Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Thinking about leaving the Ranger club...

Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Clubfoot is on a distinguished road
Name: Joshua
Clubfoot's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about leaving the Ranger club...

So I know this is early but I'm surfing the market for the next year to 18 months. I'm looking for a new or (most likely) a slightly used truck. I'm loosing my 00 Ford Ranger in my divorce I love that truck sooo much. But oh well, time for an upgrade. I'm looking for an extended cab 4x4. What I'm here for is to learn about the Taco world. All I hear from friends is if you want reliable go Toyota. Though with my Ranger 160k miles all OG. What I am most worried about is the trany. I am looking for a toy first, street truck second. My 08 R6s is my DD.
So if you guys could school on some things, maybe a few short stories and just maybe you guys can convert a Ford guy.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a 2005 ford ranger FX4 was a good truck, but my tacoma is 10,000 times better (rough estimate)
welcome too, if you made the switch i seriously doubt you'd regret it , oh and much much higher resale value

Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man welcome to TW, sorry to hear about the divorce
Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
I drove an older Ranger ('95) for a few years and then moved onto my '11 Tacoma. And the Taco blows the Ranger out of the water (in comfort, driveability, power, miles per gallon, safety, and overall design etc). That may seem like an unfair comparison, but I've also been in numerous much newer Rangers and it's a disappointment to say the least.

I hope to welcome you to the Taco owners club officially when you decide to pounce on the upside of a divorce; getting a fresh start (without the nagging)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
damn. Sorry to hear that man.

Tacoma's are better anyways

As far as wheeling trucks. 1st gen xtend cabs cannot be beat
Reliability x10000
resale value +100

Can't go wrong! You'll learn enough on the site to convert you, im sure
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I know you.

Well from what I have read 1st gens have rust and rear frame issues. 2nd gens have bad motor mounts on the 05s. The rear gears where trash on the 05 to 07ish offroad models. I haven't had a problem with my 2010. The clocksprings go bad early on the 05 to 07ish models causing a SRS light and driveline vibration is an issue on all 2nd gens but that is hit or miss. Lastly the 6 speeds aren't very good. One guy just posted 250K miles on his 06 6 speed V6.

Sorry about the divorce man.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
What do you mean the 6 speeds are not very good? My buddy has a 6 speed on his jeep and loves it. Or are you trying to say that auto is just the way to go? Because I definitely want auto, but I'll get whatever.
But thanks for the responds. I am leaning more towards a Tacoma...
Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 92 Toyota Pickup and put 186,000 miles on it and nothing was wrong with it. I traded it in for a Brand new Ranger and it was the biggest mistake I had ever made. That new ranger broke down 5 times in six months. I paid it off and finally sold it and got back to Toyota.

Welcome to TW

Good luck with everything and your search for a Tacoma
Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubfoot View Post
What do you mean the 6 speeds are not very good? My buddy has a 6 speed on his jeep and loves it. Or are you trying to say that auto is just the way to go? Because I definitely want auto, but I'll get whatever.
i dont have a 6 speed second gen, but i have read 1-2nd gear sucks because you have to be going really slow to shift into first and fast to shift into second, so when your in traffic and need to down shift you almost need to stop.

and at highway speeds in 6th gear the rpms are too high so the gas mileage sucks.

go first gen in my opinion, 95.5-04. only bad thing that i know of is frame rust
Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The throwout bearing in the 6speed seems to be a common problem. Get the 5spd auto.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Auto is better on these trucks. Way smoother, better fuel economy and far beefier.

The A750F is the same tranny pulled from the 4.7L V8.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV.
This is my 4th baby Toy and first 4x4 and first Tacoma
'77 372K miles
'84 290K miles
'95 140K miles
2011 2.5K miles
Still have the '95 so I don't have to haul firewood in the new one.
All 4 cyl manuals.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV.
This is my 4th baby Toy and first 4x4 and first Tacoma
'77 372K miles
'84 290K miles
'95 140K miles
2011 2.5K miles
Still have the '95 so I don't have to haul firewood in the new one.
All 4 cyl manuals.
Did your '84 die at 290K?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Well yeah, first gear on these 6 speed granny are about a half step down from a normal first. You just treat second as your new first. And first for only hills and wheeling, imo.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
im not reaaly a ford fan (ecspecially rangers) i think you will like the power of the 4.0. i have driven mainly chevys since i have been driving and i REALLY like my tacoma. there are a few things i wish i could change, but over all im happy. btw and welcome to TW! good luck.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #17
Eh, I wanna go with the new look because I love the style. So, sadly, I am ruling out 1st gens all together. I'm just tossing up between new or slightly used. I might be able to pick up what I want new for 28k... Plan on walking in with cash from a bank So, I'm going to haggle them to all hell.
Oh, I have to have these wheels too.
Can anyone tell me how wide they are?
http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2...-wheel_405.jpg
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I know this is early but I'm surfing the market for the next year to 18 months. I'm looking for a new or (most likely) a slightly used truck. I'm loosing my 00 Ford Ranger in my divorce I love that truck sooo much. But oh well, time for an upgrade. I'm looking for an extended cab 4x4. What I'm here for is to learn about the Taco world. All I hear from friends is if you want reliable go Toyota. Though with my Ranger 160k miles all OG. What I am most worried about is the trany. I am looking for a toy first, street truck second. My 08 R6s is my DD.
So if you guys could school on some things, maybe a few short stories and just maybe you guys can convert a Ford guy.
Welcome. You chose wisely.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #19
Oh, side note. Do the Reg cab's only come with the 2.7? Or can you get the 4.0 in them?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! lose the ranger!