1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 Tacoma dual battery set up

Discussion in 'New Members' started by twodeserts, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jun 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    twodeserts

twodeserts [OP] Member

Member:
    murrieta, ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4wd TRD
    front ARB, ARB bumper, Warn 9.5 winch, K&N system,
    been scouring the web for info on a dual battery system for my tacoma. got in touch with sierraexpeditions about the IBS system. looks pretty spiffy. i'm waiting on delivery of the dual batt tray, first.

2. Aug 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dbl Cab 4x4
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    I know its kind of old...but I wanna know about this!! Did ya end up getting it?

3. Aug 20, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    twodeserts

twodeserts [OP] Member

Member:
    murrieta, ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4wd TRD
    Yes. Tray by Columbia Overland, the IBS system, and two yellow optimas. Works perfectly.

4. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    MHS2846bg8

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    got pictures or a write up?

5. Aug 21, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    twodeserts

twodeserts [OP] Member

Member:
    murrieta, ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4wd TRD
    I can do pix, but might be a few days. I'm reinstalling the lumber rack and trying to better dustproof the shell/tailgate from our trip to Moab and surrounds.

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    twodeserts

twodeserts [OP] Member

Member:
    murrieta, ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4wd TRD
    This is for my 2004 Tacoma. Columbia Overland provided the tray ($150), and IBS was close to $390. Both are excellent. Columbia Overland has an install page on their site, and it is fairly easy to follow. The only thing I did differently was add a support for the inner battery as there is considerable weight and I didn't want the tray flexing constantly with offroad bouncing. I had that problem with the roof rack cracking the bed support beam up front as well as some sheet metal.

Once the fuse box support leg is removed (per instructions) and the fan shroud moved slightly to the passenger side, the tray fits right in. I made the support out of flat stock from Lowe's and 2 inch aluminum angle. I c-clamped the support to the frame as shown, with the aluminum angle snug against the tray bottom, and then drilled through the frame and secured the support with 5/16 bolts. The tray was also secured to the existing tray support on the truck and also to the aluminum angle.

The coolant overflow tank fits on an already included mount, but I felt there was something wrong, so I put white paint on top of the tank hoses and closed the hood, only to see paint on the hood when I raised it. There is a second set of holes for the mount, so I moved the mount to the lower hole position. Problem solved. Also, I had to trim the front right corner off the Columbia top piece as that corner was hitting the hood also.

I installed the IBS system close to the batteries (less wiring problems) and the control against the right side of the console.

I think the Columbia unit looks great.

Hmmmm. I'll post this text, but now I have to figure out how to include photos. Help!

I'll just use Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/twodeserts/sets/72157627376928333/

7. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    MHS2846bg8

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thats pretty freaking sweet...don't know if I can do dual batteries on the 1st gen like that...i'm already sportin the "tacoma lean" pretty good. lol

8. Aug 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    twodeserts

twodeserts [OP] Member

Member:
    murrieta, ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4wd TRD
    Only reason I did this was for the ARB fridge/freezer.

9. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:13 PM
    The_Sahara_Man_FJ80

The_Sahara_Man_FJ80 Never Settled

Member:
    First Name:
    Ish
    NorCal; Santa Cruz <—> SF <—> Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2004 2.7l Tacoma 4WD
    -- OME Dakar Leafs -- ToyTec adjustable shackles —allpro armor— -- Bilstein 5100s all around -- Toytec Coils -- Ebay UCAs w Allpro Uniballs --Toyota bug/wind deflector -- Weld Racing Scorpios -- SnugTop Hi-Liner — BedRug Bedliner --Spyder LED Tails -- Black Horse taillight guards --33"Cooper STT Pros -- 800w Quad row spot/flood LED bar -- Uniden Bearcat CB -- Firestik 5ft antenna -- K&N CAI
    that cockpit is a crows nest!!! haha sweet setup man

10. Oct 18, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    twodeserts

twodeserts [OP] Member

Member:
    murrieta, ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4wd TRD
    I just posted another photo into Flickr of the engine bay, as it looks now (18October2017), after installing some LED lights on the lumber rack. I need to still try to tidy up the wiring....haha

Products Discussed in

To Top