1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To rust proof or not??

Discussion in 'New Members' started by RedDragons, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jul 19, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    RedDragons

RedDragons [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport DC LB
    Hi all, new guy here , picked up my new 2011 taco TRD sport DC LB a few weeks ago. My first new ride ever. So far I'm still turning my head to look at her every time I park and walk in to my house. I already have plans in the works to lift , but for now I'm taking car of a few small things. First I have my whether tech mats on the way and this weekend I'm bringing it down to Zebart to have a remote starter installed. I have been trying to decide whether to get the rust proofing done also. Some say it is worth it others say it was worth it years ago but now it's a wast of cash because new cars nowadays are treated from the factory and don't rust anything like they use to. I live in OH and drive to NY often , both use salt to keep the roads clear in the winter. Any advise on this would be great.

PS pic coming soon, don't seem to work on an IPad2 but I'll figure it out.

2. Jul 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    First off, WELCOME!

Regarding the rust proofing, I personally spent a LOT of time debating on whether to rust proof mine or not. In the end I chose not to since the stuff can trap moisture underneath, allowing your frame to rust from the inside out, without you knowing about it until it's a real problem. I plan to keep my truck for as long as it runs and in my case, I will just touch up with a quality anti rust paint, such as POR-15, when necessary. On the flip side though, the paint on the undercarriage on our Tacoma's are notorious for being crappy and rusting prematurely. It's your call and it's a tough one especially since you live in an area where they salt the roads. Good luck!

3. Jul 20, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    RedDragons

RedDragons [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport DC LB
    ^^^thanks for the opinion on this topic, I think I'm leaning towards NOT rost proofing and doing like you said, going after it only when I see the first sings of it. I also plan on getting the undercarriage washed in the car wash as much as possible.

4. Jul 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    Has anyone tried to paint over the factory paint on the frame with success? Maybe something more heavy duty like a brush on frame paint from Eastwood?

Products Discussed in

To Top