Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Thinking about buying a Taco

Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Erich
Surferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Erich
Surferdude's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about buying a Taco

Great site guys.

So, I currently own what I call, the Beast. A 2002 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab 4x4, 5.9l 360 gasser.

Anyway, my kids are getting older, one is driving her own Jeep (I bought), I'm selling the 30' camper and basically, I don't "need" the Beast's room and capabilities like I did. Or rationalized that I did...

So I'm thinking about a smaller pickup.

My wife has a Toyota Highlander, amazing vehicle. Plus, I won't buy any vehicle any time soon from a manufacturer that accepted a bailout.

Is this a reasonable deal?

Here's the Taco I'm looking at, not sure how URL links work here yet:
http://carmax.com/enus/view-car/defa...7-e5b9eb3d98bc

Oh, I live in northern IL, cold, snow country, lots of traffic....frequent visits to Wisconsin and tow an 18' boat.

Anyway, just looking for your input on the above truck and switching from a full to mid-size pickup.

Semper Fi
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
good choice. you don't know what you've been missing

and x2 get the V6. Since you're used to gassing up the dodge it will seem so cheap to fill
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
X3 and welcome
Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
dont think about it
Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from Vermont
As the guys said, go with the six & factory tow.
I towed a lot with the V6 & just wished I had the factory tow package.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Chicago Dan has a spectacular aura aboutChicago Dan has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Enlisted: Medical Corpsman Commissioned: Intelligence Officer
Name: Dan
Chicago Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Don't Think Twice

I got my Tacoma three weeks ago, and I love it. I'd echo the comments re the 6 cylinder, you'll need it to tow a boat.

My past trucks included a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4, which I loved (but my son in Alaska needed a 4X4 so I gave it to him), and a 2010 Ford F-150 which was too big (my wife had a hard time driving it).

So, I researched and found that the last year for Dakotas is 2011, and also found that the Tacoma is extremely highly rated for "mid-sized" trucks.

After driving it for 3 weeks I can see why. This is one quality vehicle- solid, quiet (for a truck) and I'm still getting over 20mpg average city/highway.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
V6 and DoubleCab. Do it. Do it.

Welcome
Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Don't think about it be about it.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
Erich
Surferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Erich
Surferdude's Tacoma Gallery
Manual vs Auto, MPG?

If I didn't already post this, I agree, V6 or bust. Didn't realize that one was a 4 banger, no thanks.

I hadn't thought about going back to a manual tranny but I found a blue V6 with a stick.

However, it shows the mpgs at 14/18, which is less than the auto. That makes no sense to me, manuals are usually more fuel efficient. Do they figure I'm going to be popping the clutch and burning rubber all the time? Granted, that is likely...

So, is that true, manual gets worse mpg's than auto?

I'm also thinking I would want to transfer my newly purchased Hankook Dynapro AT/M tires. They're 265/70/17 which I think is the largest that fits w/o a lift.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude View Post
If I didn't already post this, I agree, V6 or bust. Didn't realize that one was a 4 banger, no thanks.

I hadn't thought about going back to a manual tranny but I found a blue V6 with a stick.

However, it shows the mpgs at 14/18, which is less than the auto. That makes no sense to me, manuals are usually more fuel efficient. Do they figure I'm going to be popping the clutch and burning rubber all the time? Granted, that is likely...

So, is that true, manual gets worse mpg's than auto?

I'm also thinking I would want to transfer my newly purchased Hankook Dynapro AT/M tires. They're 265/70/17 which I think is the largest that fits w/o a lift.
The MPG's are all about how you drive it, and what you haul/tow/put on or in it. As for the tires, i had 275/65/18 on mine before the lift and had no rubbing issues, you'll be fine.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV
Yes the tires will fit.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #15
Mlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shedMlrwerks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Mlrwerks's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome Surferdude.
Lots of good info to be found at TW.

I would suggest you personally visit a couple Toyota dealers, or check out their websites and inventory. That CarMax price doesn't look very attractive.
If you aren't behind the eight ball to buy now, do yourself a favor and shop around.