Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

Tacoma 4x4 questions

Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
rigger7 is on a distinguished road
rigger7's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma 4x4 questions

Plan getting a Tacoma in the spring to use as a daily driver and a firewood hauler.
I'm undecided as to weather or not to get the V6 or the 4 cly Tacoma.
I plan on sticking with the Extra cab as I might have to once and a while drive around my kids,but I do not want to sacrifice bed length.
Suggestions?
rigger7
Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
4 cyl/5spd - set of air ride airbags for when you haul wood. That's what worked for me. Just my opinion FWIW.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
if your gonna haul wood I would get the 6cyl.. more power and you wont be dissapointed..
Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV
'11 Taco 4x4 AC & '95 2wd PreTaco both 4Banger 5 Speeds.
The '95 PreTaco is used just to haul firewood (1/4 to 1/2 cord at a time 12 times a year) with no problems.
The '11 is my DD & for hitting the trails.

4 cyl = power + better mpgs
6 cyl = more power + less mpgs
It's your choice.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
rigger7 is on a distinguished road
rigger7's Tacoma Gallery
The wood hauling would be done 4-6 times a year,heating the house,for the most part it would be daily driver and not a lot of highway.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
ಠ_ಠ
DeadWeasel is on a distinguished road

Name: Rex
DeadWeasel's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 5spd 2.7L '09

I love my 4banger taco. I hauled 600lbs of solar panels or batteries in it, 5 days a week, for 1.5 yrs with no problem.

Do I envy the 4L tacos, sometimes. Do I need 4L for anything I do? Not really. Will I regret the 2.7L when I've attached 1000 lbs of plate bumpers, skid plates, rockers, etc? Maybe a little.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
the 2.7 4 banger will probably do fine for what you want. and with the 4x4 suspension you probably wont need airbags for the wood just as long as your leafs are fine and you dont plan on stacking it as high as possible. the guy i bought my truck from used it for exactly what you want to use yours for. he put about 5k on it a year, mostly driving around mccall and hauling fire wood and occasionally his 2 place snowmobile trailer. unless you get the double cab you wont lose bed space and you will have a 6ft bed.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
rigger7,

I would suggest reading as many pertinant posts here as you can before deciding how to spec out your truck. Your reasons for the access cab are valid, kids. Few adults will like to ride far back there though. If you are looking at new, I caution you. Do not accept Dunlop Tires on your truck under any condition unless you are prepared to change underwear after every drive.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
the 2.7 4 banger will probably do fine for what you want. and with the 4x4 suspension you probably wont need airbags for the wood just as long as your leafs are fine and you dont plan on stacking it as high as possible. ...
My 2007 squatted too much for my liking when I loaded the bed with firewood just a little over level with the side rails. It did the same thing with my 600 lb ATV back there (to provide all the facts, my ATV was loaded aft with tailgate down--I didn't want to take out my tool box). Bought my truck used with 23K and was 2 months past eligibility for the leaf spring TSB. Air bags were a solution for me; I've had them on for 9 months --- no problems to this point. I like them because I can air them up for the occasions I carry a load, and air them down for DD commute.

Might not be a factor on a newer truck ... I suggest hauling a load stock; if it squats too much for your liking, then it's an option to be considered. FWIW
Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Chief Pal Guy

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
rigger7,

I would suggest reading as many pertinant posts here as you can before deciding how to spec out your truck. Your reasons for the access cab are valid, kids. Few adults will like to ride far back there though. If you are looking at new, I caution you. Do not accept Dunlop Tires on your truck under any condition unless you are prepared to change underwear after every drive.
X2! Dunflops = FAIL (especially in rain )