Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > New Members

Notices

New to forum & having trouble starting

Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Zuey is on a distinguished road
Zuey's Tacoma Gallery
New to forum & having trouble starting

Hi everyone; just found your site and was reading some of the posts and decided to join. I have a 2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 w/a 2.7L 4 cyl, and 5 speed manual tranny. It's been a good truck and Toyota was nice enough to replace the frame a few years back so most of the underside is new.

I was having trouble starting it at the beginning of the week. Thatís how I found this website. It would start but it acted like it had a flooded carb. I had to floor the pedal to get it to start. It wouldn't idle either but if I keep giving it gas it would stay running. As soon as I let off the gas, it stalled. I tried to replace the fuel filter but ran into trouble reaching the rear fitting so I stopped. But now after getting the truck started and keeping it running for about 5 minutes (till it warmed up), the problem seemed to go away. Now itís running fine. My concern is Iím driving 6 hours next weekend and donít want trouble on the road.

After reading some of the posts, Iím thinking of removing the throttle body and cleaning it along with the IAC valve. Itís never been done since Iíve owned it. Then I should also be able to change the fuel filter. I was also thinking of putting a new set of plugs in it.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you've not done the plugs that would be a good start.

I'm leaning towards your Throttle Position Sensor for the throttle issue.

While the truck is running tap the Mass Air Flow sensor lighty with the handle of a screwdriver; if the idle changes..the MAF is bad.

I put a little LUCAS FUEL CLEANER in the tank to lube and keep the injectors from sticking open.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
welcome bro these guys on here will make you do and be able to fix all kinds of stuff..
Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome.
Sounds like you have some ideas already.
I do not have an idea how to fix it but maybe a thread specific to your issue in the 1 Gen section so more members are able to help. More views that way.
Good luck with the repair
Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you on the right path.

Welcome to TW
Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
This is a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
If you've not done the plugs that would be a good start.

I'm leaning towards your Throttle Position Sensor for the throttle issue.

While the truck is running tap the Mass Air Flow sensor lighty with the handle of a screwdriver; if the idle changes..the MAF is bad.

I put a little LUCAS FUEL CLEANER in the tank to lube and keep the injectors from sticking open.
Good start ^
Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV