1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Prospective Owner from Western PA

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mattygabe, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Jan 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    mattygabe

mattygabe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    Hello all,

I joined yesterday after spending some time browsing the forums.

I am not currently a Taco owner, but I have made up my mind from early on once I decided I was going to purchase a new vehicle, that the new vehicle would be a 2nd gen Taco.

I'm still trying to nail down what options are most important to me, because the Tacomas that will be available to me locally will be slim, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what my usage should be:

• Light hauling - nothing really big, but large objects from home improvement stores, groceries every two weeks, things that generally a sedan is worthless at.
    • Light towing - I'll be getting a 2-person flat-bottom aluminum boat that I'd like to take out on the local lake, and a Tacoma would be perfect.
    • Daily driver - I drive about 40 minutes to and from work every day, so it's going to have to be efficient, hence why I knew from day 1 it couldn't be a full-size pickup.
    • Good traction - I won't be doing any extraneous off-roading-for-fun stuff (maybe here and there if the moment strikes), but around here (middle of Western PA) the weather and roads suck occasionally, and I'd like to be able to get places without spinning out. Limited slip seems like it may be best of all worlds here for me, but we'll see. I've been trying to read up on that.
    So, yes. There's my shopping list in a nutshell. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of all the options out there when I finally hit the truck lots.

By the way, this will be my first Yote, first non-domestic car. Started driving a 1986 1/2 ton Chevy Scottsdale (305ci V8), then bought a 1995 Dodge Intrepid (3.3L V6), and then was graciously given the 1998 Ford Taurus (3.0L Duratec V6) that I drive now. All three vehicles have treated and continue to treat me very well, and I am very pleased with, but the Taurus has more than served its purpose and I'd like to upgrade before it devalues too much more (already put 136k on it, and it can likely go at least another 50k).

Your thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome!

I look forward to meeting all of 'ya!

2. Jan 29, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Welcome to TW from TX.

3. Jan 30, 2011 at 1:41 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Greetings from Central PA, hey, how yunzs guys doing, Steelers ar going to the win the Super Bowl!
    I just traded in my 2011 Ford F250 for a 2011 Tacoma DC, and my big truck owner friends think I need a straight jacket and put into the mental hospital.
    I got the Tacoma cause the F250 was too big, and sucked gas like crazy, and I beleive gas prices are soon heading up past $4 gal
    I am already saving 40% on gas and my monthly payment is $200 less
    I like money, I like saving money, and you will save money with the Tacoma instead of owning a full size pickup.
    I am getting picked on and harrassed by my big truck, hemi friends and I have a big shitty grin on my face cause I love my Tacoma and at the same time knowing my friends will suffer paying more for gas.

4. Jan 30, 2011 at 1:51 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    Awesome! welcome to TW!

I too am from Western PA. bout 40 minutes north of pittsburgh. (in VA beach for the military)

5. Jan 30, 2011 at 3:35 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I meet and greet a lot of people that come to our area from different parts of the country and they all say our central and western PA area is a shithole and they can't understand how anybody could live here, ha ha,, but we love it here!

6. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    jonny01blaze

jonny01blaze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    PA
    Welcome! You won't go wrong with the Tacoma. Amazingly enough these trucks are great in the inclimenting weather of Western PA. I have yet to actually use 4wd in the snow, I've used it more in the summer months with my business to drop off debris at my dump site. Best of luck on your venture!

7. Jan 30, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    welcome from ny

8. Jan 30, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    tim455

tim455 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Sharon,Pa
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 in Barcellona Red
    Tinted windows/Borla Cat-back/K&N CAI filter/ /all bulbs LED/G-Force chip//TRD skid plate/Daystar 9130 lift kit,Truxedo Lo-Pro cover,Weather Tech Mats and vent visors, N-Fab Step bars,Scan guage.Sony stereo/Redline hood struts/EBC slotted rotors and green stuff pads/Truxedo LoPro Tonno/Rigid light bar behind Grillcraft Grill./Helo wheels with Michlin tires
    Welcome From Sharon,PA. You will never regret buying a TACO.

