Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Jeep Convert

Old 03-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
riderrace is on a distinguished road
Name: Ty
riderrace's Tacoma Gallery
Jeep Convert

...well not really. If I had it my way (as in not a poor college student) I would have both. I had a lifted YJ that was my baby, but unfortunately more of a money pit than anything.

Anyhow, I've been a Tacoma owner for quite a while, and have been enjoying the ride and the decent fuel mileage. It's a 99 TRD, 3.4L, manual, etc. First mod was the stereo and a custom fit sub box behind the drivers seat. I'm happy with it.

Just been looking around for (future) lift options, and common modifications. I'm going to school for mechanical engineering and really do enjoy optimizing and having fun with my truck.

BTW, has anyone figured out how to enjoy the topper benefits, and still get a dirt bike in the back? Haha, just messin.

Thanks for reading,
Ty
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Japanese
Engineering
Eventually
Prevails

welcome lol
Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
Japanese
Engineering
Eventually
Prevails

welcome lol

welcome !! I'm not a fan of Canopy's, my advice, dont use em
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Fenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fenrisulfr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Japanese
Engineering
Eventually
Prevails

welcome lol
Just Eats Every Penny too
Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
for a budget lift you can go wrong with a toytec AAL and a set of bilstein 5100s all around with eibach coils in front.. then youll have enough money for some nice tires
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Welcome, from another ME student.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Quote:
for a budget lift you can go wrong with a toytec AAL and a set of bilstein 5100s all around with eibach coils in front.. then youll have enough money for some nice tires
You can go wrong? Haha, it's definitely the cheap way to do it for a Tacoma.

What are the negative effects from doing larger coils up front on the IFS? Camber/tire wear issues? I really only have experience with leaf-sprung solid front axles...

And thank you all for the warm welcome.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #9

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Lol my bad.. I'm posting from my phone so cut me some slack lol anyways id hit up the search for those items I listed and you'll dig up a ton of info.. and the only thing you'll have wrong if you go the 3" eibach coil route is a goofy camber but its tolerable and keep an eye out for a good sale or used UCA's to fix that but you can lift the front 3" and level the rear and do several other mods for less than 1k
Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Thanks for the head start on the research, BFA. By no means will the lift occur soon, as I'm a broke college student, but it'll get me motivated to put in some real labor this summer.

The AAL is a super easy mod too... I lifted the saggy ass on my old 91 Yota pickup with a set of those. Damn thing had 450k before someone totaled it for me about 3 years ago. I still miss that thing.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome -from a former lifted YJ owner myself (sold it 2 years ago).

I miss the jeep, the people, and the wheelin. But since - most of the people we wheeled have moved on.....and things just weren't the same anymore.

You'll enjoy it here!!