Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New 2011 Tacoma!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
gwai lo is on a distinguished road
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
New 2011 Tacoma!

What's happening TW?

Picked up my Tacoma on February 20, 2011 and finally posting up some pics. It's a 2011 Magnetic Grey TRD Sport PreRunner. I've only done a couple things to the truck so far which are plasti-dipped the side and rear emblems and added some Westin nerf bars. Hope you enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
New 2011 Tacoma!-corner.jpg   New 2011 Tacoma!-side.jpg   New 2011 Tacoma!-rear.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from Ohio.

Could I ask for some info on the plasti-dip process on the badges?

Did you pull them and then 3M tape them back on?

Or another process?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
The old ride.

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

This is what I'm coming from. I miss the Z but it was getting a bit unpractical. The transition has been great so far.
Attached Thumbnails
New 2011 Tacoma!-front-corner.jpg   New 2011 Tacoma!-side-shot.jpg   New 2011 Tacoma!-front-shot.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
Welcome from Ohio.

Could I ask for some info on the plasti-dip process on the badges?

Did you pull them and then 3M tape them back on?

Or another process?
No need to pull the badges off the car. Just clean the badges and surrounding area you are gonna spray. Tape newspaper leaving a rectangle with about 1" borders around the emblems. Spray on the plasti dip as if you are spraying on spray paint. I put around 5 coats on (about 20 minutes in between coats). Make sure you get enough coats on because you want the plasti dip nice and strong when you pull off the edges. If you don't have enough coats it will break apart while you are pulling off the edges and will leave some residue in the hard to reach corners that will be hard to get out. Wait about 1.5 hours after the last coat for the plasti dip to dry. Pull off the newspaper and tape. Then start pulling off the edges of the plasti dip. It should come off easy from the paint and break away cleanly at the edges of the emblems.

Don't worry. It wont stick to your paint nor will it harm it. Just make sure you clean the surrounding area pretty well so it's nice and smooth. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
just realized u bought it near ma house...haha...when i was lookin for one, they didnt have a double cab long bed D:... soo i had to go to long beach... anywhoe.. i like the black badge look.. did you clear out the O's and the As and the e's and the 6 and P?? from the looks of the pic, it doesnt look like u gutted the insides of those characters
Old 03-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-required.html

Here's a good DIY from clublexus.com that I used the first time I used plasti dip. Hope this could be of use for anyone who wants to black out their emblems.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
just realized u bought it near ma house...haha...when i was lookin for one, they didnt have a double cab long bed D:... soo i had to go to long beach... anywhoe.. i like the black badge look.. did you clear out the O's and the As and the e's and the 6 and P?? from the looks of the pic, it doesnt look like u gutted the insides of those characters
No, I didn't gut them. It doesn't bother me too much so I just left them alone. I didn't want to dig in there with a nail or etching tool just to gut them out. Plus, it's really not that noticeable sitting on magnetic grey. At least to me it's not. It may be a different story if I had gotten white or silver, though.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
toojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
toojayz's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome and congrats on the new truck! Looks awesome!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea.. true....maybe i do that next weekend.. got extra paint?? heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwai lo View Post
No, I didn't gut them. It doesn't bother me too much so I just left them alone. I didn't want to dig in there with a nail or etching tool just to gut them out. Plus, it's really not that noticeable sitting on magnetic grey. At least to me it's not. It may be a different story if I had gotten white or silver, though.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea.. true....maybe i do that next weekend.. got extra paint?? heheh
I actually do. Probably have about a third to half a can left. It's yours if you want it. Probably not gonna use it anymore and don't want it to go to waste. Although, a can is only 6 or 7 bucks at Home Depot. Just let me know if you wanna come take it off my hands.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to everyone else who left compliments.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
just an AnT

will that be enough?? oh and also, im assuming there is no need to clear coat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwai lo View Post
I actually do. Probably have about a third to half a can left. It's yours if you want it. Probably not gonna use it anymore and don't want it to go to waste. Although, a can is only 6 or 7 bucks at Home Depot. Just let me know if you wanna come take it off my hands.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it'll be enough. And no need to clear coat.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from Alaska!

Nice looking truck. I like the plasti-dipped badges. Still debating whether to debadge or plasti-dip. Decisions decisions.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
cool. ill prolly just buy it from the hardware store here like half a block away and work on it during the work week... LOL... thanks for the info and great car!
No worries.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
gwai lo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Welcome from Alaska!

Nice looking truck. I like the plasti-dipped badges. Still debating whether to debadge or plasti-dip. Decisions decisions.
Thanks for the welcome.

U can always plasti dip first then debadge if u don't like the look. The plasti dip will easily come off the badges too if u want to take it off.