Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New-to-me Tacoma and looking to learn

Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
pwlk is on a distinguished road

Navy: ENS
pwlk's Tacoma Gallery
New-to-me Tacoma and looking to learn

Hello - The notices banner was making me feel guilty that I hadn't posted an introduction yet, so here we go.

Bought an Silver '08 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 a few weeks back down here in TX. I had a little 95 Honda Civic before that almost made it to 300K miles, but was apparently not meant to be. The goal was to find a pickup with the double cab (for eventual car seats) that was as reliable as they could come. Love the truck so far and hope it lasts for many years to come.

I don't know too much about cars/trucks and would love to learn some so I can do something as simple as changing my own oil. I actually found the site while searching for a way to get the horn to beep when I lock the car from the remote and have since found a whole lot of fun projects that I'll have to put on my to do list.

It seems as though this forum is very busy with lots of traffic, which is great. Not sure to what capacity I'll be posting, though, but thanks for making an awesome resource!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
izquik72 is on a distinguished road

Marines:
izquik72's Tacoma Gallery
Wipe your feet and come on in.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by izquik72 View Post
Wipe your feet and come on in.
Up here we take our shoes off at the door , but either way , come in.

Welcome
Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome, There are many tools on this site that you can use to help you along. There is a nice "do it yourself" thread on here in regards to changing oil. Please read it...Because the transmission pan bolt is very close by and you certainly don't want to be that guy.

Just type in Oil Change on the search button and you can spend hours of your day reading.

Good Luck.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from College Station.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Radio Operator
Name: Papa Tac
Papa Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Supplicate yourself before the right people and Enjoy.
And ignore the search button, its only for looks...
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Hamwi Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Hani
Hamwi Taco's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to TW
Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
ToyTank is on a distinguished road

Name: Anton
ToyTank's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from Houston TX.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
Boss 302 is on a distinguished road
Boss 302's Tacoma Gallery
pwlk welcome aboard, I am also a newbie here and I would also like to know if there is a way to make the horn beep when using door lock key fob. Not sure it was designed to beep the horn but almost any vehicle I ever seen beeps except my 2008 Tacoma. Thanks in advance!!! Mike
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard from Houston metro area............
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. There is a LOT of info here and if you are not careful, you can spend all of your disposable income on your Taco!!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from our oil soaked beaches
Attached Thumbnails
New-to-me Tacoma and looking to learn-images.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
pwlk is on a distinguished road

Navy: ENS
pwlk's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
Welcome, There are many tools on this site that you can use to help you along. There is a nice "do it yourself" thread on here in regards to changing oil. Please read it...Because the transmission pan bolt is very close by and you certainly don't want to be that guy.

Just type in Oil Change on the search button and you can spend hours of your day reading.

Good Luck.
I'll check it out when the time comes closer. Still living in a hotel with the recent PCS and I don't even want to think about it with the cold weather San Antonio is getting right now. Ready to get a driveway ... and a couch for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tac View Post
Welcome to TW!
Supplicate yourself before the right people and Enjoy.
And ignore the search button, its only for looks...
Noted, watch out for advice from Papa Tac, hah. I've been a member of enough forums to know using the search button is nothing but trouble. Typically it is best to just start a new thread for anything I want to know really quick and harass the help on topics I really know nothing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
pwlk welcome aboard, I am also a newbie here and I would also like to know if there is a way to make the horn beep when using door lock key fob. Not sure it was designed to beep the horn but almost any vehicle I ever seen beeps except my 2008 Tacoma. Thanks in advance!!! Mike
Just from a very brief search it looks like you can get a kit for cheap (<$20) but it beeps when the hazards flash? Eh, I need to do more research. The "coolest" DIY that I've seen so far is lights in the truck bed. Some of those are really snazzy.