9. Jan 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    mattygabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Awesome, you're probably just a little south of me here in New Castle, or probably right in there.

Anxiously waiting for the Superbowl to get here, too!

I second that. I love the area, and not just because our families are from around here. Great place to live!

Thanks! The weather hasn't been all that bad in recent years here, so that's good, but a recent episode with borrowing a family member's 2WD Sonoma had me re-thinking what type of drivetrain my Taco will have - the damn thing would lose traction on a racetrack!

10. Jan 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Greetings from Lancaster County, PA!

I'd say....you'd definately want 4X4
    All the tacomas have the AUTO LSD which, I'm not exactly sure how that works in PA snow. My truck has the mechanical LSD and you can't get that anymore.

Are you overly concerned about gas mileage? If yes.....look at the 4 cylinders.
    If no....then definately get the V6.
    V6 with the tow package gets 6500lb tow rating.

Since you don't need any major offroading capabilities...you don't really 'need' the locker. The locker is only usable in 4lo range (from factory). So, if you don't plan on using 4lo often......then probably not a good idea to get it.
    Boat ramps? Maybe you'll need 4lo and a locker for slippery boat ramps?

11. Jan 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    mattygabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Thanks!

I've heard that all new Tacos have the auto limited slip. Is that 2011's only? It's quite possible that instead of buying brand new, I'll get a low mileage 10 or 09, depending on what's available to me in the area. Do the 09s and 10s have the mechanical LSD, and if so are there required option packages for that?

Gas mileage is somewhat of a concern, just because 95% of the time the Taco will be serving commute duties for me, 40 minutes of highway work every morning and evening. I'd prefer the 4-cylinder, but if I find a good deal on a 6, I can't say I'll hesitate.

That's what I was wondering. The 4x4 is something that I definitely would prefer just for a little more confidence, but i've heard it definitely kills the MPGs by about 3-5 overall, which isn't too pleasing. Plus, from what I've seen the 4x4 seems to only be available in limited configurations, mostly with the V6s and with access and double cabs (definitely only want a reg or access cab, no need for a dbl cab).

So, that's kind of what i'm wondering now, as to what packages I should be looking for, and with certain configs what options I can and can't get.

Hmm. Beside the search bar, anyone aware of a good thread or site that outlines the package offerings in a checkmark-type grid with all options?

12. Jan 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Welcome from Wilkes-Barre PA, a possible option may be to wait for a 3rd gen, not sure if it was mentioned above.

13. Jan 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able

14. Jan 30, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    Welcome from York, PA. All I can say is that you will be a proud owner and fan of the toyota world once you cross that line. I have had an 85' and two 87's toyota PU in my life and only once purchased a Chevy, which I regret. And now have an 09' tacoma. Oh and hopefully me and a few other people will see you at a meet and greet. Good Luck

15. Jan 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    mattygabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5

16. Jan 30, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able

17. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    mattygabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5

18. Jan 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Have you tried the Toyota site?
    Lots of information of whats' available, etc.
    http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/

I'm pretty sure the Auto LSD began in 09.

With the newer trucks, you can always have an aftermarket LSD installed if you wanted to.

19. Jan 31, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    tim455

tim455 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Sharon,Pa
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 in Barcellona Red
    Tinted windows/Borla Cat-back/K&N CAI filter/ /all bulbs LED/G-Force chip//TRD skid plate/Daystar 9130 lift kit,Truxedo Lo-Pro cover,Weather Tech Mats and vent visors, N-Fab Step bars,Scan guage.Sony stereo/Redline hood struts/EBC slotted rotors and green stuff pads/Truxedo LoPro Tonno/Rigid light bar behind Grillcraft Grill./Helo wheels with Michlin tires
    OK So everyone talks about gettin together in western Pa. or even in Pa in general... LETS PLAN IT!!!! I'm game and will held with plans, but I'm not gonna do it by myself!!! LETS TALK.

Products Discussed in

To Top