jeremy92 has a spectacular aura aboutJeremy92 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeremy
Jeremy92's Tacoma Gallery
Now I am no expert but here is my opinon on your situation.
As far as price you are gonna be paying a lot of money on high quility truck. I wouldn't recommend get one used although they are great trucks you are still gonna pay 20k+ for a used tacoma if you can even find one with 50k on it. I found this out when I got mine 3 years ago. I would personally get a new one. As far as your a 4 vs 2 wheel drive. If you don't need it don't get it, but if your are an off roader you make an easy decision then. If you plan to lift your truck or do heavy hualing and you buy it new, make the dealership perform the rear suspension TSB, before perchase. You are putting a lot of money into something don't skip out on something you want or need just cuz it cost alittle bit more in the long run you will be happy you have it.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
pekosROB is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
pekosROB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to pekosROB
New to the Forums, but not to Tacos

I've had my 2005 since Feb 05. I have a little over 84,000 miles on her. I have the V6, double cab, 6-MT, 4WD, SR5 package #3 (I think). I switched out the stereo and put in a Borla exhaust.

What have been my problems? Really only one major issue - my rear differential went out - that cost around $1,800 I think to replace, if not around $2 grand.

The only minor issues I've had is I've already replaced the brakes and the new ones are kinda starting to squeak. My old 4Runner ran through brakes and rotors like there was no tomorrow. It's not like I just slam on them all the time either.

Also I have the steering wheel flutter issue, but I don't think that's an issue anymore with newer models. Something squeals a little bit under the hood and if I just barely tap the clutch it'll stop it... kind of annoying but whatever.

Overall, they're good vehicles. You might have something go wrong, but a lot of people seem to not have any issues. One thing is for sure: the A/C, heater, headlamps - those sort of things seem to NEVER break or fail on me.

Now watch the truck not start when I leave the house in a few minutes...