1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma 4x4 questions

Discussion in 'New Members' started by rigger7, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    rigger7

rigger7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Plan getting a Tacoma in the spring to use as a daily driver and a firewood hauler.
    I'm undecided as to weather or not to get the V6 or the 4 cly Tacoma.
    I plan on sticking with the Extra cab as I might have to once and a while drive around my kids,but I do not want to sacrifice bed length.
    Suggestions?
    rigger7

2. Jan 1, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    4 cyl/5spd - set of air ride airbags for when you haul wood. That's what worked for me. Just my opinion FWIW.

3. Jan 1, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    if your gonna haul wood I would get the 6cyl.. more power and you wont be dissapointed..

4. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]
    '11 Taco 4x4 AC & '95 2wd PreTaco both 4Banger 5 Speeds.
    The '95 PreTaco is used just to haul firewood (1/4 to 1/2 cord at a time 12 times a year) with no problems.
    The '11 is my DD & for hitting the trails.
    [​IMG]
    4 cyl = power + better mpgs
    6 cyl = more power + less mpgs
    It's your choice.

5. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    DD would indicate 4banger. HOw much firewood do you haul and how often?? If it's a business or a weekly thing- Might find that a bit anemic/frustrating.
    If it's a load or two a year to keep the house warm-the 4 fly will do the job.

6. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    rigger7

rigger7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    The wood hauling would be done 4-6 times a year,heating the house,for the most part it would be daily driver and not a lot of highway.

7. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    09 : 4x4 : 2.7L : 5spd
    32" BFG ATs, Removed 2nd air filter, Brighter Reverse Lights, ARE Cap, LED maps/dome, ScanGauge II, zXe headlights
    4x4 5spd 2.7L '09

I love my 4banger taco. I hauled 600lbs of solar panels or batteries in it, 5 days a week, for 1.5 yrs with no problem.

Do I envy the 4L tacos, sometimes. Do I need 4L for anything I do? Not really. Will I regret the 2.7L when I've attached 1000 lbs of plate bumpers, skid plates, rockers, etc? Maybe a little. :dancingbacon:

8. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    the 2.7 4 banger will probably do fine for what you want. and with the 4x4 suspension you probably wont need airbags for the wood just as long as your leafs are fine and you dont plan on stacking it as high as possible. the guy i bought my truck from used it for exactly what you want to use yours for. he put about 5k on it a year, mostly driving around mccall and hauling fire wood and occasionally his 2 place snowmobile trailer. unless you get the double cab you wont lose bed space and you will have a 6ft bed.

9. Jan 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    rigger7,

I would suggest reading as many pertinant posts here as you can before deciding how to spec out your truck. Your reasons for the access cab are valid, kids. Few adults will like to ride far back there though. If you are looking at new, I caution you. Do not accept Dunlop Tires on your truck under any condition unless you are prepared to change underwear after every drive.

10. Jan 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    My 2007 squatted too much for my liking when I loaded the bed with firewood just a little over level with the side rails. It did the same thing with my 600 lb ATV back there (to provide all the facts, my ATV was loaded aft with tailgate down--I didn't want to take out my tool box). Bought my truck used with 23K and was 2 months past eligibility for the leaf spring TSB. Air bags were a solution for me; I've had them on for 9 months --- no problems to this point. I like them because I can air them up for the occasions I carry a load, and air them down for DD commute.

Might not be a factor on a newer truck ... I suggest hauling a load stock; if it squats too much for your liking, then it's an option to be considered. FWIW

11. Jan 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    X2! Dunflops = FAIL (especially in rain :eek:)

Products Discussed in

To Top