Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New guy from Wisconsin

Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
canoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bill
canoeski's Tacoma Gallery
New guy from Wisconsin

Greetings,

I just joined after reading David K’s excellent write up on A-trac! I learned more here than from the manual and the dealers. The sales persons seem to know squat about the technical details, and seem afraid to refer you to someone who does know, maybe out of fear of loosing the sale.

I’m joining TW before I even have a Tacoma! But if the stars align I will place an order in the next 1-6 weeks. The only problem is you guys are making my decision on what option pkg/model to get! (I will soon star a new thread on that.)

Bio: I’m a mid 50’s male who has, in the past, enjoyed extended road trips in my 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck that always involve some off roading. Sometimes way off road, and almost always alone. Been to Utah (Moab area for a total of 6 weeks, but also the Wasatch in winter), Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. Not to mention the tree covered forest roads of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the UP of Michigan.

I have tended to regard my truck as a means to get out and away to do other things such as canoeing, mountain biking, and tele-skiing. (mostly canoeing and all-season camping these days.) I tend not to just go “fur-weeling” for the fun of it, but I can see the attraction, and would probably enjoy the challenge. Some of the Moab and Canyonlands driving was “pretty technical” by my standards, and was a hoot.

Most of my real 4 wheel needs in the foreseeable future will be in snow. I love to drive in snow, and we’ve been getting a lot around here and up north the past few years.

I look forward to picking your brains and vicariously sharing your off-road adventures!

~bill.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV
Born and raised in Milwaukee, WI
Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Aloha!
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW
Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
canoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all for the welcome(s)!

It looks like us Mid-westerners are out numbered by the West-coasters. That's cool; we have a lot to learn from the experience your terrain teaches us. Then again, we don't have to go to the mountains to experience everyday snow-wheeling for a third of the year.

4W4B: I really like your build. That's almost exactly like what my set up will look like, with similar style topper on a white Access Cab. Except you got the cooler black fenders, grill, and bumper. I've been trying to figure out with the dealers how to "down-grade" to black: no give.

Did you find that with the 3" lift you could retain the stock shocks?
Do you find the 4 cyl adequate in hills with a load?

Nice pics with Mt Rose in the background!

Where in Milwaukee did you grow up? (me too- Eastside)

~bill.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeski View Post

It looks like us Mid-westerners are out numbered by the West-coasters. That's cool; we have a lot to learn from the experience your terrain teaches us. Then again, we don't have to go to the mountains to experience everyday snow-wheeling for a third of the year. This year the snow never left Mt. Rose.

4W4B: I really like your build. That's almost exactly like what my set up will look like, with similar style topper on a white Access Cab. Except you got the cooler black fenders, grill, and bumper. I've been trying to figure out with the dealers how to "down-grade" to black: no give. That's one reason why I didn't get the 5 package. I got the convience package instead. The goodies I wanted with the black fenders, grill, and bumper.
I bought a used (<8months old) lift. OME 885s with OME Nitrocharger Sport up front & OME Dakar leafs with Billies 5100s in the rear.
I don't tow anything and haven't had much weight in the back. It's not a daily driver it's a play Toy. We use it for 4Wheelin, camping & exploring. Works fine on hills downshift for some.
Good eye have you been here before? Pic taken around 1/2 mile north of my house as the crow flies & 1 1/2 to 2 miles as the Taco drives
29th & Melvina untill 2nd grade then 113th & North Ave Wauwatosa
~bill.
My '11 play Toy Taco (20 to 23.5mpg) & '95 PreTaco wood hauler. Daily driver '01 Saturn L200 (32 to34 mpg) is in garage.

My sig pic before cropping & downgrading. A great spot to watch the fireworks from.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #11

Thanks for the welcomes! (I never got one from Hawaii in any other forum! :-) )

4W4B: A good teleski buddy/instructor of mine lives in Truckee. He was one of two buddies that got me turned on to Toyota 4x4's. I've visited many times (but sadly not recently). Skied Mt Rose a couple of times and once backcountry the last time I was there. You are lucky to have such outstanding recreational resources at hand. (not to mention, no income tax!)
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
welcome from jersey!!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from Vermont
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #15
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
welcome
Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Thanks for the welcomes! (I never got one from Hawaii in any other forum! :-) )

4W4B: A good teleski buddy/instructor of mine lives in Truckee. He was one of two buddies that got me turned on to Toyota 4x4's. I've visited many times (but sadly not recently). Skied Mt Rose a couple of times and once backcountry the last time I was there. You are lucky to have such outstanding recreational resources at hand. (not to mention, no income tax!)
Next time you come out this way bring me some squeeky cheese.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Next time you come out this way bring me some squeeky cheese.
Sorry, can't do that.
The Wisconsin Cheese Board just issued a TSB to fix squeeky cheese.

(I wonder if most guys from "not 'round these parts" know what we are talking about )
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Sorry, can't do that.
The Wisconsin Cheese Board just issued a TSB to fix squeeky cheese.

(I wonder if most guys from "not 'round these parts" know what we are talking about )
It's a TSB, not a recall that means it's optional. They know about it, but will only fix it if you complian about it.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
pojo82 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
pojo82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It looks like us Mid-westerners are out numbered by the West-coasters. That's cool; we have a lot to learn from the experience your terrain teaches us. Then again, we don't have to go to the mountains to experience everyday snow-wheeling for a third of the year.

4W4B: I really like your build. That's almost exactly like what my set up will look like, with similar style topper on a white Access Cab. Except you got the cooler black fenders, grill, and bumper. I've been trying to figure out with the dealers how to "down-grade" to black: no give.

~bill.
welcome from NE Wisconsin, we are definitley outnumbered on here. ive been a Tacomaworld member for about 2 yrs now and this site has been a lot of help
Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #20
Erich
Surferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Erich
Surferdude's Tacoma Gallery
Hey from south of the Cheese Border.

Hey Ski,
I'm probably not too far from you, just south of the cheese border in lake county, NE IL.

My Taco has only been with me for 2 days, so I'm new here too.

BTW, I'm a Boarder Patroller (Ski Patrol) at Wilmot, mighty Wilmot Mountain. If ya wanna free your heels there, lemme know and I'll get you on for free.

Also, after a good snow, it's a lot of fun to tear through the parking lot, up the grassy hills on your way out.....ya know, or so I've heard.