Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New Member soon to get a Tacoma!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
TacTeacher is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Ret. US Army, Emergency Management, Law Enforcement - Tactical Community
TacTeacher's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation New Member soon to get a Tacoma!!!

Hello all,

I found out about this forum from a co-worker who has a "significant other" who participates here. Unfortunately I don't know his name here on the forum or I would credit him.

I am about to purchase (hopefully) a 2009 - 2011 Toyota Tacoma with a TRD Off Road Package.

My background includes US Army as a Medic (91B, 91W, 68W), local law enforcement (patrol, investigator, tactical plans and operations/Entry Team Commander), law enforcement instructor for tactical certifications in Alabama, and I am transitioning into TN State level Emergency Management Operations.

My goal for the Tacoma is to modify it to create a vehicle that allows me to be prepared for almost anything. Off road, bug out, all weather, SHTF (**** Hit the Fan), get anywhere I need to go regardless of the terrain, zombies have attacked, Red Dawn 2011, etc.

Crew cab to carry gear and other necessary "stuff", camper top for additional storage, sleeping.

Winch front bumper and a good tough rear bumper.

Skid plates are a must.

Short of armor plating it or loosing my mind and going all "A-Team" on it. I intend to have some fun with this truck and build it for "preparedness", but I want it to look nice too. Maybe even scare people off of the road in front of me .

I look forward to reading and learning here. You'll find that I am a no BS kind of guy and will be respectfull but direct.

Thanks for the opportunity to be here. I'm looking forward to it!!!!

TT
Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
ahproh is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
ahproh's Tacoma Gallery
First of all thank you for your military service!

Welcome to the forums and I have just joined TW myself. Your goals with your future truck is similar with my plans for my future truck. More specifically, the truck being ready for in an event of a zombie apocalypse.

With that being said, have you thought of waiting for 2012 to see if they are having a redesign? Purely speculation but what if it comes with a sunroof and the updated v6. I really want one now but 2012 is just right around the corner.

Kick back and enjoy the ride.

-Ahproh
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome toTW!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
I have a shovel and no one will miss you...
TidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant future

Name: Mendy
TidalWave's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from AZ! Sounds like you will have one hell of a ride...
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Law Enforcement: Ret. US Army, Emergency Management, Law Enforcement - Tactical Community
Talking

It'll take time and I am definately open to suggestions. I am trying to keep it "reasonable" since this will be a family vehicle as well. This combined with the fact that I am a novice tinkerer means I'll have a lot of questions. All of this will be done at a minimum price without sacrificing quality, so I'll be buying some used parts and equipment. My initial thoughts:

How much lift? tire size? good all around wheels?

Front Winch Bumper?

Winch?

AUX lighting?

Rear Bumper?

Steps or Sliders?

Camper Tops?

Performance Chips?

Performance parts?

Snorkle?

Those are just some that come to mind off the top of my head. One part at a time purchases.

I know one thing that I wish existed out there would be a rear window where the complete window would roll down (electric or manual) for fast, broad access to the bed of the Tacoma. Plus it would be fun just to have that as an option that isn't common.

Those are my starter issues anyway
Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Racerboy221 will become famous soon enoughRacerboy221 will become famous soon enough

Army: Counter Intelligence at NSA
Name: Bill
Racerboy221's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Racerboy221
Welcome to TW from AZ!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
So let's start with opinions on lift kits and tires.

I'm a short guy at 5' 9" and I'm mostly torso. I'm not looking to use a step ladder to get into the truck. Just a little bot of lift to get some slightly larger tires.

What size lift kit?

Any good suggestions for on/off road tires? I'm not rock climbing, but maybe a little bot of trail blazing.

Just to clarify... I'm looking for opinions including brand names and prices so I can get an idea of what I'm getting into here.

Thanks again to all!

TT