1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member soon to get a Tacoma!!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TacTeacher, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    TacTeacher

TacTeacher [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None...YET!
    Hello all,

I found out about this forum from a co-worker who has a "significant other" who participates here. Unfortunately I don't know his name here on the forum or I would credit him.

I am about to purchase (hopefully) a 2009 - 2011 Toyota Tacoma with a TRD Off Road Package.

My background includes US Army as a Medic (91B, 91W, 68W), local law enforcement (patrol, investigator, tactical plans and operations/Entry Team Commander), law enforcement instructor for tactical certifications in Alabama, and I am transitioning into TN State level Emergency Management Operations.

My goal for the Tacoma is to modify it to create a vehicle that allows me to be prepared for almost anything. Off road, bug out, all weather, SHTF (**** Hit the Fan), get anywhere I need to go regardless of the terrain, zombies have attacked, Red Dawn 2011, etc.

Crew cab to carry gear and other necessary "stuff", camper top for additional storage, sleeping.

Winch front bumper and a good tough rear bumper.

Skid plates are a must.

Short of armor plating it or loosing my mind and going all "A-Team" on it. I intend to have some fun with this truck and build it for "preparedness", but I want it to look nice too. Maybe even scare people off of the road in front of me ;).

I look forward to reading and learning here. You'll find that I am a no BS kind of guy and will be respectfull but direct.

Thanks for the opportunity to be here. I'm looking forward to it!!!!

TT

2. Jun 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    ahproh

ahproh Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    First of all thank you for your military service!

Welcome to the forums and I have just joined TW myself. Your goals with your future truck is similar with my plans for my future truck. More specifically, the truck being ready for in an event of a zombie apocalypse.

With that being said, have you thought of waiting for 2012 to see if they are having a redesign? Purely speculation but what if it comes with a sunroof and the updated v6. I really want one now but 2012 is just right around the corner.

Kick back and enjoy the ride.

-Ahproh

3. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    welcome! Zombie attack vehicle> cant wait to see your build.

4. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    Welcome toTW! :wave:

5. Jun 24, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Welcome!

6. Jun 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    TidalWave

TidalWave I have a shovel and no one will miss you...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mendy
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB
    4" Maxtrac Spindle lift, 33" BFG A/T, Avid weld on rock sliders and rear bumper, Smoked Projector Headlights, smoked tails and fogs, HID healights and fogs, flowmaster exhaust, Wet Okoles, debadged. Ready to take your milk money.
    Welcome from AZ! Sounds like you will have one hell of a ride...

7. Jun 24, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    TacTeacher

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None...YET!
    It'll take time and I am definately open to suggestions. I am trying to keep it "reasonable" since this will be a family vehicle as well. This combined with the fact that I am a novice tinkerer means I'll have a lot of questions. All of this will be done at a minimum price without sacrificing quality, so I'll be buying some used parts and equipment. My initial thoughts:

How much lift? tire size? good all around wheels?

Front Winch Bumper?

Winch?

AUX lighting?

Rear Bumper?

Steps or Sliders?

Camper Tops?

Performance Chips?

Performance parts?

Snorkle?

Those are just some that come to mind off the top of my head. One part at a time purchases.

I know one thing that I wish existed out there would be a rear window where the complete window would roll down (electric or manual) for fast, broad access to the bed of the Tacoma. Plus it would be fun just to have that as an option that isn't common.

Those are my starter issues anyway:)

8. Jun 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    Racerboy221

Racerboy221 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.4, Std cab/bed, 18"wheels,airshocks
    18" Wheels & Tires, Airshocks, CB Radio
    Welcome to TW from AZ!

9. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    TacTeacher

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None...YET!
    So let's start with opinions on lift kits and tires.

I'm a short guy at 5' 9" and I'm mostly torso. I'm not looking to use a step ladder to get into the truck. Just a little bot of lift to get some slightly larger tires.

What size lift kit?

Any good suggestions for on/off road tires? I'm not rock climbing, but maybe a little bot of trail blazing.

Just to clarify... I'm looking for opinions including brand names and prices so I can get an idea of what I'm getting into here.

Thanks again to all!

TT

Products Discussed in

To Top