Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Past and Future Taco Owner

Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Monumental is on a distinguished road
Navy: Surface Warfare Officer
Monumental's Tacoma Gallery
Past and Future Taco Owner

Hi. I stumbled across this site researching my new Tacoma purchase. I'm a big fan of Tacoma trucks. I had a 2007 2WD Pre-Runner Access Cab MT for about two years before I traded it in on a Sienna due to my growing family. Currently, I'm driving a 2005 Rav4. It's a great little SUV and I've done some light off-roading in it- my father-in-law wasn't sure I'd get him home. I also used to have a 2000 MR2 Spyder that I loved, so I'm a bit of a Toyota fan overall. Here in the next month or two I'm going to buy a 2011 4WD Off-Road Access Cab AT and can't wait!

About me- I'm currently living in western Nebraska, but originally from Oklahoma and looking to get back down that way, probably in Ft Worth. So I'm glad to see some of the rides organized on here are in those areas. I graduated from Oklahoma State University and then did about 6.5 years active Navy as a Surface Warfare Officer. I'm a Reservist now.

I'm not much of a gear-head, but I look forward to trying some of the mods I've read about on here. You guys have some great looking trucks. I've always liked the idea of off-roading and it's great to find a site with so much information on it to get me started. This site has already saved me money by educating me on sliders and steering me away from the OEM tube steps, so big thanks!

A couple questions to start off. The only accessory I'm planning on buying from the dealer is the bed mat. Is there anything else that's considered worth the cost? The brochure and website both list the front skid plate as standard on the Pre-runner and 4x4, but I've seen them on the lot without one. Is that something they should add for free if it's not already on?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome, and as far as the stock skid plate, I hear that its not really worth it. Pretty thin and really is just for looks. Good luck with the purchase and new truck!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from south of ya!

Don't know what to tell you about the skid plate but I do know a lot of guys wait and get their bed mats off of craigslist. Or you might want to check TRDparts4U.com, might be cheaper than getting it though the dealer.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
TacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AL
TacoAL's Tacoma Gallery
Good to have ya here! I take it Toyota runs in your blood and there might be a Supra some where down the line?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Monumental is on a distinguished road
Navy: Surface Warfare Officer
Monumental's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone! I agree about the skid plate being cheaply made, but I figure it's better than nothing. Thanks for the link to TRD parts, but the deal I'm getting on accessories thru USAA is even lower than that!

I found out yesterday that a co-worker has an 05 Tacoma off-road and there's at least one other guy on this site from this town, so hopefully we can put some rides together.